Hair Style Tips (what Worked For Me)

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm always asking for advice here so figured I should share some of my own. I've spent years figuring out hairstyles and how to best mitigate the hair loss I've experienced. I'm about a Norwood 2, with fine blonde hair and diffuse thinning, especially at the vertex. I think these tips should work for most that are not past a Norwood 3.

I like to think of all hair styling as a series of tradeoffs, since we're all basically trying to make areas of our head look good with diminishing resources. Where and how you allocate those resources is important.

1) Understand hair direction options

- Start with the vertex to figure out the best way to direct your hair. I had mine going the wrong way for years and once I switched it was much better, particularly at the vertex. In general, if your hair whorl goes clockwise, part your hair on the left side (your left) and vice versa. This also means you can push your hair in the back in a clockwise fashion to hide any thinness in front of or behind vertex. But don't overdo it.

- The other "direction" option is forward/back/side. Sweeping/combing hair forward will potentially hide recession but will expose your vertex area. Conversely, slicking hair back or back and to the side will cover up your vertex area but expose the receding areas. Finally, to the side generally is a good middle ground but can be tough to make work with a parting (think banker haircut). In general having hair go across your head will create more density and is why most people wear their hair this way.

- My rule of thumb is to favor showing recession vs vertex thinning. Recession to a degree is normal (part of a mature hairline). The key here is to wear it proudly. Short sides and longer on top with some recession will look pretty normal as long as it doesn't look like you're trying to cover something up.

2) Hair length

As a rule of thumb, shorter is better. Shorter hair prevents the hair from clumping together and creates a lot more volume. Less options for covering areas but generally that doesn't work anyways. I think the best hair cut by far is short sides (buzzed or up to 1 inch) and longer on top. If you go longer, I'd recommend a slicked back or side part hair style.

- A word on side part. I believe most bankers and professionals wear this because it is excellent at hiding general and vertex thinning. By taking the part down the side of your head, you are "creating" the gap in hair density on purpose, which allows dense hair over the rest of your head. If you don't do this, your hair will show gaps anyways. In a similar fashion, you create a fake hair whorl/vertex where the part ends (generally on one side). So your real one (which may be thin) is covered by hair coming back from the opposite side of the head.

3) Hair cut

Go to a professional. Period. The amount of stress, time and money we all spend on our hair situation means that the professional cuts are well worth it. I would consider anything in a salon or over $40 a professional cut. Please go to a salon, not a barbershop.

Tell them about what you want and any issues and they will work something out that will look good. I think clean cut and professional is a good theme to go for. Don't be scared to have a conversation about your hair situation - they've seen it all before.

4) Hair Product

Grab some thickening spray (Paul Mitchell Tea Tree is good). I also would recommend pomade (not gel or anything else). Using these products will give your hair texture and volume. Also, use a fine tooth comb to create/restore volume and even use throughout the day. I also use nizoral shampoo but that's a different topic.

5) Experiment

Get a mirror so you can see the back of your head and just dedicate some time to experiment with different styles. Above is what has worked for me but everyone is different. For example, I found that wearing a hat for a bit compresses my hair and makes it look a lot better than when it is normally poofy (i.e. more hair in less space). The key is not really to try and "hide"hair loss but to wear it in the best way possible.

Happy to answer any questions!