Hair Transplant at 20?

LegendAl

Reaction score
I'm 19 but will be 20 in October (I know it's far off) but I'm giving myself that much time seeing as I'll probably be even more bald than now.

My hair loss started at the age of 15, but didn't get too bad till last year when I was 18.

I know Doctor's won't go through with a transplant till a later age but I've read that's the case when your still losing hair and could potentially lose more hair but it's a different story with me.

I've lost a lot of hair and almost completely bald and I can't imagine how it could get any worse, so what is the point of me waiting?

Will I be able to get a hair transplant at the age of 20 if the doctors see my extreme hair loss?

55206930.jpg

LegendAl

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
No way dude

You're gonna have to wait.

Don't bother having a transplant ever until one has conquered further loss IMO, unless of course you are 60+

Ya I understand that, and I appreciate your help, but I always questioned that.

Like I don't understand how I could possibly lose any more hair, so what do doctors have to wait for?

My balding Norwood is clearly visible, won't the doctors be able to judge that.

LegendAl

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I am trully sorry to say this but you are gonna continue to bald. Judging your age and that patch you are gonna lose alot more hair. If they transplant now you will be left with an island in the middle and bald area around it!

Your loss must be recent so get on treatments quick. I personally recomend fluridil. Used on it own back to back with no washing in between and if you get fluff up there in a month keep at it and you might get lucky

Good luck

Yeah It's not much yet but it will be when I'm 20, that's why I want it by next year or so.

So correct me If I'm wrong, even if a person is COMPLETELY bald at 20, doctors will still not do a transplant? they possible can't expect that person to lose any more hair, now do they?

Fluridil? Fill me in because that's the first time I've heard of that.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
start immediately treatment (especially regaine) and after 6 months if you have seen that your loss has halted, DO a hair transplant. That is my opinion and what I did to myself. Youth should not be lost because of this f*****g disease and hair transplant along with treatment is the only solution. Youth never comes back.

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I would recommend getting on the big 3 as soon as possible and not even considering a transplant untill you have given meds a try. most guys have some success with this and you may not even need a transplant. Getting a hair transplant now would be far too risky IMO.

cuebald

Reaction score
You're only about half way to being NW7; you've a lot more hair to lose (it is just diffuse)

LegendAl

Reaction score
finfighter said:
My hair loss started at 17, losing your hair young sucks, I'm sorry! You are headed for a Norwood 7 pattern, and I would say you will be there by 24-27 without treatments...

First of all let me tell you about hair transplant's. They are not a miracle cure or fix all. They can only give you a limited amount of hair coverage based on your available donar supply- from the non balding areas. This is usually a maximum of 10,000 grafts in a best case senario, you may not even have that many grafts available for transplant. not To mention the fact that 10,000 grafts would not even provide complete coverage to a norwood 7 pattern. Additionally, that number of grafts would cost between $40,000-$100,000. And you would need that many for norwood 7 coverage!

The good news is you may be a good responder to treatments especially at your age, given your recent hair loss. It is absolutely vital to treat your hair loss whether you want an hair transplant or not. Because if you are able to save and regain hair a trasplant will be a much more realistic option, and will provide you better coverage. It will also be a lot cheaper because you would not require as many grafts.

I will be honest with you, in your extreme case you would have to use the most potent drugs available to combat your hair loss. If you do, you may be able to halt your aggressive hair loss, and regrow lost hair. But these medications carry a risk of very bad side effects. These side effects do not effect everyone, you may be one of the lucky ones who can tolerate the drugs. This is a risk that only you will be able judge for yourself.

I would not usually recomend these treatments, especially to someone your age but this is what it will take to regaine hairs, and halt loss in your case. Be warned side effects could be very severe!

Dutasteride or Finasteride. Dutasteride is more effective, but carries more risks!

Rogaine foam twice a day, for regrowth.

Nizoral Shampoo, you can order the 2% version online, which is the most effective, use in three times a week.

Tricomin, would be a good idea as well.

Possibly RU58841, if you want to fight it with everything you can.

I wrote a hair loss treatment guide with all the info on these and other drugs you can see it here, good luck!

Hair loss treatment guide- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63313

I'm currently on Rogaine.

What is the Nizoral Shampoo?