Hair Shed Due To male pattern baldness Or Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Agates209

My Regimen
Reaction score
8CAEC5AF-4A6F-4A70-B750-25C7C9E335B5.jpeg
E48B8C31-FD3C-4649-9674-134CFCC0611A.jpeg
5B4606CA-045D-46AC-8E70-09E5871C537D.jpeg
2 years ago I started shedding excessive hair and have every day since. I first noticed a change in my hair when I was 22 (almost 27 now) when I got a haircut and noticed there was a patch with no hair on the left side of my hairline.

I’ve had dandruff since I was a kid. I’m wondering if the hair shedding is because of senorrheic dermatitis because lately my head has been itching a lot and my eyebrows also, my eyebrows are also flaky but I have always suffered from dry skin so I’m pretty confused. Sometimes I’ll get a burning red spot above my eyebrows that’s usually gone the next day. I was just prescribed Finasteride but unsure if I should take it.

What are your opinions based on these pictures? Thanks!!

Attachments

• E0B3BF69-DAE5-4F27-AE5E-7E6A3FC1ED57.jpeg
    E0B3BF69-DAE5-4F27-AE5E-7E6A3FC1ED57.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 8308C442-E8AF-475B-AFFC-552CEE8D6C4A.jpeg
    8308C442-E8AF-475B-AFFC-552CEE8D6C4A.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 342

Agates209

My Regimen
Reaction score
I should mention there wasn’t really any change in my hair until one day I noticed major shedding and it just hasn’t stopped since.

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Take that finasteride. Cut it in half tho and work your way up. Bet your itch goes away in a few days.

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride cured my Seb derm at the very least if I didn't have male pattern baldness. I actually started with .25 and within a few days the redness and flakes went away and haven't bothered me again after 10 months.

Reaction score
It is never sure just by looking at the images that what is the possible reason for hair fall. That's why you should go to a well-educated doctor to get deeper insights about your hair loss condition.

Agates209

My Regimen
Reaction score
he is diffuse thinning, it is extremely obvious and the seb derm to go along with it only further confirms it
So it’s from seb derm and NOT male pattern baldness or could it be both? Would Finasteride help me, or do I need to address the seb derm itself? I should mention I haven’t seen a dermatologist to confirm the seb derm I’m only speculating maybe that’s why my hair is falling out at such a high rate. Could the Finasteride stop my hair from falling out because of seb derm? Sorry for so many questions lol it’s all just pretty confusing.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it’s from seb derm and NOT male pattern baldness or could it be both? Would Finasteride help me, or do I need to address the seb derm itself? I should mention I haven’t seen a dermatologist to confirm the seb derm I’m only speculating maybe that’s why my hair is falling out at such a high rate. Could the Finasteride stop my hair from falling out because of seb derm? Sorry for so many questions lol it’s all just pretty confusing.
Fina won't stop your hair loss from seb derm because utçs not a seb derm meds. But if your seb derm has common cause with hair loss and happens to be male pattern baldness then it should, un theory, help w both.

Nobody here can tell you exactly what is going on with you by looking at pics (besides the fact that most are not dermatologists).

Flakiness and itchyness of the scalp is pretty common for people experiencing hair loss. Go see a derma and figure out what u have.

I suspect you have male pattern baldness but itçs just a non-professional opinion

Agates209

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have male pattern baldness in the form of diffuse pattern thinning

The seb derm is not the cause of the hair shedding. The seb derm a byproduct of your male pattern baldness.

Like all forms of male pattern baldness it will continue onwards at your genetic rate, finasteride could potentially stop it or reverse it a bit, but that's up to you to decide. You will likely have to go see a dermatologist at some point.
Thanks for your help. I’ll see a derm when possible. But I didn’t think SD could be caused by male pattern baldness since it doesn’t only occur on the scalp? Actually I don’t notice any flaking on my scalp, just the front of my hairline and my eyebrows which I’m not sure if that’s because of SD or just dry skin in general since the rest of my skin Is dry also.

In any case, do you think a shampoo with keto could potentially help? I’m also thinking of trying minoxidil but not sure since I have really long hair, seems like it would be hard to apply.

Agates209

My Regimen
Reaction score
My friend you do not have to take my word for it as I'm sure a professional dermatologist will confirm what it is I am saying...

Trust me when I say I have EXTENSIVE knowledge and experience with what I am talking about, especially as it relates to diffuse thinning, considering I am a diffuse thinner myself...

View attachment 128492

that picture that you posted right there tells you all you need to know....and I remember when I saw it with my own eyes on my own head of hair for the first time...you can see where the crown, the sides, and the hairline all appear strong but the thinning is occurring uniformly down the midscalp...trust me I have spent so many hours online doing my research for diffuse thinning cases, this is textbook imo

a keto based shampoo can help with the seb derm, i would not advise minoxidil in your situation because of your long hair making it difficult to apply and because minoxidil does not address the root cause of balding itself which is dht....

if you want to stop further loss based on the treatments we have today finasteride is your only realistic option
Thanks for your reply! Thankfully I have Finasteride so I’ll start that ASAP. In your opinion, and I know nobody here is a derm, but do you thtink I’m still at a stage where finasteride can help me? Or am I too far gone at this point? Also, if I were to start minoxidil would the foam be better than liquid since I have long hair?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Thankfully I have Finasteride so I’ll start that ASAP. In your opinion, and I know nobody here is a derm, but do you thtink I’m still at a stage where finasteride can help me? Or am I too far gone at this point? Also, if I were to start minoxidil would the foam be better than liquid since I have long hair?
I don't use Fina hut if I've read many threads and I can tell you that if you start Fina and are a good responder you can have excellent results. For beet results you may need to add minoxidil and maybe Nizoral. But make sure you do your homework and understand all benefits and risks. If you do start treatments, have patience. Fina is nit gonna regain your hair in matter of days...

Agates209

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't use Fina hut if I've read many threads and I can tell you that if you start Fina and are a good responder you can have excellent results. For beet results you may need to add minoxidil and maybe Nizoral. But make sure you do your homework and understand all benefits and risks. If you do start treatments, have patience. Fina is nit gonna regain your hair in matter of days...
I’ve been trying to get on finasteride for 2 years but couldn’t find a dermatologist who would prescribe it but thankfully my doctor did. In your opinion would minoxidil foam or liquid be easier to apply for long hair?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get on finasteride for 2 years but couldn’t find a dermatologist who would prescribe it but thankfully my doctor did. In your opinion would minoxidil foam or liquid be easier to apply for long hair?
I didn't try the liquid, inly the foam but I can tell you that the foam is pretty inconvenient and messy on long hair. Especially when you do it hundreds of times a year. You could probably use an applicator. I would imagine liquid would be easier to apply with long hair and less likely to waste half of it on your hair rather than on your scalp. I've read posts from people that use both liquid and foam and some users report more flakiness from the liquid. I guess you really just have to try it and see which one is best for your scalp.