Hairloss already stopped?

EliasNJ

Reaction score
I've been on Propecia and minoxidil for just over a month. I went through a shed about week three and saw tons of hairs everywhere I had been for the last two weeks.

Now, I towel dry my hair over the sink and absolutely no hairs fall out. I mess it around with my hands, comb it and few times and maybe two or three hairs will fall out after a period of playing with my hair for about 10 minutes. Is this a positive indication that my hairloss is slowing? I wasn't leaving a lot of hairs before the treatment but I don't think I've even seen my sink this clean before. I'm even leaving less hairs then when I was a teenager. Then again I had really thick hair back then.

The Gardener

Reaction score
EliasNJ.. (a hockey fan, I presume??)... the end of your shed should be a source of comfort. However, it will not be the last of them. I have gone through many, many sheds... it seems that although hair should, stastically speaking, shed in small regular amounts the fact of the matter is that it doesn't. Hair sheds in somewhat synchronized cycles, almost as if shed hairs are causing sympathy sheds from neighboring hairs.

The good advice I have to give you from experience is that after my initial post-treatment and stabilization shed, all of the sheds I had since then NEVER had any sort of negative impact on the overall visual cosmetic look of my hair. Don't be afraid of sheds. They come and go, but my hair and hairline continues to improve regardless of them.

EliasNJ

Reaction score
EliasNJ

First things... yes I am a hockey fan. I've got fake implanted teeth to prove that :wink:.

Maybe I'm just reacting to a post shed where I don't see gobs of hair falling into the sink and thinking my hairloss overall is stopped, huzzah!

Coming to a point where I don't have to worry about my hairloss getting any worse for a few years lifts a huge weight off of me.

However I'm actually looking for some regrowth. Preventing hairloss was step 1, but the final step is seeing some regrowth. My hairline just receded pasted the unhappy point six months ago, where as I didn't care about the look of my hairloss before the first four years. Just a recovery of most of what I lost six months ago would be a total success for me. I'm not one of those people who would only be happy with a ton of regrowth. Hell I'm 24 now, not 18. I'd throw a celebration if I got just like 1/8 of an inch of my hairline to move out in my temples.

As of right now, I'm throwing a "got through my first shed" party. I have pretty nice hair texture so even though the hair on top and back feels way thinner, the coverage is still great and still looks fine when I gel it.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Elias (just to give you pause, I'll say up front that I am a die-hard Flyers fan :p), my experience is similar to yours. After I started my regimen, I went through a shed that lasted a few weeks. After that, it subsided, and since then, I lose very few hairs. Like you, if I vigorously rub my scalp for a minute of so, I will lose maybe 6-7 hairs. It has stayed this way for about 2-1/2 months now.

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish propecia worked like that for me! If had worked within a month for me, I would still have a full, dense, thick, head of hair.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I went to minoxidil, Nizoral and dutasteride almost immediately, then added Revivogen and started using the Lasercomb later on. So I used a lot more than propecia. I'm not saying you should, only pointing out that propecia alone probably won't work that quickly for anyone. The original poster is also on more than propecia.

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
MVPsoft that may have been the first thing we agreed on, lol on liking the flyers. I just wish the hockey season would be somehow someway get started.

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, I missed that one. I also use Nizoral.

How has dutasteride been working for you and how expensive is it in relation to Propecia. I get a 3 month supply of Propecia from CostCo for about $130.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've haven't been on dutasteride long enough to know how it's working. Also, it's just part of my regimen, so I'll never really know how it works for me by itself.

As far as cost, you can order it for as little as $190 for a 200 day supply.

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/custome ... utasteride