Have i any options? with pics

rickywatts

Reaction score
Hey i'm 21 and as you can see am in a bad condition, general thinning all over the top but no receading, what can i do if anything.

28ind51.jpg

now a pic with flash which makes it a whole lot worse

6e20p5.jpg

So like i said whats my options. I take it i'll be completely bald in 1 year right? :thumbdown2:

Aplunk1

Reaction score
You're diffuse thinning, and it's probably Male Pattern Baldness.

Get on Rogaine Foam.

Get a Prescription for Propecia (or Proscar, the same active ingredient).

Ask your doctor for Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo. If you run a search on these forums, or google it, you'll see why.

You have a good chance of regrowing some and maintaining the rest.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
When did it start thinning? First use finasteride to see if its all you need to maintain, then get on foam with the buzz cut after a year if you want more regrowth. Of course you should see a derm to get a proper diagnosis and the prescription for finasteride or proscar. Someone like you thats young should see good results.

rickywatts

Reaction score
Whats finasteride? Is it the same as propecia, i dont mind if it dosent get really thick again, id happy keep it this short as long as it gets to a point where you can see the shine from my head.

I'll look at the Propecia, but im not going to spend a fortune on a ton of miracle cures. I'll see how i get on with the propecia first, i'll make an appointment

Edit to add, people have told me its been thinning since about 17

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have a ton of other options besides finasteride, minoxidil, and nizoral.

You can inhibit 5 alpha reductase (whihc is what finasteride does) by topically applying coal tar extract. You cna get this in a shampoo like t-gel or t-sal, or make your own topical. Do a search for LCD (liquor carbonis detegens)

Topical application of copper peptides or apple polyphenols have shown good results for hair regrowth.

Nizoral is a shampoo which contains ketoconazole, but like t-gel and t-sal it contains the irritant SLS as a surfactant. I'd use Revita instead.

You'll find all of the big 3 have their problems, although not everyone experiences them. Minoxidil causes water retention (giving people a fat face sometimes) and also there have been reports of dark circles under one's eyes, as well as poor looking skin and premature wrinkling. I got a fat face form it and discontinued use, although it is an excellent growth stimulant. It would be worth trying.

Finasteride causes man boobs, changes the consistency of ejaculate, and has been reported to cause "brain fog." I used finasteride for 2+ years with good results. It gave me all of these 3 things and also shrank my pecker a bit too, I think.

Do some research here if you are serious about your hair loss. Read posts by michael berry, dogj077, and Jacob in the Experimental and New Research and Discoveries section.

I'd use curcumin, retin-A, GHK copper peptides, LCD, Apple Polephenols from http://www.applepoly.com , green tea extract, Blood of the Dragon, keratonocyte growth factor, superoxide dismutase, natural menthol, ketoconazole, caffeine, and a host of other things if I had the money. 4 of these ingredients you get in Revita shampoo. You can get custom topicals made by Elsom Research although they are expensive.

Bottom line is: you have treatment options besides the "big 3"..my advice is to ask people what they've all tried if they just tell you to use the "big 3"...my guess would be not much.

rickywatts

Reaction score
I think i'd be better off bald than have man boobs and a small c***. I think its time i just accepted it.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you go to Success Stories you will see people have had hair worse than you and have gorwn back practically all of their hair.

You are actually lucky with respect to hair loss, you've got your hair line....the hair line hardly ever completely comes back....if you used minoxidil, coal tar extract and ketoconazole shampoo, you'd probably get back most/all of your hair. And you could get all 3 at the drug store.

rickywatts

Reaction score
ok, im no good at this, can you give me the names of the products i need, mabye there is a uk site you can link me too which has them? If i type minoxidil into google i get something about cameras, also cannot find the success stories section.

So if you can give me links or exact names that would be great, but as i said id rather stay away from the things with side effects. Thanks.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's minoxidil. minoxidil for short. Rogaine Foam is just minoxidil, Spectral-DNC is another minoxidil product with a ton of other stuff. I'd use Spectral-DNC if I were you. It's made by DS Labs, they also make Revita shampoo.

If I were you I'd buy some T-Sal shampoo too. Actually I'd make my own topical with LCD to avoid using SLS, but the the coal tar extract in T-Sal will inhibit 5 alpha reductase. I think the salicylic acid in it might help also, but forget why.

rickywatts

Reaction score
ok i just ordered minoxidil by itself, the other stuff seems a little to complex for me to understand at the minute. Will minoxidil work by itself? Thats the regrower right? what does the other stuff do?

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The other stuff works on the androgen front.

Androgens (testosterone and dihydrotestosterorne a.k.a DHT) attach to the follicle and gradually kill it off. It is vital to address the issue of hair loss on this front, in my opinion.

Ketoconazole reduces T. T is reduced by 5 alpha-reductase into DHT. DHT is much more of a threat to hair than T. So ketoconazole is a good product to use. It may also work because of other mechanisms of action, but there is no proof of this. It has, however, been shown to regrow hair and increase the shaft diameter.

Coal tar extract inhibits the formation of 5ar. Doing this, obviously, prevents T to being reduced to DHT. By reducing the amount of T and the amount of 5ar in your scalp you will be reducing the amount of DHT. I suggest you buy the shampoos I've suggested.

Best of luck to you.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ricky, dont listen to this idiot when he says propecia causes man boobs and shrunken dick and BS like that. He's obviously trying to scare you off because A.) he either never took it because he was too scared, or B.) he took it and got sides so hes fear mongering you because it didnt work for him....If you look at the success stories, 99% of the people there are taking propecia as their STAPLE. It is the BEST way to prevent any more loss and help maintain the hair that you have...

Forget this coal tar bullshit, i doubt youll find one success story with people taking this instead of propecia.

Look, some people do experience side effects with propecia, but if you do some research, youll find that the half-life of propecia(finasteride) is less that 8 hours. So if you do experience side effects they should be resolved by the same time you stop taking the pill the very next day. It is definitely worth trying, you WONT regret it. I know i dont regret it.

I was SO CLOSE to being fear mongered into stopping by people like folliclly challenged after only a month or two of taking it. I then discussed possible sides with my derm, my General practitioner, and emailed a reputable hair loss doctor, who you can easily find discussions about on this site, Dr. Richard Lee, and asked them all about the possibility of permanent damage from propecia. They all dismissed the claim and told me that it is a VERY SAFE drug, and although side effects may occur (in less than 1% of patients during clinical trials), the side effects are always resolved within days of ceasing dosages.

After 7 and 1/2 months, my hair is looking a lot better and im glad i took finasteride.

Forget about coal tar and revita and all that crap, Im going to tell you, like 99% of the people on this site will tell you, that you need to go with the BIG THREE. Im sorry that folicaly challenged got to your story before someone with more common sense did, but do yourself a big favor and dont listen to another word he says and start researching this site more on your own and start forming you own opinions...

the big 3 are.:

1 propecia ( get a prescription from your Doctor or order online from inhousepharmacy or unitedpharmacies)

2 Rogaine (minoxidil, to answer you question from before, it doesnt matter what brand rogain or generic kirkland will be fine)

3 Nizoral shampoo 1 or 2% ( use it maybe 2-3 times a week, this isnt necessary but helps inflammation from minoxidil and may help stop some hair loss.)

... dont bother with all the other "remedies" and BS youll discourage yourself out of taking what really does work. Dont take it from me though if you dont want to, but do you own research here, just a day or two of research ( on success forum and story forum) and youll find that nearly everyone is using the big three if they can tolerate it. and 99% of folks can. Youll be fine with propecia, i thought i was experiencing sides at first and got freaked out, then i came to my senses and stopped listeing to idiots like this guy and i was FINE...by the way, they will also say it inhibits muscle, weight gain etc...Not true, ive been actively involved in college sports and still am, it hasnt hurt my physique not one bit, im very pleased with finasteride and im glad i didnt listen to idiots telling me ill grow man tits.

rickywatts

Reaction score
thanks for the post im getting the last two products you mentioned anyway. Where is the success forum i hear people mentioning i cant find it. Got a link?

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dogs3, if you followed the forum, you'd know the coal tar thing was something michael berry reference not long ago.

you'd also have noticed that t-sal/t-gel was a component in the success stories of people who've experienced some of the best results. back then people used it because they thought it helped with inflammation.

Where did you read Nizoral helps with inflammation caused my minoxidil? I could only see it increasing inflammation because of the SLS, except for the fact that it likely reduces inflammation caused by DHT. (Thank you CCS for posting the study from inflammation caused by SLS!)

I took finasteride for 2 years and avodart for almost a year. I received definite regrowth from the finasteride....it also turned my ejaculate into being runnier and yellow. i am glad to report my ejaculate is back to being white. it was never fluffy, so i think the consistency is the same.

i stopped taking avodart because i could not afford hair loss drugs, however in retrospect i am very glad i did. i do not want to give my children birth defects. i would postulate there would be an increased risk of birth defects as the finasteride/dutasteride has a noticable effect on my ejaculate. if there is an increased risk (and I am not saying there is)it is likely minor, considering the widespread usage of the two drugs for a considerable period of time.

Most people here are not men of means and cannot afford a quality regimen, in my opinion. It's also only been recently that all the new discoveries have come to light. So of course the people are going to be using the cheapest stuff which also have the most documentation behind it.

I am maintaining with Revita, 3.5 months now. I realize the half-life of Avodart is long enough that this is not nearly long enough to gauge much of anything. When I increase my regimen, I'd see no need at present time to start using hair loss drugs again, considering what we know now, as my hair loss is not major, and I know any hair loss I might get could be easily treated with follecular unit extractions (hair transplants).

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tricomin (which has GHK copper peptides) is a product shown in FDA trials to regrow hair by itself. I'd definitely add that to your regimen if money is not a major concern. They sell it at this website, too. :)

rickywatts

Reaction score
Where is the cheapest places to get the real finasteride/propecia online or to get it in the uk?

Would it be cheaper getting it from a doctor?

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dr Rassman from baldingblog has said repeatedly that although early tests indicate that dutasteride may have an impact on lowering sperm counts, finasteride has not shown to have any impact on sperm count whatsoever. So your postulation is incorrect, at least as far as finasteride goes.

And as far as coal tar and t-gel, yeah its a good shampoo, but your not going to hold on to your hair when youve got agressive male pattern baldness with a damn shampoo, and i used revita as well by the way, they threw in a bunch of sh*t and it is also probably a good shampoo, but its not going to work as well as finasteride or dutasteride.

I think telling the guy that he WILL experience side effects is downright selfish, what the hell do you have against these two drugs? Why not tell him "hey, the sides got to me but the overwhelming evidence is that they won't get to you". Or you could go on a tangent about how "merck lies" and bs like that.

Look, the sexual sides from finasteride from the trials were around 1%. The placebo's sexual sides were just under 1%, read up on these forums, and make your own decision. but dont expect to maintain your hair for very long with coal tar and minoxidil.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
by the way the cheapest place to get propecia online is buying Proscar from either inhousepharmacy.com or unitedpharmacies.com..

proscar is 5 mg finasteride so what people here do is buy proscar then cut the pills into quarters to save money, the quartered pills are roughly 1.25 mg of finasteride. youll end up saving a ton of money doing it this way.

And follically challenged, you got me, i dont exactly know what the hell nizoral does thats good for your hair. Apparently there is some evidence that it is a good topical anti androgen, i think thats it right? Whatever, I didn't post here to debate some damn shampoos anyway. I just wanted to post the facts about propecia.