Hockeyguys's Story w/ pics 22 yrs old (need advice)

hockeyguy22

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'd really like your advice on what you think I should do. I've posted some pics so you guys can see where I'm coming from with regards to my hair loss and how bad you think it is/will get if left untreated. For a few months now I've noticed that my hair at the back, and a little at the front, has really started to thin out. This has been compounded with some pretty extreme shedding when I'm in the shower. It seems like every time I shower and wash my hair and look at my hands there's like 50 hairs each time. Also, my hair has gotten really itchy the past few months, something that I never had before. I don't know if that has something to do with the hair loss though.

Here's where I'm not sure what to do. I did in fact get a prescription for Proscar and started taking it. I took it for about a week but developed some side effects like watery semen, and it seemed like it was more difficult to get an erection, and that it was softer too, so I quickly stopped taking the pills. I tripped out and stopped taking the pills, and now with more hair loss occurring, I'm not sure whether I should have stayed on or not. Reading propeciahelp certainly didn't help, and it just scared me even more! Should I start taking Proscar again? I'm not sure if the side effects would have gone away after my body got used to the pill, but I stopped taking it after a week. Should I stay on it longer and see if the side effects go away this time after a few weeks use? I just don't know if it's worth it.

Anyways, your advice would be appreciated and here's some pics:

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Your crown is very similar to mine. I've been taking just the standard 1 mg Propecia pill with no problems... What dosage were you using on Proscar? You didn't take 5 mg daily did you? Some people experience more adverse effects at higher dosages, while some people don't experience any at more than 5 mg. It depends on the person.

If you were taking 5 mg, I'd suggest first let the finasteride clean out y our system; takes a week or two, then start taking a low dosage like 0.5 mg for a few days, see how your body likes it. If you still get sides, you might need to try something else.

hockeyguy22

Reaction score
monitoradiation said:
Your crown is very similar to mine. I've been taking just the standard 1 mg Propecia pill with no problems... What dosage were you using on Proscar? You didn't take 5 mg daily did you? Some people experience more adverse effects at higher dosages, while some people don't experience any at more than 5 mg. It depends on the person.

If you were taking 5 mg, I'd suggest first let the finasteride clean out y our system; takes a week or two, then start taking a low dosage like 0.5 mg for a few days, see how your body likes it. If you still get sides, you might need to try something else.

Thanks for the response. Haha no, I didn't take the 5 mg dosage. I cut the proscar tablets into 4 pieces, so it was 1.25 mg tablets. Maybe I should cut it even more to see how my body reacts to it? Like cut the tablets into 6 pieces or something?

How is your crown now, since you said it's similar to mine?

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, I've just started with standard Propecia about a month ago... So unfortunately, no difference yet. I'm seeing some thinner hair fall out and I'm hoping its finasteride doing what its supposed to be doing; I'm also using Nizoral (2% ketaconazole) shampoo every 3 days and rotate it with the T-gel 1% coal tar and the Body Shop shampoo with Piroctone Olamine. I'm also taking a LOT of other things for general health so who knows what it's doing. But I've noticed that my hair "seems" a tad thicker now and hope it'll translate to some overall growth at the crown. My hairline hasn't be affected by hairloss yet.

So I guess my advice to you is still the same; if finasteride doesn't work out for you, try the Nizoral shampoo. It's in the Big 3 for a reason, some people have seen gains from it... If you don't benefit from that either, you might have to do a combination of topicals, which are a pain...

By the way, you're young, so you might have done very well on finasteride; but I'm kinda surprised that you got sides. But most people reported that the sides subdued with continued use; maybe it was a sign that your body is being affected in some way. I don't know really...

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Cut the 5mg tablets into 6ths for awhile, or just stay on fourths longer. It took me about a month to get tolerable with it but I did. Also, the itching is a sign that your immune system is attacking your hair follicles which is bad. A week is too soon to quit, its your hair after all.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hi dude,

You definitely seem to be losing, especially from the temples, but you still have a good amount of hair left. I'd recommend that you start taking a .5mg of proscar and stick with it for a month and see how you go...start Nizoral now like another poster suggested, as this has anti androgen properties and will help prevent DHT binding to your hair follicle. It will also help with the itch.

If proscar does not work out for you, then i suggest you look in to a topical regimen. Start researching products like Proxiphen, Revivogen, Xandrox...

All the best, and let us know what course of action you take, and how it works out for you. :)