Hair Loss over last 3 years - leave it shaved off, or do I have some time left.

Cro86

Reaction score
Hi, I am 29 and from London I first noticed my hairline started to recede ever so slightly in about 2011, the left hand side was slightly thinner than the rest.

I had bald fades and shape ups from the age of 20. I started noticing the hairline loss when I was 25. Strangely when I went travelling across South America for a few months, I felt as though when I came back my hair was thicker and my hairline was stronger

2012 was the year it really started to kick in. I noticed I was getting a "Wolverine affect", my crown wasn't growing at the rate of the rest, resulting in bushy hair on either side. My hairline continued to degenerate. I grew my hair back to a decent length in mid 2013 as I felt it would cover up the thinning. It was OK, till summer 2014, when I noticed my hairline getting really bad and my crown showing definite thinning. I am left with the pictures attached, and ask you guys what you think? Do I have some time left? Should I really grow it out long? Or keep it shaved?
I recently shaved it to see how it would look. I have attached pictures of the hair loss with longer hair, my hairline and what I look like with a shaved head and with hair. (I would leave it shaved although I think it looks intimidating at work and to women lol!)

Thanks!

IMAG0025.jpgIMAG0036.jpgIMAG0052.jpgIMAG0053_1.jpgIMAG0056.jpgIMAG0842.jpgIMAG0588_1.jpg

I am not going down the minoxidil route, I am using castor oil and natural supplements, but won't be using regaine or anything like that. Opinions appreciated

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm...hard to say. I think you should keep it very short but not shave it all off until it gets worse. Plus I think you have the head shape to pull off the shaved look better than most guys. Beard and skin tone help too - middle eastern?

Cro86

Reaction score
Indian

- - - Updated - - -

Eventually I will take it all off, I am not going to rock a Bobby Charlton type look. But I did get annoyed with styling it to cover up the receding/thinning?

Keep it short? You reckon? My barber reckoned the shorter I kept it the more prominent the crown patch looked. He recommended growing out as much as I could

Simac

Reaction score
Last photo u look best mate. Defo shave. Your one of the rare type that look good with shaved head. Suit you

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
^^ what Simac said on second thoughts buzzed best or a number 1.

And lol at Bobby Charlton, definitely don't want to end up with a iffy combover.

Bottlecap

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not going down the minoxidil route, I am using castor oil and natural supplements, but won't be using regaine or anything like that. Opinions appreciated

Would you try propecia? or Saw Pamentto if you want to go natural.
finasteride and Minoxidil are the only real treatents at the moment which work. I reckon you'd have good regrowth.

If you don't fancy any meds then your really lucky that you've got an ideal head shaped and skin tone for a buzzcut/skinhead. I'm jealous!

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Damn you really arent willing to try ****. Pretty sad, just you look like an ideal candidate for minoxidil but whatever. I'm not sure the bald head suits you Buddy in the last pic, maybe have it a bit longer. Have ever even tried finasteride?

Cro86

Reaction score
I did look at Regaine but it falls out after anyway once you stop using it? I don't know I am still considering the possibility of it. No I wouldnt take propecia. Saw palmetto I have looked into.

This wouldn't be an issue but people at work were slightly shocked at the shaved head which made me reconsider. Opinion was really divided amongst family/friends too.

Misanthrope

Reaction score
You honestly look better shaved, so I'd avoid using propecia and messing with your hormones. But if you're concerned about your hair, I'd stick with topicals - Keto shampoo, topical spironolactone, possibly Prox-n (from Dr. Proctor), and whatever else looks promising. That will slow the loss down at least.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All we have is finasteride/dutasteride/experimentals/transplants.

Other then those you take the razor to your head and shave it.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's sad how people aren't even willing to even try propecia because its the closest thing we've got to a cure. Sure it has a bad rep and that's understandabld , but there is really no solid reason not to at least try it for a couple days. Many people experience zero sides.

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally I think you should give finasteride a try to maintain what you have. I think you look good shaved but there's a large cosmetic difference between shaved with some hair and shaved with no hair