Has Anyone Tried Or Thought To Try Doxycycline?

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s supposed kill inflammation even in the presence of dht. I know it’s a antibacterial, and should only be done in round type dosing, but sounds worth a try? Anyone

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have any other scalp/skin issues? I assume you are referring to Oracea (low-dose doxy)? If so, I am trying it now, but I also have acne and seborrheic dermatitis. I've only been using it a few weeks, but no improvement just yet.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro don't take an antibiotic to treat hair-loss. Are you serious? Further you can't sustain long-term use of antibiotics. You can develop serious resistance and die from a antibiotic resistant infection. Try the normal standard FDA approved routes first.

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro don't take an antibiotic to treat hair-loss. Are you serious? Further you can't sustain long-term use of antibiotics. You can develop serious resistance and die from a antibiotic resistant infection. Try the normal standard FDA approved routes first.

BUTWHYTHO: These are not antibiotic dosages. I don't think you read my post carefully or have done any research.

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any other scalp/skin issues? I assume you are referring to Oracea (low-dose doxy)? If so, I am trying it now, but I also have acne and seborrheic dermatitis. I've only been using it a few weeks, but no improvement just yet.
Not that I have been diagnosed with, but I just read that it cuts inflammation even in the presence of dht

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
BUTWHYTHO: These are not antibiotic dosages. I don't think you read my post carefully or have done any research.

No I haven't done any research. I just googled the drug. From what I've read it can treat a variety of infections. But it's also used for acne.

Doxycycline works by controlling bacteria. Although acne isn’t an infection, and it’s not contagious, antibiotics can help clear up breakouts by reducing the amount of acne-causing bacteria on the skin—in this case, Propionibacterium acnes.

Again it's an antibiotic. I don't see a relation between that and hair loss. Perhaps from it's secondary role of anti inflammation. But you haven't shown how dramatically it reduces inflammation and whether it even reduces scalp inflammation.

And again you can't use this drug long term, even for acne Short-term use of doxycycline is the goal.

There are other drugs and better avenues to approach hair loss than antibiotics

Splatt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No I haven't done any research. I just googled the drug. From what I've read it can treat a variety of infections. But it's also used for acne.

Doxycycline works by controlling bacteria. Although acne isn’t an infection, and it’s not contagious, antibiotics can help clear up breakouts by reducing the amount of acne-causing bacteria on the skin—in this case, Propionibacterium acnes.

Again it's an antibiotic. I don't see a relation between that and hair loss. Perhaps from it's secondary role of anti inflammation. But you haven't shown how dramatically it reduces inflammation and whether it even reduces scalp inflammation.

And again you can't use this drug long term, even for acne Short-term use of doxycycline is the goal.

There are other drugs and better avenues to approach hair loss than antibiotics[/QUOTE

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends man. There's a lot of info on this site.
There's the usual 5 alpha reductase drugs like finasteride and dutasteride.
There's topical solutions like RU, topical min/finasteride combos.
There's all kinds of hormonal drugs. Check out the hormonal drug post. Has like a 100+ pages of good info.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am trying minoxycline 200mg daily, just started 4 days ago. Stop call this an antiobitic, it is from 1971, most probably most baterias are resistent to it. It is used to treat Arthritis to depression . It will definitive works . There was a Mayo Clinic doctor that use it as protocol for Androgenetic Alopecia.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends man. There's a lot of info on this site.
There's the usual 5 alpha reductase drugs like finasteride and dutasteride.
There's topical solutions like RU, topical min/finasteride combos.
There's all kinds of hormonal drugs. Check out the hormonal drug post. Has like a 100+ pages of good info.
Incredible that you are mention Ru !!!!! a drug NEVER tested in humans and that most probable will go systemic.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score

There are other drugs and better avenues to approach hair loss than antibiotics

You are so, so , so wrong. Why do you thing that all tetracyclines are using on Acne !! ACNE is not a bacterial problem, no any other antibiotic works. READ PUBMED ! read clinical trial, read studies. Damn, is not so hard .

If you think that doxy or mino still kill bacteria, do a little research, this drugs have being on the market since early 70s , have you ever heard about resistance ?

If is an bacterial problem, can you please explain why Finasteride, dutasteride, spironolactone, works in acne ?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
You are so, so , so wrong. Why do you thing that all tetracyclines are using on Acne !! ACNE is not a bacterial problem, no any other antibiotic works. READ PUBMED ! read clinical trial, read studies. Damn, is not so hard .

If you think that doxy or mino still kill bacteria, do a little research, this drugs have being on the market since early 70s , have you ever heard about resistance ?

If is an bacterial problem, can you please explain why Finasteride, dutasteride, spironolactone, works in acne ?

There are different forms of acne....... not all acne is androgen related if that’s what you’re getting at.

OP, I’ve used doxy low dose and standard dose for bacterial folliculitis. When I was on the standard dose, it did clear up some. Low dose takes a while to work supposedly.. I’ve used it, helped clear some folliculitis as just as well in about three months and then I got off. You just need to make sure you have bacterial issues. Could be fungal, androgen related, sensitivity to chemicals etc.. it DOES effect pgd2. Read studies about its effects on it. That’s a reason it decreases inflammation.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Ya man I don't really want to get into a debate.
I'm not well read on this drug.
And I don't think you are either.
You're just telling me to read pubmed.
Why don't you post articles about doxy and hair loss then?
But from what I read doxycycline doesn't kill bacteria but it stops bacterial synthesis.
Further hormonal drugs like finasteride, dutasteride, spironolactone most likely prevent acne secondary.
I don't know the mechanisms of action for their effects on acne.
If you believe this drug is helpful then show us evidence.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya man I don't really want to get into a debate.
I'm not well read on this drug.
And I don't think you are either.
You're just telling me to read pubmed.
Why don't you post articles about doxy and hair loss then?
But from what I read doxycycline doesn't kill bacteria but it stops bacterial synthesis.
Further hormonal drugs like finasteride, dutasteride, spironolactone most likely prevent acne secondary.
I don't know the mechanisms of action for their effects on acne.
If you believe this drug is helpful then show us evidence.

Dude, Really ? prevent acne secondary !?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? Jesus, so according to you, Acne is a contagious disease!!! as any other bacterial infection disease ! .
So, this bacteria most actually attack teams, right ? lol. And I should copy and pasted you here a 100s articles cause you are to lazy to search for them ?
You are an ignorant, so plain and simple like that.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Excess sebum is effective in acne formation.
sebum is in absolute androgen control. Spironolactone, dutasteride and finasteride reduce the expression of the androgen receptor.
therefore, these three can be good for acne.
also I can show dozens of evidence that the acne is bacterial
The bacterial growth is cause the excessive sebum production, it is a consequence, not the cause.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, Really ? prevent acne secondary !?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? Jesus, so according to you, Acne is a contagious disease!!! as any other bacterial infection disease ! .
So, this bacteria most actually attack teams, right ? lol. And I should copy and pasted you here a 100s articles cause you are to lazy to search for them ?
You are an ignorant, so plain and simple like that.

K

widow'speak

My Regimen
Reaction score
The first major problem is that this just isn't sustainable. Also this can eff up your gut bacteria like you woudn't believe after dosing long term. If youre going after inflammation why not just take an aspiring or even ibuprofen everyday?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
The first major problem is that this just isn't sustainable. Also this can eff up your gut bacteria like you woudn't believe after dosing long term. If youre going after inflammation why not just take an aspiring or even ibuprofen everyday?
Aspirin interfere with the enzyme that make active Minoxidil. Ibu and Aspirin will also inhibit the good prostaglandin, plus, it only attack prostaglandines and not he othere inflammatories molecules.