Hope4Hairs story... (19)

Hope4hair

Reaction score
The first time I became aware of my male pattern baldness was when i was about 17 and a half. I used to shave my hair short, and let it grow and repeat the process. So as usual I had shaved my head and this time when I did this I first saw slight recession at my temples. At the time this didn't bother me too much, it was so slight it didn't really affect me, and I had no real idea of what was to come - the emotional battle, the obsession, and the depression that now affects me.

I am now 19. My hair has been slowly but surely receding from my temples/sides. Over the last year or so , a lot of my attention has turned to my male pattern baldness. I am pretty much obsessed by it. It has in my view started taking away my looks and youth. I know anyone can brag on an internet forum - but I used to get quite a lot of attention from girls, I used to do fairly well with them. Now I have started to lose confidence. I am still fairly confident socially, but I believe in many ways that I am no longer attractive to girls, and am losing the easy charm I used to have with girls.

I have terrible feelings and thoughts about MBP, of how society views bald people, and of how one's status is in most cases reduced when one suffers from MBP. I feel it is unfair and injust. I feel that I am losing my youth, losing out on success with woman and success with life. I really do think baldness can quite easily make some uglier, especially if they don't take care of their looks in other ways, through exercise and diet etc. Although I am not Bald just yet, I feel that my receding hairline has definately knocked some notchs of my looks. I have become increasingly misanthropic - I remember when people used to value me highly because of my looks, and now people do not give me so much attention. For me, my experience so far has in many ways beeen a depressing illustration of humanity. I have first hand experience of the shallow nature of humans, how we only look for the external. This value on the external has also caused suffering in me, as I feel my looks are going, so do I feel my superficial value going.

Anyway, in spite of all this negativity, I would like to say that the future is bright for us. Going bald is not the end of the world. Bald people can get the girls and can get success in life. It all comes down to one's outlook, defeatism won't get me, or anyone else, anywhere. The new treatments in the pipeline look interesting, and we should all be optimistic. I personally believe that all the current treatments are laughable. All the pills, lotions, creams, lazer's aren't going to do much. Yes, they may slow the process, but I don't think they are worth the attention or money. And hair transplant just looks terrible in my opinion. So far I am going bald naturally and trying to accpet, although if HM ever does happen in the near future, I would be more than willing, if the actual treatment worked well.

My story is probably most similar to all of yours. I am just another man, (albeit a young one) who is slowly being crushed and transformed by MBP. It is strange, how when you have a full head of hair, you do not know how lucky you are until you start to lose it. I suppose this is the same with much of life, the cruel irony of not acknowledging the true value of something until it goes.

As a fellow sufferer, I know how you all feel. Lets stay positive and optimistic - there is much news to suggest that a cure is on it's way in the next few years.

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel buddy. Things used to be a lot easier when I had hair, and even when I was using a concealer. Now I buzz my head and try to accept it...but things are not as easy as they used to be. At work, I have to work harder to get what I want because my charm apparently went away with my hair. With girls? I don't even know if I want to be with my current gf but I am staying because I don't know if I will find another! It sucks, but what can you do.

2 good things about hair loss. It has forced me to get my act together and stop being immature, because I cannot get what I want anymore by charming people. I actually have to know everything I can about everything at work. Also, It has forced me to get in shape, bc the only thing worse than being bald is being fat and bald!

good luck man.

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score
Anthony83 said:
With girls? I don't even know if I want to be with my current gf but I am staying because I don't know if I will find another! It sucks, but what can you do.

You still sound immature, like I used to be. :)

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
Anarch said:
Anthony83 said:
With girls? I don't even know if I want to be with my current gf but I am staying because I don't know if I will find another! It sucks, but what can you do.

You still sound immature, like I used to be. :)

haha...I am definitely still immature, but much better than I used to be! Imagine how bad I was back when I had hair, I would probably have been fired months ago.