Hey, 22 year old here needs advice, medical condition and hair loss.

tetris1990

Reaction score
Tell my story, ok I will give it ago:

I will try and keep it some what brief, I am a 22 year old, and I am pretty sure I have been losing hair, or at least receding since I was about 17...Also have a condition called Rheumatoid arthritis, or thats what the Doctor things I have got...

I am not that convinced it is just that but I have been on medication for it, since 2010 : firstly with a cancer drug called methatrixate; which made my hair fall out very quickly and was the first time really noticed my hairline...And hair loss, but I am sure I had it before, the drug just sped it up, I think. Then they moved me to a different drug called Humira...

I decided to try and do something about my hair, so I turned to the internet, and found many forums like this, for better or worse, they have helped. And I thought I should get involved, I might find some people who can help me, or who I can help in some way.

I have some pictures and just wanted to know If I can get a heads up on how bad it is, or where I am on a Norwood scale.

The fun bit : I started using Propecia in june, and It made me shed more then stopped the shedding around july. Not sure if It is better now or worse to be honest. But since the shedding stopped I got brave and tried rogaine form on the 30th of july , and the shedding started again after about a five day...Still going on at the same rate...Any ideas on what to expect when it will stop, is it worth it?

Oh and I have been taking a few vitamins as well not for hair growth but due to the other drug. Oh and alpecin double effect, not really sure if it helps, but it seems to make my hair grow longer quicker...

Sorry the pictures are not great...

2010 2010 (2).jpgchristmas 2012christmas 2012.jpgcurrentcurrent 0.jpgcurrentcurrent 3.jpgcurrentcurrent 4.jpgcurrentcurrent 5.jpgcurrentcurrent crown 1.jpgjuly 2012july 2012.jpg

Sorry they are a bit rubbish, and I hope this thread is posted in the right place, apologies if it is not...Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, or an idea on what Norwood I am...

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
This section of the forums isn't too active. Good job with starting Propecia. To me it looks like you are around a Norwood 2. Propecia doesn't necessarily grow hair back, but it does slow or stop it. With Rogaine a shed is also to be expected. People get discouraged by this shedding and stop the treatment. YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING. I'd say keep taking pictures like the second set you posted every 3 months or so. Wait at least until this time next year to evaluate if the treatments are working. Good luck buddy!

- - - Updated - - -

You should take another picture like the 5th one in the first set.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's for sure not any worse at all. The front bit looks a little fuller could be because it's longer. Where did you get Propecia? Script?

tetris1990

Reaction score
Inhouse...Question, i have a thin patch where my hair parts at the front...Is that just due to the parting or something else...you can see it in my 3rd picture?

tetris1990

Reaction score
20131002_133040.jpg20131002_133046.jpg20131002_133056.jpg20131002_133150.jpg20131002_133506.jpg20131002_133525.jpg20131002_133540.jpg Just an update, does anyone think its working on my hair line? I think I have little hairs growing and becoming longer?

People have been saying the foam is not as good as liquid would it be an idea to swap to a liquid version or just keep going with the foam....Cost is not an issue....

tetris1990

Reaction score
Had to drop finasteride due to side...In early september...Might be having a shed...lost 50 hairs in shower yesterday is that alot or not that bad? Any recomendation on if i should replace finasteride with something else....I noticed after stopping finasteride; I got an itchy scalp...?

20131013_001334.jpg

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
How much finasteride were you taking and at what frequency? Looks like another month or so and
You mightve regrown that thinning area lol, but obviously side effects are not wanted,
Please elaborate on what you experienced

The itching is due to your dht levels raising in the scalp

tetris1990

Reaction score
Something strange has happened, the finasteride sides have been getting better, every day its a bit better...But what is strange is ; I have ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis... And these together and separately cause something called hyperhidrosis which I had very extremly on my underarms and hands...And for some reason this has completely stopped...Which to me is a massive plus; anyone shed any light on why this may have been?:)

tetris1990

Reaction score
An update, I think there is some progress...I though I would ask for opinions as I am always looking for the worst. :/20140124_231517.jpg20140124_231642.jpg20140124_231646.jpg20140124_231650.jpg20140124_231754.jpg

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think your hairline is filling in . . congrats. you are back on finasteride right? anyway best of luck for future hair :D

tetris1990

Reaction score
No finasteride, and only once a day minoxidil since early September...Just a keto shampoo every day or every other when I remember, silica,biotin and a multi vitamin, mostly for the rheumatoid though.

I am going to give finasteride another go, that or maybe try saw palmetto and beta stirosol. Not sure yet ; just wanting to see how well minoxidil does on its own at least until February. That or I might give the liquid minoxidil ago does anyone have a view on whats better?

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
okay. . . well thats impressive for minoxidil only as far as i am concerned, yeah give finasteride another try at lower dosage, there is this desmond guy on bald truth talk and he was doing fine on .25 mg twice a week, maybe he still is , havent checked. How bad were your sides? we are of same age and almost the same recession, gonna give finasteride a try soon. check my story if you can. cheers.