hairlossteenager's story - (Age 16, bad hair loss at 14)

Reaction score
I am 16 now and since I was 14, I have had diffuse hair loss. I went to a dermotologist and they comfirmed my fear, which was that the hair loss was male pattern baldness.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj26 ... steenager/

I was told that it is okay for me to start regaine and propecia, however do not want so much medicine being pumped into me at my age. Should I start with regaine or with propecia? My dad says that I need to live with, however he went bald at 36 so he does not understand. The hair loss has affected my hugely and that too for the worse.

NicholasLim

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Bad hair loss at 14

Your hairloss is pretty bad for your age, i think you should just go with minoxidil and nizoral atm . and maybe revivogen or topical spironolactone in replace for finasteride

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Looks more to be a diffuse pattern. Did you take the whole myriad of blood tests??

I would test for everything dude. There might be something else at work here. The thyroid perhaps?

Its very rare to see someone suffer from male pattern baldness that severly at 14-16. Even NW7 guys dont start showing evidence of balding until around 18.

Although having said that I remember a guy in my high school year who had a NW6 hairloss and he was only 15. I really never associated him with having male pattern baldness because he was just to young and I thought only old people go bald. I just assumed he had some medical condition or disorder causing his hair to be that way.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score

You guys keeping shoving at other people's face's nizoral to fight male pattern baldness, i think you should think a bit b4 start using it like theres no tomorrow, nizoral can really dry out the scalp and hair on the one hand its kinda good bcuz dry hair looks much thicker, on the other hand dry scalp and hair isnt a good idea with sensitive follicles of male pattern baldness.
You should start minoxidil and maybe there are other products which dont include changing your hormones like finasteride you should consider.

first

Established Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't start fins until after puberty, as the reduction of DHT can cause a micro penis (halt penis growth).

Reaction score

I have really bad hair loss on the sides as well and I went to a dermotologist. Done blood test and nothing was lacking expect for abit of iron, but nothing major. I also never had the problem of combing my hair and seeing hair fall out and the same for when I shampoo. I also went to a trichologist called richard spencer and do not recommend him. The guy was just trying to sell his salon which was really annoying.

looking at my hair loss, how bad do you think my hair loss will be in 10 years time? I think I will have acouple strands of the side of my head but thats it. My mums side of the family has a full head of hair, my grandfather from her side being 70 and having much more hair then me.

My dads side lost there hair in there 20's but I think 14 is just too early, considering and most people in my family have alot of hair. My dad and uncle are the only bald people I know in my family and my uncle went bald at 22. However his son is 26 with a full head of hair. I have to stop worrying about my hair loss because my a levels are near, however it is easier said then done.

Also does over combing hair damage hair sleeping excessive amounts? Thanks people

Reaction score

Hey dude,
First off, that sucks that this has happened at 14 :(
It does seem a bit extreme? Thats strange that blood tests came back fine...
If its happening on the sides too i dont see how its male pattern baldness.
You said you got A-levels coming up, how have ur stress levels been in general since 14? Perhaps stress or depression could have caused this? Have you tried changing shampoo or whatever hair products you use?

Reaction score

winterheartlee said:
Hey dude,
You said you got A-levels coming up, how have ur stress levels been in general since 14? Perhaps stress or depression could have caused this? Have you tried changing shampoo or whatever hair products you use?

The dernatologist also said that hair loss on the sides of my head is not normal. I told her I used to sleep alot and that could have rubbed away the hair but she said I was just being silly. She herself has no idea on what it was so just told me to start on regaine. If my hair grew back even though it was not male pattern baldness with regaine, would I then have to keep taking regaine to keep the hair I have or would the regaine just be a boost to get my hair growing again?

Reaction score

A bit of a side question but when suffering from male pattern baldness, does your head sting? I mean my head is itchy of painful much of the time and my dad said he did not experience this when he was going to male pattern baldness. I have bad dandruff which could be an answer so can I go to the Doctor, so that he can give me something about my dandruff? Once again no idea why my hair seems to sting so much

metalheaddude

Reaction score

hairlossteenager said:
winterheartlee said:
Hey dude,

The dernatologist also said that hair loss on the sides of my head is not normal. I told her I used to sleep alot and that could have rubbed away the hair but she said I was just being silly. She herself has no idea on what it was so just told me to start on regaine. If my hair grew back even though it was not male pattern baldness with regaine, would I then have to keep taking regaine to keep the hair I have or would the regaine just be a boost to get my hair growing again?

You appear to be a "diffuse thinner". Your hairline is still intact and thats a good thing. Its definately worth giving Rogaine a go. I dunno man its a tough situation. Maybe you can possibly discuss with a doctor the use of Propecia and the possible side effects in regards to your age. There is a slim chance they may prescribe it in small doses which would help lower your DHT alot. I dunno man its a tough situation :dunno:

Reaction score

I mean its around the internet that male pattern baldness is unable to start until puberty finished. I have a fuzzy beard and never shave it. It has been thickening up recently but if thats the case, how could my puberty have finished? Should I have a check up at the belgravia centre? It is free, however am scared that they will be like the other muppet I went to and tell me to start thretment with them.

All I said was b-elgravia

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj26 ... lbum_album

more pics added. All of you in your 30's and 20's complaining about hair loss, just compare yourself to me and that will make you feel better about yourselves. I know this sounds really stupid, but I am hoping to study medicine once I finish my a levels next year. Do you think any uni has a problem with people being bald or am I simply being paranoid?

scouse

Reaction score

I feel so sorry for you mate, I started stressin about my hair aged around 18/19. Get it shaved right down for starters, you look quite olive skinned from your pics which i reckon suits the bald look better. I would talk finasteride over with your GP first before u start it, maybe leave it till ur 18. One thing I hope for u is that a cure will come up whilst ur still fairly young. u are right it puts us older guy's problems into perspective. I really wish u the best of luck, try your best to concentrate on your exams, if u eventually qualify as a Doctor u will get plenty of Women whether u have hair or not!!!

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score

you are 14 and you have a beard??? :shock:
Rogaine is gonna be a pain in the *** for you, because you are a diffuse thinner, so youll probably want to put minoxidil all over your head, its hard sh*t.
regular male pattern baldness is better than diffuse thinning in my opinion.
you could try revivogen, i dunno...

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I would get a second opinion from a trusted and experienced tricologist

I started to receed at the age of 13, I know how hard this must be for you.

Reaction score

My hair has been like in the pics since 14 and am now 16. As I am a duffuse thinner, regaine would be a huge problem as they is so much to cover. Also my sides of my head have quite abit of hair loss, so have no idea about weather to put regaine on the sides as well.

ATM I have lost hope and there is no solution for me thus far due to this happening, making the situation even worse. The plus of my hair loss is that it its thin all over, therefore is less visable, however that is an awful thing having so much hair loss. I am doing well thus far in my a levels and my tests are next month, therefore need to just think about that. If I get the grades and become a doctor, theh maybe by that time there will be a solution even for a baldy like me. Thats why I need to get a good job, so that I have enough money for treatment.

A huge kick in the teeth though is that the trichologist said my hair was thin all over my head, most bald people having thick hair on there sides. So he said if I did get a Hair transplant, my hair would not be able to cover the scars. My hair is the worst I have ever seen, even compared to people completely bald on top, however have thick hair on there sides.

When I comb my hait and sleep or have a bath, I never visually see hair fall. Is that a good or bad thing? Could simply be that my hair is so thin, it is just too thin to see once it has fallen out.

s.a.f

Reaction score

TBH I think that clinic will just be interested in pushing products at you.££££
You'll probably get better advice staying on here than going to some derm/tri
I'm afraid my best advice to you is probably just to shave it and try regain until for a few years until you are old enough to go onto finasteride.
One other possibility is to try a concealer such as toppic or nanogen fibres. It wont help your hairloss but I'm guessing that you'd be desperate to improve your hairs appearance, I can only imagine how devastating this must be at your age. :(

Reaction score

What I do not understand is the trichologist. He said that hair loss from BMP occurs on the sides of the head and also the back, something which I have never seen. I will name and shame. The trichologists name is Richard Spencer and would not recommend him for a million quid.

I will post more pics soon, very soon.

s.a.f

Reaction score

Well actually it often does, I think what he meant was that the donor area or Horseshoe/back and sides (whatever you want to call it) can also thin out although it does'nt go totally bald like ontop of the head.

Reaction score

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj26 ... _tab_album

More pics. In your opinion, is this classic male pattern baldness? Looking at those pictures makes me more and more sick. The hair loss is just too pronounced, I think its time I accepted being bald at 14. The school I am in at the moment state that short hair cannot be kept. Once I finish six form next year and go into uni, will have to shave head every day. I cannot even have a hair transplant when I grow up as my hair is just too thin to cover the scars.

I give up. Hopefully get a good job and get over this. Never going to get a GF until 30 LOL, going to look like there father before then. At least my physical condition is sound and education will hopefully get me far.