Hairs in the sink after applying Minoxidil?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is technically a shed or what?

When I apply Rogaine Foam, I generally see about 30-40 hairs in the sink or on my hands after application. These hairs are both non-miniaturized and miniaturized. In addition, the hairs are of various lengths as well.

Is this caused by being overly aggressive in massaging in the Foam in areas of diffuse loss or just a typical shed?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its apparently normal to shed between 50-100 hairs a day. However when you use minoxidil based products it can cause your hair to shed (non terminal and terminal hair, but mostly non terminal as it has a shorter life cycle). The reason for this being is that minoxidil stimulates hair growth by shedding the existing hair so it can build new hair to takes its place that will be stronger and thicker than the hair just shed. The only way such growth can occur is through shedding. On further note minoxidil can disrupt the hairs natural life cycle and cause it to shed early, This might be why even terminal hairs are effected (by shedding). Bottom line is i woudnt worry about it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

This has been happening with the Foam for 2 years or more.

I am mostly concerned by the various lengths of the hairs that I find in my hands after application.

Is this just shedding or perhaps breakage of the hair shaft from aggressively rubbing in the Foam?

ali777

Reaction score
LostAnagenCycle said:
Is this just shedding or perhaps breakage of the hair shaft from aggressively rubbing in the Foam?

Look for the roots. If you see a bulb like white-ish round head, it's a shed. If it's a breakage, the hair wouldn't have a root.

Eg: http://vapour-trail.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... rands.html

My roots are actually smaller than in those pictures. I guess having smaller roots is a proof that I have an male pattern baldness and my hair follicles are shrinking.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
if the end of the hair is like burned brown color what would you say ali

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
don't count hairs, just look your hair on the mirror, or even better take pics every month. It's the best way to know what's happening without risking to go crazy!

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I was on 1 mg (Propecia) Finasteride for a year, then switched to 1.25 mg Proscar about 6 months ago.

Seems like I shed every three months on 1 mg Finasteride during the first year (with periods of notable improvement), and I am now shedding pretty good after being on 1.25 mg of Finasteride for only 6 months.

Just wondering if it is an increased shed after being on 1.25 mg for only 6 months, or if the Rogaine Foam (which I have been using for 2 yrs) is causing me to constantly cycle and shed.

I have been on Finasteride for a total of 18 months.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
mr.lostanagen i think your hair got thinned out heavily means it will happen like me

i got back side are thinning and mostly in my crown,vertex,
and i am in NW2~3. i can pretty say that i had severe thin in my crown,vertex,
after been in finasteride and duats i got healthy hair past three months i am seeing a good results with shedding so please don't panic if you too much shed of unhealthy hair or a tiny growing hair it should be noted your respondinng very well by your regime so keep going whatever stops you or shed you.............. :punk:

finasteride and dutas totally one year..............heavy shedding on tiny and unhealthy hair at jan09.................