Hair transplants gone wrong - examples?

jd_uk

Reaction score
Does anybody have or know of any examples of where someone has had their temples/corners transplanted only to thin out later on? I'd like to see the worst case scenarios if possible. Thanks

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
US Vice President Joe Biden is a good example of a strong transplanted hairline with extensive hair loss behind that. Despite grafting, his transplant doesn't look good. He was subjected to less-refined older techniques (which are inefficient at using donor hair) so he certainly exhausted his donor supply. However, based on his early photos, he probably didn't do exactly what you're asking (transplant the temples only, at first). But he has a reinforced hairline, with extensive thinning behind it.

biden.jpg

Try doing a Google image search for "hair transplant repair" or "bad hair transplant".

Sub8large

Reaction score
This is slightly relevant and concise.

I am:

- 22 years old
- slight recession at temples, perhaps almost NW2.
- am on 1.25mg/day finasteride and intend to take for years/forever

Do you think I will be able to find a hair surgeon that will take me back to NW1 which is a straight hairline, in the UK? Or will I get laughed out of the office? I have an appointment booked but I would like to get a feel for what kind of reaction to expect.

Sub8large

Reaction score
You're too young and not bald enough, so not a candidate.

If you were to do it, don't do it in the UK, that would be a huge mistake.

Please elaborate for me. What do you mean by not a "candidate"? Will they reject me 100% of the time, even though I'm willing to pay?

And why is it a mistake in the UK? I only need a small number of grafts. You mean I should fly to Iran and book hotels just for a small transplant? Sorry for questions, I like your response.

Sub8large

Reaction score
Well I really hope I can find someone. If anyone knows a hair surgeon/clinic that will restore NW2 -> straight NW1 at 22 yrs old, please let me know.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I really hope I can find someone. If anyone knows a hair surgeon/clinic that will restore NW2 -> straight NW1 at 22 yrs old, please let me know.

It is impossible to say if they can or can't without seeing photos, there are people who have had hair transplant's in your situation. What you seem to want is a hairline hair transplant, and yes there are clinics that do those. At 22 though you are taking a big risk if you decide to do it.

Sub8large

Reaction score
It is impossible to say if they can or can't without seeing photos, there are people who have had hair transplant's in your situation. What you seem to want is a hairline hair transplant, and yes there are clinics that do those. At 22 though you are taking a big risk if you decide to do it.

I do understand the risks.

My plan is to get a straight Norwood 1 hairline and continue taking finasteride to hopefully stop or slow any further recession.

If finasteride works, then maybe I won't need another transplant for decades. By that time, perhaps a cure for baldness will be available. Alot can change in 15 years of medicine.

If finasteride doesn't work then I have an amazing hairline for a few years then it starts to look bad. That seems unlikely but it's a risk I'm willing to take. You are only young once.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
"I'm 22 and starting to notice a slight wrinkle forming in my brow, so I'd like to get a face lift"

That's kind of how the original poster sounds to me.

If finasteride works, then maybe I won't need another transplant for decades.

You don't know if it works for you yet? Why not? I'm guessing it's a sign you are trying to rush into this. Only been on Propecia for a few months?