Hair transplant, skill vs. technique

DrRonFinger

Reaction score
I am a plastic surgeon and many years ago performed the strip and plug technique on a few patients--enough to know that anything that left a visible scar in the back of the scalp and plugs that looks artificial was not for me. Through the years I kept a watch on the progress and even went to some courses on various flaps for hair restoration. I thought and still think they looked like carpets. Again, not for me or my patients.

Then someone developed the FUE technique and I felt that finally someone has come up with a technique that looks entirely natural. Then automated FUE techniques came about. This has enabled the surgeon/technician to extract larger numbers of grafts with more precision. With this technique available, I began hair transplants again about two years ago and had one done on myself 8 months ago. I couldn't be more thrilled with the results and full density doesn't occur for about 1 1/2 years.

Back to the question: skill or technique? The short answer is both. Regardless of the technique, vast experience and skill is necessary. I do not personally do them because it takes years to be proficient enough to turn out the work that I would want for my patients. I have learned so much more about the skill that is necessary, however. First of all, automated FUE without the linear scar in the back of the head is the only way to go. So technique counts. Regarding skill: formerly, I referred my patients for the procedures to be done. And, they were done well, but it left them with the mentioned scar and the transplanted hair is unmanageable. There is much skill in placing the hairs follicles so that the hair grows in a particular direction, according to the location of the grafts. Even in the vertex, it is important to place the grafts so that they grow in the natural swirl. In the front, only single hair grafts are used and they must be directed forward. Properaly performed, hair transplantation has immensely gratifying for my patients and myself as a patient and physician.

M

Mr. 4000

DrRonFinger said:
I am a plastic surgeon and many years ago performed the strip and plug technique on a few patients--enough to know that anything that left a visible scar in the back of the scalp and plugs that looks artificial was not for me.
why would you get involved in cutting someone's body and performing a surgery that you knew going in to it was permanently destructive and unnatural and have someone have to live with that the rest of their life? Just for money?

wygirl

Reaction score
Mr 4000 As I had FUT and was quite happy with it I think I am qualified ot answer your question:
Dr Ro was happy to do it as it was the only system availabel and hair is very important to lots of people so basically half a loaf is better than none?

As for permanent destruction and unnatural the back scar is invisible with hair over half inch long and the plugs don't look too bad with the same length at the front.

Obviously in an ideal world no-one would need transplants but people do so the technology has improved.

Dr Ron is spot-on about the surgeon needing some aesthetci sense in order to get natural looking growth directions but until there are interantionally agreed standards fo training to work to it wil have to be a case of you pays what money you can afford and hope the surgeon's promises come true.