Heinrich´s story (29/5 years treatment/maintaining)

Heinrich

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a former HairLossTalk.com veteran poster(Taugenichts, some older ones probably remember me, Hello s.a.f :whaasup: ) . I joined in 2006 when I started losing hair. Well, actually it was the time I realized I was losing it. Before I had been in denial for about one and a half year, I guess many know this stage of hair loss.....

What can I say. I started with Finasteride. The success was not so good at the beginning. I still had major shedding. I often freaked out and I still was obsessed with my hair. But thinking back, I nevertheless noted a change on my head. The occasional itching had stopped. The treatments only needed some time to actually start working and show results. Well, but who remains rational when one is losing his hair????

Thus, a few months later I started Dutasteride and minoxidil. Initially I wanted to save these two for later stages but then I thought to myself: Why not start with the big guns from early on?

As time went by, my hair started to stabilize. About 18 months after I started the treatment I noticed no more shedding. On the (many, many, many) pics I had taken it still looked thinner that before, but imo it never was visible to the average person.

I think it was in 2009 when I decided it was better to go back to finasteride from dutasteride. I did this mainly out of health concerns. I noticed no change.

Today, in 2011, my hair loss has definetly stabilized. To the uneducated (educated in hair loss or the Norwood scale) person I look like a guy with a full head of hair. On the scale I am between 1 and 2 (normal mature hairline). The hair is fine, but equally distributed. Maybe it is just in my head, but I often think that hair on the sides (the area usually not affected by male pattern baldness) is thinner that the hair on the rest of my head. But maybe I am just paranoid, who knows. As you grow older you will notice that more and more people of your age are starting to lose hair. It helps you to accept your own loss when you see others who have worse hair than you. Maybe it is not nice to say this because it sounds like I am taking pleasure in other people´s suffering, but that´s just how I am..... :dunno:

Ironically, hair loss is probably the least of my problems today. I have major difficulties in my "life", which make hair loss seem like a bad joke. Something I would advise the newbies to keep in mind.

Regards and good luck to all of you

P.S. I will post no more pictures of my hair, so you will have to trust on my words!

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
This is great, thanks for sharing! Good luck to you.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Great story indeed, at least regarding the hairloss. I don't know about your other problems...

In what sort of pattern did you lose your hair? Did your hairline recede, or did you became diffuse on top or crown? Also, how did you make the switch between dutasteride and finasteride? Cause I'm also taking Dutasteride now, and would like to change back.

Good luck with the rest.

Heinrich

Reaction score
deadlocks said:
Great story indeed, at least regarding the hairloss. I don't know about your other problems...

In what sort of pattern did you lose your hair? Did your hairline recede, or did you became diffuse on top or crown? Also, how did you make the switch between dutasteride and finasteride? Cause I'm also taking Dutasteride now, and would like to change back.

Good luck with the rest.
Mainly thinning on the crown. I am not even sure if my hairline did recede. It basically looks like a mature hairline on a high forehead. But it suits me, because I have a long face as I have realized.

I searched for topics about switching from dutasteride to finasteride, but I only found some theories, no basic facts. So I just decreased my dutasteride intake (well, you can´t split dutasteride, I just took longer breaks) and started finasteride simultanously.