Hairline area with baby hair (??)

somari

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

First of all, nice to meet you.
I am Nick, from Greece, 25yo.
Almost a year ago, i did cut my long hair because I was finding lots of fallen hair (yes, i know that the relationship between lenght and falling hair is a myth, BUT, I used to wear bandanas all the time and because of bad sleep I created lots of friction between the pillow and my hair -kind of trichotillomania results maybe (?)).My hair today looks like it has it's hairline receded.But at times BEFORE the decision to let long hair grow(almost a year ago before the haircut, meaning two years before today), I had no receding hairline.

But the puzzling fact is this: Where there used to be hair (before my hairline receded) i can clearly see some tiny hair., as you can see in the following -clickable- photos

But rest of my hair keep growing at normal rates, while these stay at the same size. What is the nature of these hair? Is there a way that i can boost their growth so my hairline recovers (with the use of products such as rogaine or tricomin) ? Are they SUPPOSED to stay in this lenght, as a result of receded hairline?

Thanks for reading

hugeleap

Reaction score
The miniaturization of your hair follicles is what's causing them to become shorter and thinner. Basically, as dihydrotestosterone (DHT) attacks your hair follicles, they will slowly but surely get smaller and smaller with each growing stage. DHT will restrict or slow blood flow to the area which is not good for the follicles which grow your hair. You once had long thick hairs in those areas shown in your pictures, but with each growing cycle they have become smaller and thinner, and probably have gotten lighter in color as well. The only way to hopefully get them back to the level of thickness is by using treatments.

Finasteride (propecia, proscar, etc) is a drug taken orally (swallow a pill every day), and basically what it does is stop the conversion of testosterone into DHT. There is an enzyme which causes the conversion, and it blocks the binding site that testosterone usually fits into so that no conversion takes place. So your body's levels of DHT drop low enough that they don't have as much of a negative effect on your hair. The result (hopefully) is that your hair starts growing in thicker and longer than before, and any current loss that you're experiencing usually grinds to a halt.

Minoxidil (rogaine) is a topical drug (apply it to your scalp twice per day) which nobody has really pinpointed the mechanism of, but may have the effect of increasing blood flow to hair follicles and/or some other mechanism of increasing activity of the follicles. The result is that you may see hair growth in areas where loss has occurred, and existing hair will grow in thicker and stronger.

Ketoconazole (nizoral) is a topical drug (shampoo 2-3x per week) which is actually used in the treatment of dandruff as it's a strong antifungal, and fungal infections of the scalp can be a cause of dandruff. However, it may also have an anti-androgen effect (helps block the action of DHT), as well as an anti-inflammatory effect. When experiencing hair loss, a lot of guys experience itchiness and inflammation of the scalp, and keto shampoo generally helps with these symptoms.

Basically, it's best to use all 3 drugs at once, in a regimen most people here call the Big 3. Those hairs that have become miniaturized that you're talking about are as a result of DHT attacking the follicles and restricting their growth. If you want to see any sort of reversal of that you need to start with the treatments. I personally have been using all 3 for approx. 3 months and I've seen quite a bit of improvement. It's very easy to to every day (minoxidil after shower in the morning, take my finasteride with breakfast, minoxidil again before bed, shower with nizoral every 2nd day), and if you get generic drugs is not expensive. The first thing you need to do is educate yourself on the side effects to make sure you're well aware that there are very rare but potentially serious side effects to all the drugs. Talk to your doctor as the are better informed than myself and will be able to monitor your progress.

GOOD LUCK!!

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
Does finasteride/minoxidil tranform baby hairs back to normal hairs ? I just realized I have a lots of light color baby hairs on my temples and I'm starting big 3 soon so is there hope to get them back to normal hairs ?

Thanks !

Naltima

Established Member
Reaction score
Going2beBald? said:
Does finasteride/minoxidil tranform baby hairs back to normal hairs ? I just realized I have a lots of light color baby hairs on my temples and I'm starting big 3 soon so is there hope to get them back to normal hairs ?

Thanks !

The chance is there, but it's pretty small.

Adolf_tom

Reaction score
Hello,

Baby and Maternity Shop Dubai offers Baby Slings, Baby Gifts, Baby Clothing & baby accessories of leading Brands including Baby born, Hug-a-Bub & Sophie the Giraffe.

Adam
Baby Clothing