Heirline's Story - (30 female / hair loss since 18)

heirline

Reaction score
Hi, actually, I am not entirely new to the board, took a long vacation and can not find my log in. In either case, I left I was doing quite well, my hair had actually gotten so thick, I was being told so even by strangers several times per day (not kidding)
I remember having little hairs along my hair line as a child and thought they looked quite cool. Around 18 they became bothersome and I thought I should give my dad's rogaine a try. The only reason I realized I had a problem is that lots of hair started to grow because of the rogaine. I thought, wow, this is how my hairline should really look like. What I hate the most is that I could no longer enjoy smooth skin on my body. I went from being hairless (none on my thighs, none on my arms, upper lip or chin) to having dark hairs all over my body. I started understanding how rogaine really works and when the body hair became unbearable I would stop the rogaine, wax it all off and it would stop growing back. But then after several months of feeling pretty-no facial fuzz, chin hairs, shaving every day including my fingers-my head hair starts to fall out and it's so unbearable that I pick up rogaine again.
I was just pregnant and used rogaine throughout half of my pregnancy after I asked my doctor. All rogaine I have used has been topical 5% only. My OB said it should be fine during pregnancy because it is topical solution so the absorption level is very low. At my 30th week of pregnancy I developed severe Polyhydramnios (excess amniotic fluid) and no one understood why this happened. I stopped using rogaine at this time. I had a healthy baby boy but he was 3.5 weeks early. He was born EXTREMELY HAIRY looked like a baby monkey. His fontanelles closed early. I am 100% all this happened because of my use of minoxydil during pregancy, especially the polyhydramnios. Throughout all this, my hair has been amazing until this summer. I had not been using rogaine at all and finally got to enjoy my beautiful hair while all my body hair had fallen out. Those couple of months felt amazing, I never felt so great about myself. Towards the end of aug 2008 I noticed my hairline got weird, especially the sides. I coould see my skin was really white there compared to the rest of my face. I had never seen that area bare before. I started noticing short hairs along the hairline. Today it is a disaster. I started using rogaine again but my hairline has only gotten worse, no improvement in the last 3 months. usually I would see great improvement in 3 months. My gross body hair is back and Im also back to shaving my hands and even fingers. I have a ton of fuzz on my face again. I am pretty bummed out about this.
FYI: I had been to derms about my hairloss in the past, was on spironolactone but did not see results. The derms made it difficult for me to get the spironolactone every time so i gave it up. All im using now is minoxidil 5% and thinking about buying toppik. The other day I read some posts here on hair transplant and I thinking about it except I am broke at the moment. I do not have diffuse hair loss but I have gotten no hairline left at all so was thinking transplant would not be so costly since the are is not as large as it would be if I had baldness on a different area. I would say I would need a 1 inch band of hair growing from one side of the forehead to the other. I wish I never had to deal w this. And the body hair drives me crazy. I had electrolysis, laser and the hair still grows back, dark and thick every time minoxidil goes onto my head.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: I am Heirline, 30 female, hair loss sine 18

I'm a little confused. What kind of hair loss do you have; and why did you start using rogaine in the first place for the hairline?!! Hairs become minoxidil dependant so maybe thats why they're shedding.

shadowRX

Established Member
Reaction score
Girls hair is supposed to have progressively shorter hair at the hairline. It is completely normal. Its the same thing as nape hair on your neck.