Help! This shed won't stop!!!!!!

The Dude

Reaction score
I'm going through a horrible shed right now. It's been really kicking in for the last 6 weeks or so. I need to know when this will stop.

I was on minoxidil for about 2 years with good results, then I went on propecia about 6 months ago and quit the minoxidil. About 2-3 months ago I started to thin back a bit. The last few weeks it has gotten ridiculous. About 3-4 weeks ago I went back on the minoxidil. I also started Nizoral AND Folligen every few days. It's only getting worse. Today I reached my limit after losing well over 100 hairs in the shower. It's my temples and front hairline.

How long will this sh*t last? Somebody make it stop. Also, I'm using 5% minoxidil 2x per day, and my scalp is flaking off like crazy. I upped the Nizoral to every day or every other day with no effect on the dandruff. (feels good though). Since I started using Folligen last week, the flakes are now green. Real pretty. I'm so hating it right now.

Reaction score
Continue with the folligen. I've used the spray for about two months now and minoxidil doesn't even tingle on my scalp anymore. I don't even know it's there.

As far as shedding goes all I can say is ride it out. I'm sure your inconsistancy with minoxidil is playing a part in it. If the shedding is starting to show go buy some Toppik and use it for acouple months till thnigs start to thicken up.

Good luck :wink:

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Dude, mistake number one is to ever turkey a product that you been getting good result with when start a better product like Propecia. Although Propecia is better for hair than Rogaine. The hair that you loss is from Rogaine keeping it from falling out. Your getting a shock to your hair and hair will fall out. You should of lower the doses of Rogaine over time and then stop using it. So that the body will get less depend on Rogaine when using Propecia. The shedding should stop soon but dont know when. You may want to get back on Rogaine for now and do the big 3. Did your doctor told you to quit Rogaine when he give your a prescriblation of Propecia? That what happen to a lot of people that switch from Rogaine to Propecia.

The Dude

Reaction score
yeah, I went back on the minoxidil about 3-4 weeks ago to try to stop the loss of hair. It only made it worse at the moment. Just starting to see a little bit of new hair growth, but so much is falling out, it won't matter much right now. I ordered the topik today, and I hope it helps get me through this shed. I know I'll have a nice head of hair in 6-12 months, but I'm afraid of continuing this worst-ever shed until then. I just hope it lets up soon.

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't be fooled into thinking you have to get 'used' to the Folligen. This is bs, theres lots of people who find Folligen causes shedding and is no good for them.

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
I really can't see folligen causing the shed. Most people say it has been great for their scalp after the initial week or two during which it may cause a bit of itch. I am sure it is the dropping of minoxidil that has caused the shed. I think all minoxidil induced growth is falling out again. Some people think they are able to keep the hair that they have grown on minoxidil by switching to propecia. This is very unlikely. You've got to be a slave of minoxidil for the rest of your life or basically start again on propecia, which will never be a good a growth stimulant as minoxidil.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
The Dude said:
Also, I'm using 5% minoxidil 2x per day, and my scalp is flaking off like crazy. I upped the Nizoral to every day or every other day with no effect on the dandruff. (feels good though). Since I started using Folligen last week, the flakes are now green. Real pretty. I'm so hating it right now.

Are they these big white (now green) flakes a bit like a second skin? If so try reducing the amount of minoxidil you put on as the scalp can only absorb so much. As long as your scalp is getting that beautiful shiny look that minoxidil provides then it should have enough on it to be effective.

Cassin

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
The Dude said:
Also, I'm using 5% minoxidil 2x per day, and my scalp is flaking off like crazy. I upped the Nizoral to every day or every other day with no effect on the dandruff. (feels good though). Since I started using Folligen last week, the flakes are now green. Real pretty. I'm so hating it right now.

Are they these big white (now green) flakes a bit like a second skin? If so try reducing the amount of minoxidil you put on as the scalp can only absorb so much. As long as your scalp is getting that beautiful shiny look that minoxidil provides then it should have enough on it to be effective.

Exactly. You have buildup. Also you need to let shampoo sit on your scalp longer to break it up.I bet your absorbtion is cut way down right now due to this.

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin wrote:
Folligen is very very strong. If you are sensitive and want something more gentle, consider Americen Crew or Tricomin.

It is very strong in what sense. There seem to be a lot of people here singing its praise.

The Dude

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I was overdoing the minoxidil, trying to grow a full head of hair in a day. Should I just use a few sprays once a day for awhile until the flaking stops?

The Dude

Reaction score
I know it's hard to say with all the jumbling of regimen I've done, but could this shed be in part due to the fact that I started taking Propecia 6 months ago as of this week? Could it be that all the hairs are synchronized? Would they all fall out between month 5 and 6 on finasteride?

Cassin

Reaction score
absmon said:
It is very strong in what sense. There seem to be a lot of people here singing its praise.

For some people with an extremely Sensitive scalp like mine, Folligen can cause a sting. For me it went away but for some it never does. Folligen is a great product, but with every single product out there, there will be a few who can't handle it for whatever reason.

As far as Copper-Peptides go, there is little question Folligen it is the highest % of CP's. For some that is too much. If it wasn't so F-ING green I would probably still be using it.

But most people never have a problem with it as it really is a very good product. I just personally find it cosmetically unacceptable.

By the way absmon, see the top right of the dialogue box? See where it says "Quote?" Click that to auto quote whoever has written something you want to quote on the forum. It will quote their name and what they typed. :quote: