Home combinations to make a conditioner

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made their own combination of ingredients? I was thinking about buying some oils GLA, ALA, oliec, tea tree oil; peppermint essential oil, lavendar; and mixing with water & water soluables like white cucumin, caffiene, apple extract, and an emulsifier. I'd probably use it after shampoo instead of conditioner. I'm guessing mixing up a couple of weeks worth at a time would reduce degredation. I was thinking after a shampoo removes lots of oil from the scalp would be the best time for oils to absorb. For the emulsifier, most conditioners use a cationic surfactant to make oils stick to the hydrophilic hair proteins, so i guess to make it a real conditioner i'd have to use something like Cetrimonium bromide. dunno where to source something like that. I'd guess this woudl have significant start-up costs but most of these things come in giantic quantities so they'd last forever.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea, I am also looking for a good conditioner. But it will be difficult to make something that isn't too oily or smelly...