Has anyone ever taken Boxing classes?

Obsidian

Reaction score
Pardon the CCS-like topic but I have always been interested in Boxing and it would kind of be a nice break than the usual go-running or lift weights routine 3-times a week.

Anyone ever been in one or a one or one training session? Worth it or should I just save my money.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Bag work and sparring are some of the most demanding physical excercises you can do, and it sharpens your reflexes too.

I don't do boxing, though I do take part in a number of martial arts and the sparring is gruelling; to get a taste for it, try laying into a mattress for a few minutes and see how long you can go before you're exhusted.

Prior to sparring I thought I was quite fit, months of tough gym work with an instructor made me over-confident. I started doing some punch bag work and was literally gasping for breath with my arms feeling like jelly after about 40 seconds :)

oni

Reaction score
Go for Muay Thai if you can, it will work your whole body more. I train about 4-5 times a week .

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Make sure your back and stomach muscles are in decent shape for Muay Thai. The kick can be murder on a weak back. I'd tart with boxing, then move to Muay Thai, having done both for several years. The boxing work out will include sit ups, etc. PS sparring a lot will make you good, but it's bad for the brain, so, be careful.

Cassin

Reaction score
oni said:
Go for Muay Thai if you can, it will work your whole body more. I train about 4-5 times a week .

Agree 100%. Or at least kick boxing classes.

Or if you just want cardio and don't want to spend a lot play racquet ball. Amazing cardio and its fun.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I took a series of boxing classes over the course of a summer several years ago, just to try it out. I'm sure all classes are different, but I'll give you a synopsis of my experience.

It's extremely demanding. I was first taught foot positioning, then footwork and rhythm. In boxing, you are CONSTANTLY moving. If you stopped moving, the instructor would bap you on the head with his training mitt. The lesson is that if you stand still, you're an easy target.

After footwork and movement, they started teaching how to use your hands. You need to keep your hands UP in a defensive posture in front of your face at all times. Drop your hands, and the instructor bops you. Then, they taught punching. Jabs from either hand. Then different angles of punches from either hand. Then.. combinations... and you had to synchronize the rhythm of your footwork to serve as a trigger for your upper body combinations. The thing that was really hard to remember was to keep the hands up AFTER throwing a combination. After you punch, it's so easy to drop your hands and contemplate your result, but if you did so, you opened yourself up to counterattack.

Believe it or not, it is a LOT to think about when you're sparring... keep moving... keep your hands up... remember combinations... KEEP MOVING... DON'T DROP YOUR HANDS... all the while the instructor is using the mitt whenever you screw up. And, you aren't just doing your rhythmic movements... side to side, up and down, etc... the instructor is also forcing you to side step laterally, in a circular pattern around the ring.

Towards the end of my sessions, we did mitt sparring of 3 rounds of 3 minutes each. And, I'm not too shabby of an athlete, but it pretty much kicked my ***. The last three minute rounds of each session seemed like an eternity. I was sweating like a hog.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
Pardon the CCS-like topic but I have always been interested in Boxing and it would kind of be a nice break than the usual go-running or lift weights routine 3-times a week.

Anyone ever been in one or a one or one training session? Worth it or should I just save my money.

it really depends, i used to exercise and then completely scrapped exercising twice a week for doing jui-jitsu twice a week
and i could say jui-jitsu is well worth the money but i wouldn't know about boxing
the instructor matters more than anything, if you have a bad instructor it'll be boring and unfulfilling if you have a good instructor you won't regret spending a penny

oni

Reaction score
If you take up Muay Thai make sure you learn the Wai Khru Ram.

It is great for pulling a girl on the dance floor......................................... But only out in the jungle in Thailand:whistle:

oni

Reaction score
47thin said:
Make sure your back and stomach muscles are in decent shape for Muay Thai. The kick can be murder on a weak back. I'd tart with boxing, then move to Muay Thai, having done both for several years. The boxing work out will include sit ups, etc. PS sparring a lot will make you good, but it's bad for the brain, so, be careful.

I would stick with one or the other don't start one to look to move to the other.

You can improve your hand skills in boxing but everything else is not good for Muay Thai you will just pickup bad habits.