Hair Regrowth In Alopecia Patients After Fecal Transplant For Recurrent Cdi.

BaldAsshole

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has emerged as a new treatment option for Clostridium difficile-infected (CDI) patients, but two new case studies highlight another possible condition for which FMT may be beneficial: alopecia areata (AA).

One case involved a 38-year-old male with alopecia universalis and recurrent CDI. After FMT, the patient experienced resolution of his CDI, but also reported new hair growth at a follow-up appointment 8 weeks later. He had previously received steroid injections to treat his alopecia but they had proven ineffective; he was not on any other treatment during the time of regrowth. Three years after FMT, he still reports hair growth on his arms, scalp, and face.

The second case involved a 20-year-old male with ileocolic Crohn's disease and alopecia universalis. Five recurrent courses of antibiotics did not resolve his CDI but he became CDI-free after the FMT procedure. After transplantation, his hair loss improved from stage S4b alopecia (95–99% hair loss) to stage S2 (25–49% hair loss). Previous treatment with intralesional corticosteroid injections were ineffective and he only received two additional injections after FMT, which were administered to his scalp. However, after FMT he saw hair regrowth in not only his scalp, but other parts of the body as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that this is not about androgenetic alopecia, but I thought that this could be valuable information for some people.

I cannot post the picture because I'm a new user.

jh94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quite interesting as I've just watched Kurzgesagt microbiome video on youtube. The fact that hair loss is linked to real health issues does point to the gut and diet as a link.

Maybe poor health contributes to the calcification of the scalp, yet the body doesn't reverse the calcification once health is restored, so hair loss remains.