Hair Transplants Destroying Regrowth Potential?

M

Member 139756

Hello all.

It's me. The most downbeat trans woman on the forum.

I am now wondering (read: terrified) about the prospect that having a hair transplant destroyed the underlying and, crucially, dormant follicles in the extensive donor area, preventing me from responding to the aggressive HRT regimens that yield regrowth results like this for other severely thinned trans women in their 20s.

This is @recedingyt , not me!

hair-progress-jpg.jpg

Observe what an extreme HRT regimen can do. My hair post extreme HRT regimen for 12 months (though not as extreme until the last four months) does not look as good as her results there, even after a hair transplant of 5100 grafts (FUT and FUE spread over two days).

I even raised this concern with my consultant, asking how long I should let HRT regrowth take its course before deciding where to apply the donor follcles.

He said there was no need to wait to see what regrowth occured. I could have the transplant immediately and have "wonderful" hair no longer requiring a wig. Fast forward seven months from the surgery and I don't have wonderful hair and I definitely still need to wear my wig.

I have progression photos available of people want to see them.

What's more, he even acknowledged that regrowth was a real possibility, using his video microscope to point out areas of post HRT regrowth and claim that this made me a viable candidate. It wasn't like he didn't think regrowth was possible and that hair transplants were the only option. He must have known that, if hair transplants kill regrowth potential, that he was ham-stringing my recovery permanently. He must have known what, as a trans gender woman, that would do to me.

I fear that he was a con artist, despite working for a mainstream hair clinic in my country. I can name it later if collectively we suspect that he ruined my prospects for recovery. I have plenty more reasons to think this which I can name if I decide to warn people away from this clinic.

Tl;dr.
Does a hair transplant main / kill the resting hair follicles underneath, ruining any chance they have of responding to treatment?

This should be a warning to cis men too if it is the case.

Now I feel like I am an accomplice to ruining my own hair recovery and thus transition (which has been the only thing keeping me going), thanks to a possibly duplicitous and / or incompetent hair transplant consultant.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any pre and post surgery pics of your own? Were you a diffuse thinner throughout or did you have any slick bald parts?
I would say what you're suspecting is correct if your previously bald parts are growing but the diffusely thin parts not.
I think most people will tell you at 7 months you have a fair idea how it'll turn out,but still got 5 months of potential thickening.
I myself seem to be growing slower than most at just under 4 months. I'm trying to remain hopeful and believe that due to later shedding I'm probably going to take longer go see results. Without seeing your journey it's hard to make sense of the situation.

Last edited: