Help, Very Anxious About Possible male pattern baldness. Cowlick Crown?

ColeH

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here and it's a lengthy one, hope you bear with me.

Ever since I was a teenager I was afraid of losing my hair - my Dad is bald but the men on my Mother's side all have their hair, ultimately I always chalked it up to 50/50. I'm now 22 and I'm really paranoid that I may have started balding, or at least thinning. If it means anything at all my hair looks and feels a lot like all the men on my mother's side, my dad had very thin, straw-like hair, and that is not me. Anyways, my Mom has told me ever since I was a kid that I've had a "funny crown" (i.e. this annoying Cowlick). I can't tell if this is to be blamed or not, I've included a lot of photos and videos.

First wet (taken today in direct light):

c0GgIhK.jpg

3Coksmr.jpg

pjI2TQH.jpg

As you can see, my scalp is sort of visible from above. I can't remember if it's always been like this or not, regardless, I feel like a video will serve our purposes better:
*the forum wouldn't let me post the link, just hit backspace between https: and the // :)

https: //drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bBsFsIKQ3cdThWNkpMUDdYcGs/view?usp=sharing

I have another video here. Luckily, 2 years ago i was also paranoid about balding so I took this little video for future reference. The first part was 2014, the second part was today.

https: //drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bBsFsIKQ3cRHY1c25ndWVmUjQ/view?usp=sharing

I really don't know guys, I think my hair has always been like this but I am very paranoid. IF this is male pattern baldness, how far along is it? What are my options (i'm really afraid of side effects)? How likely am I going to be able to keep all my hair? (this is very important to me). Sorry for the super long post with all this info, just very paranoid.

Cheers.

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it looks like there is miniaturization there, which is why the hair there is losing its pigment. From the photo, the front looks good. This is a positive as treatment is more effective for crown loss.

ColeH

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it looks like there is miniaturization there, which is why the hair there is losing its pigment. From the photo, the front looks good. This is a positive as treatment is more effective for crown loss.

Are you basing this completely off of the photo or the videos as well? It was under direct light on the photo

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you basing this completely off of the photo or the videos as well? It was under direct light on the photo
Just watched the video, and from that I would not suspect that you're balding. It might be wise to see a dermatologist and get a miniaturization analysis done.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should go to a Derm to test you ..tell Dr about your family history with Dad and you just want to make sure so if a problem you catch it early.
Even if they find NOTHING go again in a year to compare to base line pics just to be sure.

Some people do really, really well catching it early and using drugs and or minoxidil.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks normal for a wet crown. Post dry hair pics.

ColeH

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should go to a Derm to test you ..tell Dr about your family history with Dad and you just want to make sure so if a problem you catch it early.
Even if they find NOTHING go again in a year to compare to base line pics just to be sure.

Some people do really, really well catching it early and using drugs and or minoxidil.

Do you think I have anything to worry about in terms of what I show in the videos? I really can't tel if its a natural crown or not. Regardless, I'm making an appointment with my Derm.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think I have anything to worry about in terms of what I show in the videos? I really can't tel if its a natural crown or not. Regardless, I'm making an appointment with my Derm.

sorry i can't figure out the links

i did not look like my hair was thinning for very long time--every time i went to a D r they thought i was nuts.
Im a woman but my Father has a very full thick head of hair and i inherited his luxurious hair.
My Mother on other hand had terrible hair and very fine, barely grew and she had hair loss issues
No one ever assumed i would have hair loss because my hair looked like a hair model.
Now it is noticeable to DR (most people still dont notice thankfully from way i style my hair)
SO when you wrote about your parents it reminded me of myself a bit.

You probably have nothing to worry about but go get it checked out...and stay on top of it over the years to make sure.
I don't mean this to make you nervous.
does not mean you have to do all the medications etc.

see what DR says then come back and touch base here.

ColeH

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry i can't figure out the links

i did not look like my hair was thinning for very long time--every time i went to a D r they thought i was nuts.
Im a woman but my Father has a very full thick head of hair and i inherited his luxurious hair.
My Mother on other hand had terrible hair and very fine, barely grew and she had hair loss issues
No one ever assumed i would have hair loss because my hair looked like a hair model.
Now it is noticeable to DR (most people still dont notice thankfully from way i style my hair)
SO when you wrote about your parents it reminded me of myself a bit.

You probably have nothing to worry about but go get it checked out...and stay on top of it over the years to make sure.
I don't mean this to make you nervous.
does not mean you have to do all the medications etc.

see what DR says then come back and touch base here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bBsFsIKQ3cdThWNkpMUDdYcGs/view?usp=sharing

^ hopefully that works. i'll deff keep this thread active. how drastic do you think it is? should i schedule an appointment asap?

shookwun

Reaction score
Might be the start of miniaturization.

Thats not a cow lick.

Hair starting to loosing pigmentation, annd getting thinner.. classic signs of thinning

A lot of crown thinners in the early stages develop the X pattern look.

I would start applying minioxidil to your crown. re-asses in 1-2 months to see if it made a difference.

Last edited:

ColeH

My Regimen
Reaction score
Might be the start of miniaturization.

Thats not a cow lick.

Hair starting to loosing pigmentation, annd getting thicker... classic signs of thinning

A lot of crown thinners in the early stages develop the X pattern look.

I would start applying minioxidil to your crown. re-asses in 1-2 months to see if it made a difference.

Did you watch the video or are you judging from the photo alone? I realize that the photos aren't taken very well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bBsFsIKQ3cdThWNkpMUDdYcGs/view?usp=sharing

shookwun

Reaction score
It's debatable. I would say to be on the safe side, start applying minioxidil every day then re-assess yourself a couple months down the road.

No need to jump on finasteride at this point.