Himynameisjoustjohn's Story - ( 27 / I need some advice...)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just to give you a brief synopsis, I'm an African-American male, just noticed my hairloss at 26, I am 27 now. I think I have slight thinning in the crown area, but what bothers me most is my hairline, which has pretty much been straight my whole life. I went through a horrible shed almost a year ago and the type of pattern that developed in my hairline area was unsightly; it was reminiscent of some horns on my head (weird description?). So I got my barber and close friend to "shape it up" and make it straight again, which encompassed him slightly cutting into my hairline.

At the moment, I still resemble a high NW1 with slight crown thinning, I guess. It's hard for me to judge, because my family and moreso, my friends, who are very candid and would tell me in a minute if something is wrong, say that it doesn't look like I'm losing anywhere at all. When I look at old pictures, my hairline seems to look the same as it did before I cut into it to shape it up, so maybe I didn't lose as much as I thought I did, I don't know. I've had 2 consultations with Hair Docs, 1 with Dr. Bernstein and 1 with Dr. Feller, both of whom turned me down because they said that visibly there is nothing wrong with my hair. Dr. Feller told me to save my hair in the back and come visit him again when I really had a problem, he said that to perform surgery on me now would be "unethical." Still just knowing it's going makes me extremely anxious and apprehensive. Dr. Bernstein told me that I won't be "very bald" and that I probably wouldn't need a transplant until I'm an old man. I think he was just being "nice" or something, how can someone make that type of prediction? I went to Dr. Bernstein initially because a friend of mine in med school had went to see him and described him as being very blunt and candid. Anyway, both docs seemed to be very amicable and compassionate individuals, I suppose.

Anyway, on to my dilemma, I've been on rogaine foam 5% and finasteride for 10 months. My skin flakes really badly on that rogaine and peels too. It was worse when I tried the liquid; the crap seemed to calcify on my scalp or something. Anyway, my hair hasn't changed perceptibly and surprisingly for going on a year. I informed Dr. Feller of my problem and he told me it was the finasteride that was probably maintaining my hair and not the rogaine. He basically said in most cases, rogaine sucks and he refrains from advising patients to get on it. I've only been applying it to the hairline and he said if it was working, my hairline would be thicker than the rest of my hair, but he stated my hair had a uniform appearance. He basically told me to discontinue Rogaine as it was probably causing me to lose hair.

I am cognizant of the minoxidil dependency issues and that's why I am scared as hell to get off of it. Are there any alternatives to both of the rogaine products? At this point I just want to maintain what I have....Has anyone successfully got off of the minoxidil without experiencing a shed? So far I've been off of the crap for 4 days and my wife says that my hair looks healthier, it feels better too, no itching or f'in flakes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Yeah I tried Rogaine foam and I get the same chronic itching and peeling, but it just isn't as bad as with the liquid; with the liquid, I think I was getting scabs and this was after just a few days of application. What Minoxidil formulations are PPG free and where can I get them? Also has anyone successfully came off of Minoxidil without a shed?

Thanks for your reply by the way.

Peace.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
himynameisjustjohn said:
At the moment, I still resemble a high NW1.

himynameisjustjohn said:
Anyway, my hair hasn't changed perceptibly and surprisingly for going on a year.

himynameisjustjohn said:
My family and moreso, my friends, say that it doesn't look like I'm losing anywhere at all.

himynameisjustjohn said:
Dr. Feller told me to save my hair in the back and come visit him again when I really had a problem, he said that to perform surgery on me now would be "unethical."

So what exactly is the damn problem here?

If the flaking really bothers you get off the foam, but finasteride (in my experience) doesn't work as well on the front, so if you can tolerate it, keep the minoxidil as that will help maintain in the front.

In the meantime stop posting here, you're doing all you can.

Reaction score
Dude, why under any circumstances would you tell me that I should stop posting here? Although to some extent, I can appreciate your advice because since I started losing, researching has rapidly evolved into a somewhat unhealthy obsession, I thought that this place was for support! Although noone can tell that I'm losing it (at the moment), I am! My wife was right there when it looked like utter sh*t and even stated that it looked "unnatural", but after my barber shaped it up, she seems to be in denial and thinks that it will stop and stay where it is right now for a long time, but as horrible as the front looked when I was shedding heavily, I doubt it; it wasn't just the corners, it was the whole front. Actually wish I had pictures of that period to show everyone. Part of the reason my friends can't tell is because I got my barber to cut the stray hairs off of my hairline and the sad thing is alot of those solitary hairs were still thick, it seems as though I have one of those "A patterns" with crown thinning, maybe. Also, it seems as though African American males typically are less concerned with hairloss than some other people (not the case with me), so I think this contributes to why my family and alot of my friends view my situation as not being so severe. In addition to this, my hair caliber is exceedingly thick and curly, even when it seems to be thinning, I guess it still looks like it isn't probably to the naked eye. The truth is, I finally posted on this site because of my quandary, which involves my excessive flaking/peeling and my not being aware of what the alternatives are to Rogaine brand minoxidil and my question was answered, so I will look into getting Dr. Lee's brand and see if my skin will tolerate it better.

Oh yeah, also male pattern baldness is rampant throughout both my mother and father's sides of the family....

But damn man, "stop posting here?" though?

PEACE....

Reaction score
Thanks finfighter. I contacted Dr. Lee via email to give him an overview of my situation and he stated that flaking and peeling cannot cause hairloss; however, when I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatis, which is characterized by skin flaking and peeling. It was located right above my sideburn and caused a bald patch/line right by it (this was a traumatic period for me as you can imagine). A dermatologist gave me a cortisone injection and instructed me to use 2% minoxidil liquid once a day and miraculously, the hair grew back. I am going to provide Dr. Lee with a medical Hx and hopefully he can hook me up with a less potent dose of minoxidil? In the meantime, I called Bernstein, and he recommended that I try Women's Rogaine ( :gay: ) because it is a lower concentration (I think it's 2%). Hopefully, since a 2% dosage grew it back when I had the dermatitis, I'm hoping I can at least maintain my hairline on it while I wait to see what Dr. Lee says (even though I know dermatitis and male pattern baldness are two unrelated things).

Peace!

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
the reason why predicted you wouldn't lose much is because most men lose most of the hair they're going to lose between 18-30. if you're 27 with barely visible crown thinning, then that's a decent prediction to make. i mean, there's always exceptions (Andre Agassi), but you're not the exception until you prove otherwise. :)

i'm in much the same boat as you and was told as such by a derm, so just get on nizoral/finasteride, and whatever concentration of min you can handle and live your life.

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
i've heard the reasoning for it is DHT is highest right after puberty, and slowly tapers off as you age. so if DHT is going to impact your hair, it's likely to have the highest effect in your teenager/young adult years.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
dude you've visited 2 top hair transplant surgeons-dermatologists, and they both said that you have very minor problem and you would be fine. Which knows more than Dr Feller who saw you in person? I would take his advice. If minoxidil irritates your scalp, try Dr. Lee's PPG free minoxidil.

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice and support. I did the online consultation with Dr. Lee and ordered the 5% minoxidil without PPG. Hopefully it'll work out better. Been using the 2 % minoxidil sparingly, and have noticed less irritation, plus it doesn't leave flakiness along my hairline and it doesn't make my black hair look a greyish, white color, which is cool. I was off minoxidil altogether for like 5 days, but I think I might take a break from it for like a month and resume Tx afterwards.

PEACE.

Reaction score
Thanks finfighter! I have to say that I appreciate that you've been following what's going on with me and pretty much providing insight on everything! Although I have a lot of people who I can confide in in the "real world", it's cool that I can go on an internet forum and get support from people I don't even know, plus I know from experience that if you constantly bring up a topic with people who aren't necessarily going through a similar ordeal, it can become very annoying. I know about the whole catch up loss thing, maybe I'll just reduce the frequency of my applications a lil'; I just have this dark line across my hairline that has recently developed and I want it to go away, wife hasn't said anything about it yet, but I can see it and I don't know if it's a consequence of me getting "shape ups" too often or applying minoxidil along my freakin' hairline. This whole hairloss thing is wack, I swear, I remember when sometimes I would neglect to brush my hair and I would look alright back in the day, now it's like I have to comb it right or brush it right to make sure the recession/thinning isn't obvious (to me, mostly); now I gotta add more skin problems to the mix. Looking back on things, I wish I would've never started rogaine and just used propecia, less of a hassle and allows one to utilize the defense mechanism of denial if your hair loss hasn't progressed too much for a lil' while longer, but with minoxidil, to me it's too f'in tedious too apply. Oh well.........

Thanks for real for continuing to follow my story and offer advice