Help interpreting scalp biopsy??

weaves

Reaction score
Im 21 years old and i just got the results of my 2nd scalp biopsy.. My first one back in march revealed that my hair loss was due to DERMOTOPHYTES (fungus) of which i went on lamisil for 3 weeks. My hair loss has continued with a general thinning around my whole scalp, not any of the norwood or other models. My 2nd biopsy came back and showed no fungus and just simply read, " Nonscarring alopecia consitent with androgenic alopecia, Microscopic analysis shows terminal hair follicles are decreased in size and number".

My question is this analysis concrete that i have male pattern baldness. I have no genetic history and i was previously under the impression that the fungus was the cause of this. Could a fungus 6 months ago have this effect or is this now definitively male pattern baldness. Im havin a hard time believing it because of the 1st biopsy results, my family history as well as i took accutane for 2 weeks 1 year ago. In one year i lost about half of my hair i keep reading that male pattern baldness takes time to onset. Are there any other tests i can get ran,, Like some kind of Testosterone levels or anything.

Deaner

Reaction score
It would sound to me like the effects of diffuse thinning as a result of androgenic alopecia are what he's described, and it would sound to me like concrete evidence that you've got Male Pattern Baldness, but without the recession, just diffuse thinning.

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
weaves,
Did you go to the dermatology department to get your scalp biopsy done? And once you got a scalp biopsy how long did it take to get the results?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, these people have just made a buck off of you.

The same conclusion can be obtained by simply looking at your hair, and looking at the hair of your relatives.

HairLossTalk.com