hairline regrowth after dutasteride shed

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
hairline regrowth after dutasteride shed in hairline?

Current Regime:
dutasteride 0.5mg ed (4 months now approx)
Nizoral 2% 3x/wk (2 months now. First few weeks used it almost everyday)

Will what I lost regrow, particularly in the hairline?

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Hair Transplant Hairs Falling Out 5mnths post-op

if i had to pick a possible cause of hairshedding i would say its rather from nizoral then from duta... on the hair transplant-hairs...
on original hair on top its duta that will cause a shedding...

i'm not a big fan of keto (nizoral or other stuff)
keto is also in my nanominox and i have also a shedding from this stuff...
i hope it regrows...
there a few people on our hairforum that swear that the stuff works verry good
then there a few that quit it , sinds they keep having more sheddings then regrowth after many months...

s.a.f

Reaction score

Dont panic just yet, my guess is that it will grow back. In 4/5 months it'll probably look great and you'll laugh about this.
Nobody who has a hair transplant does'nt go through some period where they think its all gone wrong. (usually though its waiting for the hairs to sprout at 3 months).

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score

who did youre hair transplant ?

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score

I suspect you are mistaken and that you are still losing your old hair and not the transplanted hair. Using 2% Nizoral 3x a week is risky, hair loss can be a side effect. You should call and consult with your hair transplant doctor about what's happening and be completely honest with them. Are you on Propecia?

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score

be it nizor or dutasteride, do u know of anyone that has shed transplanted hairs from a treatment?

I added and started using nizoral shampoo because of the success stories i read here on using nizoral 2%.

wesleyBelgium said:
if i had to pick a possible cause of hairshedding i would say its rather from nizoral then from duta... on the hair transplant-hairs...
on original hair on top its duta that will cause a shedding...

i'm not a big fan of keto (nizoral or other stuff)
keto is also in my nanominox and i have also a shedding from this stuff...
i hope it regrows...
there a few people on our hairforum that swear that the stuff works verry good
then there a few that quit it , sinds they keep having more sheddings then regrowth after many months...

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeh thanks, you're right, but I was and still am very patiant about it all. I am all for the fact that the final result is shown atleast 10-12 months down the line. Thats why the 2-3month shed didnt even bother me one bit.

But this on the other hand, is nothing I've ever heard of before. I used propecia 4 yrs ago for 2 yrs without any sheds like this. My main concern is if I will ever regrow my hairline back.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score

I promise to reveal who did my transplant a few months down the line. I want to give my surgeon the benifit of the doubt right now. I'm afraid if I reveal my surgeon at this stage, my fears and worries would turn out to be a mear shed and regrowth, which would have tainted and tarnished my surgeon for no reason. So to be safe, right now I don't want to give my sureon any credit nor any negative feedback until I weigh this out.

Jojje said:
who did youre hair transplant ?

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score

anyone else?

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score

thank you.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score

I have just learned that the using dutasteride and nizoral together has drug interactions.

Can this be the cause of this shed? If so, and i stop nizoral shampo, will i regrow what i lost

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score

Why did you stop Propecia and start Dutasteride? Dutasteride is more powerful and possibly has more side effects, we don't know for sure because it's not FDA tested for hairloss. A lot of guys like to make decisions about using pharmaceuticals for hair loss, even though they have no background in medicine or pharmacy. Nizoral at 2% is not available over the counter in the U.S. With all you've taken it's seems as if you're worse off. I would call your hair transplant doctor first thing on Tuesday and tell him everything you've been taking and get his take on what you should do at this point. My .02 opinion, stop the dutasteride and go on Propecia, stop the Nizoral for a week and then use it just once or twice a week, 3 is too much. You should really have a hair transplant doctor or dermatologist take a look at you scalp.

auto_pilot

Reaction score

Einstein,

WesleyBelgium is right. Its the Nizoral.

2 months post hair transplant, I started using Nizoral and indeed for the next few days shed. After chatting to other hair transplant guys and found a couple of posts on the net also had the same experience. We eventually came to the conclusion to stop using Nizoral altogether for at least 6 months after hair transplant.

Your post mentioned you actually used it everyday for a week, im suprised your scalp wasn't burning! The stuff is pretty harsh and the kets primary purpose is really for dandruff and fungi infections. By all means, use it once every so often to keep those guys at bay, but bear in mind your graft hair is still weak and needs time to strengthen.

My advice keep off the Nizoral for a few months.