HairLossHelp's Story - ( 24 / losing hair...total newb)

HairLossHelp

Reaction score
So I thought I started to lose my hair around 20ish...it wasnt bad but we are always our own worse critic. While it isn't terrible now either IMO its getting there. The temples have receded and the top has been thinning. I am headed for the horseshoe it seems.

I have never tried any products. But I am thinking it may be time too. I would love to have thicker hair. I have browsed the forums for a bit and have familiarized myself with some of the treats and regimens but I am still a bit confused.

I would love for some opinions. I have never spoken to a doctor or any professional. I figure I might as well start now, it has obviously affected my confidence, but I have also come to terms with it. However I never thought Id be finding myself actually trying to something about it.

I know forums are the best places for opinions and ideas, because we are people who live it, not doctors, not salesmen, just people who would love to have their hair back.

So if anyone could lead me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I have tried to post pictures below, one without and one with flash.

[attachment=1:36dg6fz9]Photo on 2010-02-09 at 18.56.jpg[/attachment:36dg6fz9]

[attachment=0:36dg6fz9]Photo on 2010-02-09 at 18.55 #2.jpg[/attachment:36dg6fz9]

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-02-09 at 18.56.jpg
    Photo on 2010-02-09 at 18.56.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Photo on 2010-02-09 at 18.55 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-02-09 at 18.55 #2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 135

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to HairLossTalk.com!!

Well I would first tell you to go see a Doctor and see what he/she thinks. I think you caught your hair loss very early and would consider yourself lucky.

Most guys start on what's called the "Big 3" which is..

Minoxidil 5% twice daily
Propecia (Finasteride 1 Mg) daily
Nizoral shampoo (1% or 2%) 3 times weekly

Also check out the other guy's stories as well as the Success Story forum to see what everyone else is using and what type of results they are getting.

Thanks again for joining and welcome to the forums!! The guys here are IMO the best there are so I know you will get alot of support here.

Good Luck!,

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Read the 'Tell your story' and 'Success Stories' forums, that's where i've gotten all of my information from, anything else just ask.

From the little experience i've had with these boards, i'd say that you still have a good head of hair, just that the temples have gone a bit. If you want regrowth within a year (or even several months) i'd suggest to go onto the famed 'big 3', however i would recommend starting with finasteride 1mg and nizoral (1% or 2%). That way you can see whether the 1mg dose works for you, and if you're happy with it, maybe down the track start with minoxidil. Everyone responds differently, so it may take several months to notice some change, or even a year, but i think it's your safest bet.

HairLossHelp

Reaction score
do any of the big 3 require a prescription? I know everyone has their own regimen...but should i listen to the products directions about when to apply or should i just take fellow board members suggestions....

ie...when you say apply twice daily, weekly etc.... can i apply monday and tuesday for the week....i am assuming not but would love some more suggestions...

thanks for all the help!!

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
HairLossHelp said:
should i listen to the products directions about when to apply or should i just take fellow board members suggestions....

ie...when you say apply twice daily, weekly etc.... can i apply monday and tuesday for the week....i am assuming not but would love some more suggestions...

You should always listen to the product directions in every case.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossHelp said:
do any of the big 3 require a prescription? I know everyone has their own regimen...but should i listen to the products directions about when to apply or should i just take fellow board members suggestions....

thanks for all the help!!
Only finasteride requires a prescription if you plan on buying through a pharmacy/chemist. You can order it online too (inhousepharmacy.com is a popular website here), however that also depends whether you want to go with a brand or the generic type. Many here have had success with both.

About the directions, well finasteride is rather straight forward, you just take one pill a day. How much depends on you, for example many take the 1mg a day, others cut that in half to 0.5mg a day, others even less. Minoxidil i'm not all too familiar with, however many seem to apply it twice daily (every day) others just once daily (every day), since it can become a nuisance to apply. Applying Nizoral, well most people either use it twice a week or three times a week, really depends on you and you respond. But like PropeciaJunkie said, follow the product directions, which is what a lot of people do anyway.

I've recently started out with my own regimen (1mg finasteride and 2% nizoral), so my suggestion would be to start with what you think is best for you, see how it works for several months-to a year, then decide where to go from there.

HairLossHelp

Reaction score
I've recently started out with my own regimen (1mg finasteride and 2% nizoral), so my suggestion would be to start with what you think is best for you, see how it works for several months-to a year, then decide where to go from there.[/quote]

i guess i have no clue what would be best for me...is there anything that focuses on thinning on the top and at the temples?

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Well either finasteride or minoxidil, or just both.
Many guys see regrowth with minoxidil, but keep in mind that many of them go through a phase of 'shedding', where you lose large amounts of hair over a period of time, yet usually after this you start regrowing new hairs. Just read around the forum, there's a wealth of information, particularly in this sub-forum and 'success stories'.

HairLossHelp

Reaction score
Now can I just go to a supermarket or pharmacy and pick up nizoral and minoxidil? id rather start with topicals before I start with pills that i assume will have larger side effects.

is nizoral the brand or are there certain brands of minoxidil and nizoral? any suggestions on which to buy? I live in the US so any help with what markets/pharmacies may carry would be great.

looking to pick up something today