Hopeofhair's Story - (28 /after 7 years of battling hairloss

hopeofhair

Reaction score
Hi

Just new to the forum and here is my story so far.

My hair began receding round the temples when I was 21 so after 6 months and a doctors visit I was prescribed Propecia and Regaine. I noticed after 6 months that the Propecia seemed to have halted any further hairloss but I stopped using the Regaine as it was making my scalp very itchy and inflamed.

Unfortunately after being on Propecia for over 2 years apart from I began to get swolen man boobs so made the tough decision of coming off it.

Since then I have only really been trying various shampoos such as Nisim and some of Boots own brand stuff and to be honest they done nothing to slow or prevent further hairloss.

I have now started a new regime 3 weeks ago...

1 x Saw Palmetto (standardised extract) 320mg capsule daily
2 x Biotin tablets daily
1 x Holland & Barrett vitamins for the hair tablet daily
1 x cod liver oil tablet daily

With shampoo I am alternating between Nizoral, Alpecin & Johnsons Baby Shampoo.

I have posted a picture below which you can see my hair is thinning badly in the crown and at the front. I have lost a lot of hair since coming off Propecia.

I am going to try this regime for at least 6 months so wish me luck. I would like achieve some growth and less thinning but as I have lost so much already its going to be a tough mission. I will keep you all updated monthly as to how its going.

Over and out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
Seeing as its been so long (7 years) since you've been losing and the degree of loss you have experienced I wish you the best of luck but if I'm to be honest I wouldn't expect much from that regimen.

You really need to get on a stronger regimen (finasteride,min,nizoral,ru/spironolactone/fluridil) if you want to see results. Given you said you already tried finasteride+min but experienced sides but maybe you should try them again as they are you're best bet.

In any case I sincerely wish success on you, good luck brother.

hopeofhair

Reaction score
Hi all

Haven't given an update for a while now. I went to see my doctor last week and have gone back on Propecia. Only this time I am only taking 0.5 mg a day as this is more cost effective and will hopefully reduce any chances of sides.

I am also still using Nizoral once a week which seems to have halted any further major loss.

To anyone who is using saw palmetto, I can personally say myself after using it for 3 months, it had no effect whatsoever on my hair. All it did do was make me feel like crap and make me moody.

Will post an updated pic soon.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guess you will get sides from 0.5mg too, it just take longer time... Ever tought about 5% spironolactone/S5? Or the minoxidil without alcohol. I belive its called nanomx or something around there

Obsidian

Reaction score
.5mg of Propecia is not gonna regrow a slick bald spot like that. You need to get on minoxidil and give that try, there are some brands that do not use alcohol like nanominox mentioned.

hopeofhair

Reaction score
From what I've read online, 0.5 mg is usually just as effective as 1mg. When I used Propecia before, I responded very well and very quickly so I hope I get decent results this time round.

Im not expecting to fully regrow the thinning area. If the Propecia reduced thinning and thickened my hair a bit so I could get away with using a concealer I would be happy.

Im also taking 2 biotin tablets per day which I've noticed has made my hair slightly thicker over the last 4 months.

Will give it a couple of months to see how things go and maybe then add minoxidil.

hopeofhair

Reaction score
Well I've been on Propecia now for 2 weeks and have been experiencing some sides the last few days. Most noticeable is nut ache and brain fog. Also havent been sleeping as well either.

As for the brain fog its affecting my general concentration. Don't remember getting these side effects last time I was on Propecia. I'l maybe keep on it for another week to see how things go but if there is no improvement is it best to come off it?

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you are 100% certain you got brainfog already after only 2 weeks id get off it asap. It is a serious side effect... Imagine getting a "brainfog attack" while driving or anything else where you need concentration.

Have you considered RU? spironolactone? Maybe even some copper peptides? finasteride is obviously not good for you

hopeofhair

Reaction score
MrBastard said:
If you are 100% certain you got brainfog already after only 2 weeks id get off it asap. It is a serious side effect... Imagine getting a "brainfog attack" while driving or anything else where you need concentration.

Have you considered RU? spironolactone? Maybe even some copper peptides? finasteride is obviously not good for you

I haven't taken any finasteride now for 3 days and feel noticeably brighter and more alert. I just find it strange I was able to take this drug for nearly 3 years previously but can't manage it now.

Thanks, I will look into those treatments you mentioned. Although I am going to need something to take internally to block DHT. I hear green tea is a natural DHT blocker. Not sure how effective it is though.

hopeofhair

Reaction score
Hi all

Been a while since I posted an update. After a temporary stop of Propecia im now back on it, still have some sides but not as bad as they were.

I think there has been a small improvement since 2 months ago, my hair doesnt look as thin and I can see lots of new hairs growing around my hairline.

dsc00059es.jpg

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all shave it off. NW5A does not suit a 28 year old guy. Treatments will most likely not help you regrow anything significant. The best you can do is either shave it off and accept it or continue treatements and get a hair transplant.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree a buzz would be much better indeed. But yes, you seem to have some nice results. Just get a buzz for now and continue the treatments. Good luck.

hopeofhair

Reaction score
Hi

Its been a few months since I last posted an update.

For the last 2 months I have increased my daily dose of Propecia to 1mg.

This first picture was the condition of my hair back in September 2010.

This picture was taken last week.

I am personally very pleased with the results so far and am going to continue on 1mg.

What are your opinions?

Megadeth

Established Member
Reaction score
Definitely some improvement. I would keep with it for a little while longer.

Honestly, though. I don't think you will get the results you are hoping for with meds. Hair transplant might be the only way to get real significant improvement.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Great stuff man!

Growth results from propecia usually peak after 1-2 years, so be patient. Hopefully you will achieve some good growth after that timeframe. You are going forwards; not backwards.. Which is always a grest result!