Help: My Story As A Teen Experiencing male pattern baldness, Please Read

Ken10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here we go. My story begins in 2015, 18 years old, senior year of high school. I'd grown my hair out, and I had noticed it starting to shed. I was a little concerned about balding, since my dad and both grandpas are/were bald from a relatively early age (mid-late 20's). Didn't think much of it though. Fast forward to 6 months later, mid freshman year of college. Hair had not stopped falling out. Every single time I put my hand through my hair, I'd find a couple hairs in my hand. This happened without fail every single time. I was genuinely concerned that I was losing my hair, and tried to make big changes in my lifestyle (diet, sleep, etc). For about a month the shedding stopped, but then it started up again.

Over this past summer, I was getting really concerned about it so I went to a dermatologist, who told me that I didn't have too much to worry about, that either I'm just shedding or it's very early signs of balding, and that maybe finasteride was something to think about. I was relieved by that, but the hair just kept falling out. When I was getting a haircut, the lady pointed the thinning out to me, and said it was because I have sensitive skin and terrible dandruff (completely true), and that my follicles were being clogged by too much oil (or something like that). Gave me some nioxin conditioner to put in my hair after getting out of the shower.

Now I'm currently 19 in my sophomore year of college. Hair has not stopped falling out and is still doing so. Currently not on any treatment, but I don't know when is the right time to start. In terms of what my hair looks like, it's not apparent from a distance, but looking at my hair up close, it's pretty obvious what's going on.

However, it's not the classic type of male pattern baldness I've seen on the forums. For me, it's almost exclusively been the top/middle of my hair that's been thinning, and not really much on the sides. I think my hairline is still pretty straight, but most of the damage is in the middle, with my scalp very observable. Many of you know the feeling, but I'm incredibly scared. I can't shower on a daily basis (even though I really should because of my scalp/dandruff) because it scares me to see all that hair falling out. I'm too scared to get a haircut because I'm afraid that without long hair, my scalp will be exposed and everyone will see that I'm balding. At this point I just don't know what to do. I'm optimistic that I have a little more time left before it becomes blatantly obvious, but I don't know specifically how much more time I have left. What do you guys think? Should I get on finasteride? the big three? You think Nizoral might help with my scalp? Am I balding? Thinning? Shedding? What's going on here, and what do I do about it? Curious to hear your opinions. I hope to take action soon. Cheers.

PHOTOS:

Dry hair: No flash
14731393_1291581180861820_2878790037747275603_n.jpg

Dry Hair w/ flash (1)
14680755_1291581534195118_6208969049650093857_n.jpg

Dry Hair w/ flash (2)
14570826_1291586604194611_4442721903708169532_o.jpg

Wet hair (1)
14680513_1291581407528464_805487470823869930_n.jpg

Wet hair (2)
14713800_1291581484195123_6014157381061553718_n.jpg

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed this type of thinning is not the most usual of all, because it does not begin from temples or crown, but from the "forelock", which is what people are generally left with.

As for finasteride, it is advisable ONLY when your physical development is complete. At 19, you may still be growing. I would wait for 21. Until then, though, I would probably try out minoxidil and nizoral (the other "big two" of the "big three").

Ken10

My Regimen
Reaction score
As for finasteride, it is advisable ONLY when your physical development is complete. At 19, you may still be growing. I would wait for 21. Until then, though, I would probably try out minoxidil and nizoral (the other "big two" of the "big three").

I'm worried that the minoxidil will cause me to shed excessively, and part of my problem is that I'm shedding thick hairs that don't seem to be growing back. Should I still go through with it?