Harmful shampoos? Never using shampoos again?

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought that even hair loss shampoos are bad for you and that rinsing your head under water 2 times a day is the way to go?

The reason I say this is because I used to have acne, and I used every type of treatment that was available on the market, cleansers, toners, moisturizers. They were supposed to help but it seemed that they did more damage than good. Some were very irritable because of the chemicals and alot of the moisturizers just plugged up my follicles.

But once i stopped using any cleaners or moisturizers or anything and all and just scrubbed my face in the shower 2 times a day, I am basically spot free, I haven't had so much clear skin for such a long time before.

So I was wondering...washing your hair with shampoos filled with chemicals could also have adverse effects, and since i wash my hair 2 times a day with shampoo (i have oily hair) then maybe never using shampoo again and just scrubbing with warm water would be better?

Has anyone given this topic any thought? This keeps going through my mind because i've read about how head and shoulders actually accelerated hairloss in alot of people...that could happen with alot of other types of shampoos as well i assume....

G

Yes chemicals like Sodium lauryl sulfate and Sodium laureth sulfate I don't think are completely safe. When tested on animals, some minor/moderate harm was experienced in some tests. These are just 2 of the chemicals found in almost all the shampoos I've seen. I made the decision last week to go all herbal shampoo with no chemicals at all.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
what about just washing your hair with hot water and scrubbing with your fingers? Do you think that is enough to cleanse the scalp of any DHT buildup?

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I once went for months without using shampoo (read about it here and here).

But that was just to see whether it was possible. As for fighting hair loss, I'd take the shampoo route. The "natural way" is not always the best way, and before your scalp gets used to not being washed, you'll probably see an increase in hair loss.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea see that was one thing I was worried about....although not washing with shampoos maybe better for the scalp, i'm not sure if just plain water is enough to wash away DHT buildup...

Petchsky

Reaction score
Some people just wash with conditioner and say that works great for them. I tried it, but left my hair to limp and greasy.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
What is scalp DHT anyways? is there such a thing or is it just a term so people can sort of visualize something bad on the scalp? Is it even possible to wash off like actual sebum on your scalp?

CCS

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
and that rinsing your head under water 2 times a day is the way to go?

This will not remove oil build up, and will still be difficult to remove other build up without the foaming action. Buy some perfume like they did in the old days, if you don't think the perfume is toxic also.