Hi I'm 25 and here is the story so far. Please read

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
Hi Im RapidRetreat I had spent the better part of last night typing up a huge novel about my hair loss and my story but when I went to post it the site logged me out and I lost it all!! That was a serious bummer because I had poured my heart into the post. Anyways you might be lucky you guys will get the short version. Im a 25 year old male and both my grandfathers are horse shoe shape bald although my father still has a full thick head of hair and he is 55 and my older brother still too, I have always been the black sheep if you like of the family I look nothing like either of them and have always been worried I would lose my hair ever since being a little boy asking my mother why my grandfathers had none! I have been obsessed with hairloss since I was little but since I was 18 I noticed my unbelievably thick curly head of hair was thinning out slowly, about 1.5 years ago to cut a long story short I had been using minoxidil for 6 months but nothing was happening except itchy dry scalp and more shedding sto I gave that up went to see a doctor and they told me it was fine like most docs do when they don't understand the issue you are having, I ended up ordering propecia and have been using that for over a year with no side effects at all although I am sure it only made my issue gather speed, everyone hears that shedding is a good thing on the drug but I was majorly shedding, about two months ago I was on propecia for around 14 months and was beginning to get a severely itchy scalp and very oily and pimply skin although I did have acne before that it had got a LITTLE worse. I ended up making the switch to dutasteride and also purchased a proper laser helmet with 300 diodes from OMG and have been using that for three weeks as per his instructions. My hair atm feels awful and very oily and my scalp gets that weird tingly itchy burning feeling so many people have complained about and I fear I have done nothing by taking propecia and dutasteride other than speed my loss up. Is this hypersensitivity a real thing? if so should I slowly drop my dosage and see what happens? I am really at a loss it has been 16 months of these hardcore drugs and I am still losing more and more hair everyday. When I started I was maybe a nw1 with thick hair not I would say I have lost 60% or more density and pushed it to a nw2. I was on 1mg of Propecia a day then moved to 0.5 dutasteride with the odd Propecia pill a day as I didn't want to let go as it were to propecia. Now here I am a broken man wondering what the hell he has to do to go back in time!? I use the laser helmet 3 times a week for 20 minutes as instructed and have recently upscaled my intake of dutasteride to 1 mg a day but the itchy feeling seems worse and my whole frontal area is thin and weak now. I also use nizarol nearly 3-4 times a week and my hair is still oily athough it makes my hair feel great the oil comes back with a vengeance the next day! If anyone has any information please please help and please ask as many questions as you can we are all here for one reason and that is to banish this terrible disease we are all suffering from and I do feel your pain. Again Sorry for the jumbled post but I had a well written novel but lost it and am in a bit of a rush and really had to write down what I was feeling and thinking in the hopes that when I get home there would be some answer! Thanks guys

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Regarding the itchy tingly burning sensation on scalp, I get that too and sometimes it get just too painful to bear and makes me want to cry! but come to think about it, I have had that sensation way before the treatments. I suspect it is because either 1) serborrheic dermatitis. I have them on my face and body as well or 2) DHT attacks hair follicle which makes your scalp more sensitive. I am now using a natual organic conditioner to wash my hair instead of shampoos with harsh chemicals in them. Nizoral only once or twice a week instead of three to four times a week. I have also noticed that the days I am not using hair products like wax or gel, I don't get that burning sensation as much.

Sorry this is not much of help but good luck, mate!

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
thanks for the reply talmoode! was kind of beginning to lose hope of any help! Which conditioner do you use? I know that feeling it makes me feel like there is no hope, everything I do doesn't seem to get rid of that scalp feeling. I have just acquired caffeine shampoo also and am going to try that, I am on the verge of shaving it all off and it doesn't even look that bad! I worry about it endlessly all day and every breeze that goes through my scalp gets me thinking that it is blowing more and more hair off of my head. From extensive reading on the web I think I have hyperandrogenicity if that's how its spelt and from what I can tell there doesn't seem to be a hope in hell of me keeping my locks, I am currently trying the kitchen sink approach and trying every sup that I can find and shampoos, I know minoxidil will be too hard to commit to, currently I have dropped my dosage to 0.5mg dutasteride every other and 0.75mg of finasteride every day along with a few other SUP's like MSM and zinc. I am really at a loss and anyone with any ideas would be most welcome to put there 2 cents in. THANKS

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel. I have been going through the same thing. If it's any consolation, I am in the same boat and it seems like you are doing everything you can do! the conditioner I am using is just some random healthfood store brand. No harsh chemicals in them. Just organic/natural oils. I am not using a shampoo at all (except Nizoral), just washing my hair with the conditioner.
I have been taking Zinc and Milk Thistle as well. I was told that they might help with skin inflammtation but it has been only 4 weeks so I am not sure yet if these have helped at all. Also see if you have thyroid problems or diabetes. I am no expert or anything but this may be the cause of your scalp pain. I am waiting for my second Thyroid test to be done since my GP told me that my first blood test for Thyroid came back abnormal. Hope you feel better and good luck, mate!

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
yeah I may have to go back to my doctor this pain is really getting upscaled at the moment. I just had a few beers before and was soo sick of scratching and rubbing my scalp I ripped out my shaver, clipped a number 6 to it and shaved it all off.... still haven't had a good look at it though it looked OK when I was doing it but I kept my distance from the full body mirror lol. I was at a health food shop today and bought an array of oils to rub on my scalp including aloe, coconut oil, pawpaw and lavender oil and had rubbed that on and left in for 2 hours it seems to have helped although I washed it off then shaved my head LOL. This balding business is truly a curse! I am only 25 :(

- - - Updated - - -

Hey and thanks for replying too mate even though it is an easy gesture it is always nice to know we are all not going through this alone in some way so cheers

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:) not a problem at all! Hope your hair and scalp are doing good!

swingster

Reaction score
i'm also suffering from the same situation you are n exactly have the same terrible itching to the point of pulling my hair sometimes and extremely oily scalp, when i press my finger on my scalp (as if i smeared a oil from a plate)

One tip i would like to give you,
* the reason your scalp becomes oily no matter how many times you wash with shampoo is because the shampoo affects the scalp oil barrier balance no matter what shampoo you use
if you break the balance the oil layer forms immediately within a day in rebound to that shock,
* altier you can follow this, though you cannot completely skip the shampooing part ,as skipping will also lead to severe itching eventually hair loss because of itching, you can limit the shampooing to 2 times a week, like sunday and wednesday, and wash your hair with plain water without any soap or shampoo in case you feel oily the remaining days, it has actually reduced my oil production i've seen many times, than shampooing whenever i feel oil dripping on my scalp

also you should know that seborrheic dermatits is not a disease ,it just means something is not right with our body, it is just a symptom , thats why it cant be cured , the root disease is something else, so if you cure the underlying root disease this problem solves automatically. you'll have to study that properly.

other tips to check;
stress
sleep 8hrs
diet (no spicy,non veg,milk,wheat)
daily walking exercise
proper digestion in the key to all , n the medicine to all the disease

try these if you feel better then good,
even i have started to follow these strictly n in the process, Good Luck mate!