Hair styles

Reaction score
Whats a good hair style that most of you guys are going for?
I have let my hair grow long, about 5 inches, and when I use some thickening shampoo such as vive, my hair looks almost like an afro sometimes,...you can hardly tell I was balding on top......until I wake up the next day.
ANyways, I want to cut my hair real short becasue I am going to Thailand for some traveling and dont want to fuss around with long hair.
I am afraid that cutting it real short will make me feel worse because it will look like I have gotten worse, balding-wise.
Just wondering what you guys do when it comes to length and style.

FYI ... I do have Dermatch, and THOUGHT about using it on my trip....but I dont want the embarrasment of it coming off when swimming or WHEN sweat is pouring off of me, cause it gets hot there. I know its not supposed to come off....people tell me it wont, then someone else told me that a couple flake sof snow fell on them and melted and dermatch streaks were racing down their foreheads......

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
i think it really depends on your hair. a lot of people say that having short hair hides thinning. In my case it accentuates it. I have almost black hair, and shaved my hair to a 2 guard. The contast with my scalp made the thinning much more visible.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
From my experience, I've never had it come off until the day after if I really scratch at my head or when I shampoo it out. I only use a little bit though. That may be the trick to not having it melt off.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
GeorgeCantStandya said:
I know its not supposed to come off....people tell me it wont, then someone else told me that a couple flake sof snow fell on them and melted and dermatch streaks were racing down their foreheads......
I think that was me. It was a little more than "a couple" flakes of snow; my head was pretty full of snow when I got home, and it did streak down. So that's why I don't believe it when they say it doesn't come off in rain or while swimming. I never planned on going swimming with it on, but I am kind of worried about summer though. I do an awful lot of biking and would hate if someone stopped me because they thought my head was bleeding, then I'd have to explain.... :oops:
I'll have to test it out after an intense workout.

KrazyK

Established Member
Reaction score
Definately cut it short. I used to have really long hair, even when I was thinning. I thought it would cover up my thinning, but it didn't really. ONe day, I went to a salon and asked the guy to do whatever he wanted, whatever he thought looked best. Cut it really short..... at first I was horrified. Later that day and night.... everyone I saw, absolutely loved it. Now I can't have long hair. I wish I could tell every guy I see with thinning hair to cut their hair short... Cuz there's nothing worse then looking like your "trying too hard" to cover it up. In my case it does'nt look like I'm trying to hard to cover up my thinning, and at the same time does make my thinning look less apparent. I also feel like that it takes people's eyes off the thinning hair and puts their eyes on my face.

SadSad

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah my thining is so bad im scared to get a haircut i couldnt go into work with short hair and have it seen.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i do the wax spike bed head look.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
KrazyK said:
Definately cut it short. I used to have really long hair, even when I was thinning. I thought it would cover up my thinning, but it didn't really. ONe day, I went to a salon and asked the guy to do whatever he wanted, whatever he thought looked best. Cut it really short..... at first I was horrified. Later that day and night.... everyone I saw, absolutely loved it. Now I can't have long hair. I wish I could tell every guy I see with thinning hair to cut their hair short... Cuz there's nothing worse then looking like your "trying too hard" to cover it up. In my case it does'nt look like I'm trying to hard to cover up my thinning, and at the same time does make my thinning look less apparent. I also feel like that it takes people's eyes off the thinning hair and puts their eyes on my face.

could you please provide a picture, i really need to know what you're talking about. thanks.

Reaction score
Yea! Show US a picture, man!

I too have long hair. My thinning is on the crown of my head, but also my whole scalp has thinned. But its worse up top.

I am afraid that if I shave it, it will enhance my "balding" ... then I will have to wait 5 months for my hair to grow back in. Right now, after I shower with vive, etc. and blow dry my hair (cold outside) it looks real thick and full. I dont even use dermatch on some good days, but I will if i cut it short. Its too much of a pain in the *** to apply to long hair
But, I am questioning still Dermatch at all. I am going to do some tests on dermatch before i leave for my trip in March...

going from this -> :hairy: To -> :(

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GeorgeCantStandya, love your creativity with the icons :!: I needed that:)

Greg

Jude

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever seen the movie "Spun"? I currently have a similar hairdo (and hairline) as Spider Mike in that movie (played by John Leguizamo).

It is GREAT style to go for if you have moderate recession at the temples (ala NW2 or so). The style has the hair in the middle of your head all spiked up like a minature mohawk. This can create a GREAT illousion of having a better head of hair. Why? Let me explain,

Since your hair is thinner at the temples, the hair in the middle section accentuates this fact because the hair in the middle is still very thick (Just look at my avatar and you'll see what I mean).

So, if you get a lob of gel and mess/spike the hair up in the middle, it makes it seem less thick and blends it in with the thinner hair on the sides. It works! But hey, don't take my word for it. Here's a link to the DVD cover Spun:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
The Rock