Hair Loss Is Caused By Iron Deficiency .....

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know how much truth there is behind this. My father's been Anemic for decades, he's almost 60 and has a full, thick head of hair.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No. Chronic iron deficiency will cause hairloss, but most people get more than enough iron from their diet.

powersam

Reaction score
did anyone actually read the article?

'We believe that treatment for hair loss is enhanced when iron deficiency, with or without anemia, is treated,'

what they are saying is that having even a minor iron deficiency treated may help your other hairloss treatments

"Our theory is that lower iron levels decrease the threshold for developing hair loss of any kind in genetically predisposed individuals," Cotsarelis says. "So people prone to develop even hereditary hair loss, if their iron levels are low, it accelerates that process. We think it's because the hair follicles grow so much, they require a lot of iron."

all of that seems very sensible and straightforward to me. getting your iron levels checked would be no big deal either. or you could just eat more of these foods, tofu, lentils, beans, oysters, spinach, prunes, raisins, lean beef.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I do believe that there is some validity in this theory.

I have embarked on iron supplementation out of concern of a defficienty that I am certain I have had prior noticing any significant hair loss. Yes, I have not had my local doctor run any tests, sometimes you out right know.

My lack of iron intake would have been due to a diet lacking red meat or vegtables that could have yielded what I was missing in terms of RDI.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon in quest for an answer to my problem however I will monitor my results closely in order to see if there is any correlation between the two.

To further probe the idea, what does iron defficiency have to do with diffuse thinners as opposed to traditional male pattern baldness?

I for one am a diffuse thinner...

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure..

I've read that the RDI for Iron is 15mg-18mg.

I am taking a supplement that ontains 250mg Ferrous Sulfate (Iron).

Day 4, coming onto day 5.

The benefits of which I am yet to notice.

It is really hit and miss with these internals, vitamins, minerals, etc. Sure they make an impact on your health, generally for the better but trying to find a combination that works for your hair is puzzling to say the least.

The best way to introduce this into your regime is to cut back on as many vitamins and minerals as you can (if your already taking any) and begin a round of Iron loading.

I have no idea how long you would need to load yourself full of Iron before an effect would present itself. You may either stop shedding your hair or develop some other side effects from Iron overload, some serious ones too.