Hairloss story, regimen (starting at 16y/o in 1997)

GwenGwen

Reaction score
-----

I love this forum and just wanted to add my story. Maybe it can help somebody. Or simply help me maintain my focus on fighting hairloss.
(sorry for my average english, i usually speak French).

-----

Genetics first:

Both my grandfathers were bald, Norwood 6-7. My father (now 60yrs old) is around NW5. My brother (30 yrs old) is NW4+.

Teenage years / accutane hairloss

It all started in 1997 when I was 16. I had terrible acne and had a complete Accutane treatment. It worked pretty well, but I ended up losing A LOT of hair (frontal and temporal, not vertex).

I told my parents and my doctor that I suspected it was a reaction to the medication, but nobody really took it seriously. I still don't know for sure if it was related. (but now I know it is a common side-effect and I strongly suggest anyone using Accutane to ask for more info about this. I have read terrifying stories about this drug).

The hairloss didn't stop after the Accutane treatment, and I didn't recover. It just went on and on for months. It was terrible.

Finasteride and transplants

I was really worried about this, and it REALLY affected my confidence. I got a finasteride (Proprecia 1mg) prescription and even had hair-transplant (frontal only). Hairloss was THAT bad, in my life. I was only 18 (in 1999).

(I know that so far, this story isn't about male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness). I'm getting there).

I maintained the finasteride treatment and, as years passed, my male pattern baldness gradually kicked-in. The drug probably slowed the process, but I still ended up losing hair, gradually revealing my hair-transplant (not cool). So, 9-10 years after the first one, I decided to get a second surgery to improve density. I was 28 (in 2009).

Now

I'm now 32 and I'm still losing hair very slowly, even though I have been taking finasteride all this time.

I recently had a shedding episode that lasted a month. It really made me nervous and I started researching for different ways to slow the process. I'm pretty sure I'll have a 3rd transplant in the future (it really isn't painful, except for your wallet...) but I would like to push this back as far as possible in the future.

Minoxidil

I found this forum and decided to modify my regimen. I'm now starting minoxidil. It's been only a week and I have to admit that it's not that bad. It's less greasy / sticky / smelly than I expected. It doesn't affect my styling too much (I have messy and curly hair). I'm really worried about the usual shed that goes with minoxidil. I hope it's not going to be terrible. [update: it was. see update below]

The biggest challenge will be, of course, maintaining this new habit 2x a day, without losing focus. That's why I'm writing this post: to keep track of my dedication to this new fight! GO GO GO!

-----

My current regimen (December 1st, 2013)

Finasteride
(Propecia 1mg): I've been taking it since 1998.
Nizoral Shampoo: once a week, since Nov 2013.
Minoxidil 5% (Kirkland, liquid): twice a day, since Dec. 1st 2013 -- evening since May 1st 2014.
Minoxidil 5% (Kirkland, foam): morning, since May 1st 2014

Biotin supplements
(250mg 750mg daily): since Nov 2013. It helps my hair grow faster. I hope it can help my new minoxidil-born hair to grow faster too.
Multivitamins: on an off for the past years.
Omega-3 supplements: on an off for the past years.
Exercise: I'm sorry to admit this, but I'm way too busy (kids, girlfriend, work) to go to the gym. I would say that my health/shape is average.

GwenGwen

Reaction score
Update
I want my remaining hair to look great.

I forgot to mention that I use apple cider vinegar to rinse my hair, 1-2 times a week. I use a 50/50 mix with water. You're probably all going "What?! Vinegar?", but compared to the chemical stuff that's inside any commercial shampoo and/or conditionner, apple cider vinegar is much more gentle on your hair. And it's sooooooo inexpensive.

[update: I no longer use apple cider vinegar. I hated the smell and didn't see any real benefits]

Also, I rinse my hair with cold / cool water. No steamy-hot shower water for me.
I also avoid using a hair dryer and styling products, as much as possible.

I know this isn't really helping maintaining my hairline or growing more hair. But having healthy and natural hair helps increase my confidence.

(Reference:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/organic-authoritycom/apple-cider-vinegar-beauty_b_1924171.html
http://beautybybritanie.com/2012/11/23/diy-apple-cider-vinegar-hair-rinse-for-shiny-healthy-hair )

GwenGwen

Reaction score
Update.
I thought I could list some side effects :

Propecia 1mg (after 10+ years):
-- Possible memory loss. Not sure if it's linked to Finasteride or not. There is no way to know for sure if my memory would be better without this drug.
-- Sex drive: no change, still high.
-- Sperm quality / sperm count: no change (and I have a 7y/o kid)

Minoxidil (liquid / foam)
-- Shedding: Yes. See 7 month update below.
-- Dry scalp: no
-- Itchy scalp: no
-- Dandruff: yes, huge dried minoxidil liquid flakes. But it's not too bad. I remove them with a comb and then shampoo. If I don't scratch my head, they won't come off my scalp and won't be visible. It's less of a problem since I use minoxidil foam in the morning.
-- Greasy hair: a bit
-- Sticky hair: no
-- Increased wrinkles: no
-- Sex drive: no change
-- Smell: minoxidil liquid is okay, but minoxidil foam smells like alcohol, and it lasts for some time. A girl I'm dating even asked "Did you just have a drink?", so it bothers me a little.

Nizoral shampoo
-- No side effects, but I have to admit that I really hate the smell.

GwenGwen

Reaction score
[2 months on Minoxidil]

Update:
-- I don't think I shed that much (yet). Not sure if more hair will fall. Crossing fingers.

-- I have seen a couple new hair growing in receding areas. It's hard to tell how many are growing right now, but I think this is good news. But I know it's probably too early to tell.

-- I have raised my Biotin dosage to 750mg, since I think it'll help "newborn" hair grow faster. Also, my 250mg dose was lower than what most people use.

GwenGwen

Reaction score
[After 7 months]

-- I did see positive results after 5 months. No noticeable shed at that time, and hair definitely grew on my front balding spots.
-- I decided to change my regimen around May 1st after about 5 months (updated above): minoxidil Foam (5%) in the morning and minoxidil Liquid (5%) in the evening. I wanted to get rid of the minoxidil Liquid flakes. The results are terrible: shed shed shed. It's been like this for at least 5 weeks (maybe more). I definitely lost whatever I had gained with minoxidil Liquid only in the previous 5 months.
-- I'm starting to worry about this foam+liquid regimen. Maybe it's not working for me? But at least, I did see positive results before... so I can only hope it'll come back again.
-- If I still shed in mid-august, I think I'll go back to liquid only. At least I know this works for me.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
If liquid 2x worked for you, foam + liquid will too.
Have you considered RU and/or dutasteride? It might stop your hairloss completely since finasteride can't.

GwenGwen

Reaction score
Sorry about this, I'm not familiar with RU and dutasteride. Any more info?

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride. Used for enlarged prostates, like finasteride. It inhibits more dht due to its ability to bind three isoforms instead of two, in the case of finasteride.
Ru58841, topical is an androgen antagonist. It competes with dht receptors in the follicles.

Neither is approved for hairloss however, many use it. Especially dutasteride.
That's my bacup plan whey things go south.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really surprised that you haven't heard of it already, since you started in 1997.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU would probably good as a compliment to your finasteride if it is not doing enough to maintain your hair, switching to dutasteride and dropping finasteride would also work better

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to switch to dutasteride, you may consider upping the finasteride dose after so much years.

GwenGwen

Reaction score
Thanks for all this info. My story begins in 1997, but it's only recently that I felt the need to get more info. I still have plenty of hair. But I experienced an important shed about 6-8 months ago. That's when I started to look for additionnal solutions.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's too bad you don't provide any pictures...
Amazing you've maintained it all these years, very respectful.

GwenGwen

Reaction score
9 month update.

Some good news. The terrible shed that started a couple weeks ago has slowed down. Not sure it's entirely over. In the meantime, I definitely lost whatever I had gained in the first months of using minoxidil, just before switching to minoxidil Liquid + Foam.

I'm starting to see a couple new hair growing. Exactly like the first time. I hope these won't fall off in a couple months.

I'll never know if it was the usual shed we get after starting using minoxidil, or some other random shed.

GwenGwen

Reaction score
10 month update.

The shed stopped probably 2-3 weeks ago. I certainly lost everything I had gained during my first months on minoxidil.
Regrowth is slowly starting. I'm maintaining my new regiment: minoxidil foam in the morning and liquid at night.