Happy as Larry's Story (22, sorry no pics yet)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum but I've been reading it for many months, and now I feel like joining in. Well, I started to lose my hair when I was just about to turn 18...I had just left school in fact. I decided to shave my head, just to see what it looked like, never tried it before, and I noticed thinning at my temples. At this point I wasn't terribly concerned because the hair loss was so mild that even with a shaved head the loss it was barely noticeable. However, it has progressed quite quickly. By 19 I was a norwood 2, and at 22 I'm a norwood 2 with significant diffuse thinning, although I'm still at that stage where, with the right length and style, I can get away with it looking like a mature hairline.
Like alot of other people on here, I guess, I've suffered significant distress, anxiety, self-loathing and general misery because of my hair loss...A neurotic personality and premature balding are a pretty tough combo. I've always been incredibly sensitive about my appearance, and understandably so, I have alot of conventionally unattractive features - crooked nose, bad skin, very scrawny, and because of my poor posture people say I'm short (I'm actually 5'10" which isn't so bad). Anyway, to experience hair loss on top of this just felt like too much to take...Other guys my age are passed worrying about acne, and don't yet have to think about balding...Not me, I have to worry about both. I started taking propecia at 20, but stopped for a while due to the cost. I learned the hard way that it was working for me, plus no sides, and I'm back on it now and using Nizoral. Before propecia I shaved my hair down to zero, and it unburdened me of anxiety over thinning hair, but got the usual insults a young white guy can expect (neo-nazi, cancer patient...).
Finally I'd like to share a story that epitomises the misery of my hair loss...Afew months after starting propecia my hair had grown too long for my level of hair loss, and I couldn't be bothered styling it, so wore a hat all day (at home with my family). In the evening, infront of my whole family, I was sitting next to my big brother (who is himself a thinning norwood 3), and he pulled off my hat and...it looked awful. Thin, wispy, long hair sticking up everywhere, the recession and general density looked awful, you could see my scalp, and he pointed at my hair and burst out laughing, and grabbed my neck to turn my head so everyone else could see, and my other brothers and sister sat laughing at me also...He even called my mum in so she could see how bad it is..I felt to utterly crushed and humiliated I quietly left the room and spent the rest of the night devastated, in tears. Yup, bad times.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Happy as Larry's story

Damn.... that story was harsh.

TheGrifter1

Reaction score

Hey Happy as Larry, that's a terrible story, especially coming from your brother! I was just wondering how you're doing now you're back on propecia?

Reaction score

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Well, I've been back on propecia for four months and I'm going to go out on a limb and say the hair loss seems to have stabilised again. I know with my relatively aggressive hair loss I probably won't get regrowth, but I'm going to try and stay optimistic about maintenance. I'd like to post some pics, but I lost the darn cable that connects my mobile to my computer.
Yeah, I don't get why my brother was so insensitive, but he's never been particularly bothered about losing his hair, so maybe didn't realise it would hurt me so much.