HELP! 17 with thinning hair/receding hairline

tizzleama

Reaction score
17 with thinning hair/receding hairline

Ok, so to start of, I will kinda give the back story.

I'm a 17 year old black male, I started noticing my hair lose around 16 smh

I believe that this is definitely due to texturizing my hair at a young age.

At around 14 my father introduced me to the S-Curl Texturizer by Lusters, and at the time it was completely innocent. It made my hair look nice (loosed my curls) and I used it quite often, I used it regularly for about 2 years, and at the peak I used it once every 2 weeks, which was my worst mistake. I would sometimes (uncommonly) burn my scalp but i was young and dumb so I didn't care. (I actually scabbed this one time, this burning caused obvious damage to my hair follicles):badmood:
:dropmouth:

(I had one barber, the best and my all time favorite who I was faithful to, but he traveled back to his hometown and stayed, so I had to switch barbers multiple times. Some got my hairline right, some ****ed it up tremendously. This also factored to it smh.)

My hair around 15-16 years old was always long, so the balding wasn't easy to see, and my hair style was looking good so I could care less. At around 16 and 3 quarters I cut my hair and that's when I started to really notice. The crown of my head started to bald a bit, but still wasn't noticeable. I was still in denial.
Then I started noticing that my hairline was a father back then when I was younger, and that's when it started to worry me. The hair on my hairline was curly so the thinning didn't really catch my eye, but when I cut it lower that's when I started to notice. Now the corners of my hairline and thinning, and the center.

I am not exactly a 1 on the norwood scale, hairline is still straight, and I think I'll prolly be a 1 or maybe a 2 by 23 :dunno:, and that worries me. My hair is starting to thin on the top on my head too. I've always had a big forehead but I can see that my hair is going back. My side burns are totally thick and intact but my hair barely grows over my hairline when I let it grow smh.

Some things I wana know are...

• What are the best treatments/what treatments have shown to be the most successful across the forum
  • some homemade regimes that have shown real success
  • diets that help?
  • some recommended supplements

I want to see my dermatologist before I go college and start treatment immediately, this loss of hair has kind of dented my self esteem.

alexpie2

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Most reliable treatment is finasteride (general name). The brand name is called propecia. It has a high success rate of stopping hairloss, but a low success rate of regrowing lost hair. It might be hard for you to obtain due to you being 17. Minoxidil is another drug that you should look into. It can regrow hair; however, you need to be committed to this drug because when you stop using it, all the hair that you gained from it will be lost. If you do decide to take finasteride, make sure you read on the side effects it may cause. Even though side effects of the drug are very rare, I refrain from using finasteride due to the extremity of the sides effects.

2. Check your hormones/possible deficiencies. Tests that can detect biotin, zinc, thyroid hormones, testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, and cortisol levels may be useful. Find out if you have any allergies such as fungal allergies. Many people may experience candida overgrowth, which has the potential to cause hairloss.

3. Get adequate sleep and make sure your stress levels are not high.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It seems you are at the very early stages of hairloss. I guarantee you that hardly anyone notices it but yourself. What ever you do, do not let this hairloss hurt your self esteem at this point because no one can notice it. Seek help immediately on the issue through a dermatologist and get everything under control.

Last edited:

tizzleama

Reaction score
1. Most reliable treatment is finasteride (general name). The brand name is called propecia. It has a high success rate of stopping hairloss, but a low success rate of regrowing lost hair. It might be hard for you to obtain due to you being 17. Minoxidil is another drug that you should look into. It can regrow hair; however, you need to be committed to this drug because when you stop using it, all the hair that you gained from it will be lost. If you do decide to take finasteride, make sure you read on the side effects it may cause. Even though side effects of the drug are very rare, I refrain from using finasteride due to the extremity of the sides effects.

2. Check your hormones/possible deficiencies. Tests that can detect biotin, zinc, thyroid hormones, testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, and cortisol levels may be useful. Find out if you have any allergies such as fungal allergies. Many people may experience candida overgrowth, which has the potential to cause hairloss.

3. Get adequate sleep and make sure your stress levels are not high.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It seems you are at the very early stages of hairloss. I guarantee you that hardly anyone notices it but yourself. What ever you do, do not let this hairloss hurt your self esteem at this point because no one can notice it. Seek help immediately on the issue through a dermatologist and get everything under control.

bless up :notworthy

AussieM

Reaction score
I have been on Propecia for two years and it has helped greatly! If you get sides just cut down to half a pill a day like I did, and the sides will hopefully go away :D

Have a read of my profile story to see the treatments I have used. http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/AussieM

From what I have read, supplements do not do a great deal. Propecia and a good shampoo set like Nirozal or Regenepure is your best bet. Minoxidil is a risky one to try. I take biotin and MSM and Omega 3 oil but would not bother with any other supplements.

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
Thining Or just short hair

I just buzzcuted my hair for remove damage hair. Is it normal to se the Crown just smal spot its not baldspot but i can se trough i have like 2.5-3.0 cm in lenght is it normal to se some scalp not much but a small area here and there

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
I just buzzcuted my hair for remove damage hair. Is it normal to se the Crown just smal spot its not baldspot but i can se trough i have like 2.5-3.0 cm in lenght is it normal to se some scalp not much but a small area here and there
Everyone's different - pictures would help. That sounds a little bit like diffuse thinning.