Hot Sauces (And Spicy Things)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm from California. We cram our mouths day-in and day-out with picante Mexican foods. I slather my burritos with loads of hot sauce, including Habanero salsas. And sadly, there is no REAL Mexican food in the Northeast.

I'm considering ordering a ghost chili sauce:
http://www.amazon.com/Daves-Ghost-Peppe ... 344&sr=1-5
31xheK%2B79JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Considered 400x hotter than Tabasco.

Anyone have some sauce/salsa recommendations that are both delicious and hot!?

Cassin

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I'm from California. We cram our mouths day-in and day-out with picante Mexican foods. I slather my burritos with loads of hot sauce, including Habanero salsas. And sadly, there is no REAL Mexican food in the Northeast.

I'm considering ordering a ghost chili sauce:
http://www.amazon.com/Daves-Ghost-Peppe ... 344&sr=1-5
31xheK%2B79JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Considered 400x hotter than Tabasco.

Anyone have some sauce/salsa recommendations that are both delicious and hot!?

I will say this about ghost peppers...it's good for cooking a large amount at food at one time or as a marinade but putting the sauce on ready made food would be too much IMO. It's too spicy which doesn't always mean good IMO.

I suggest you learn to make your own salsa...it's surprisingly easy but it's only good for a few days.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Cassin, how much would you put in a crockpot full of chili? Keep in mind that I LOVE hot sauce.

I really have no idea how hot this stuff gets. I routinely eat habanero, so I'm hoping this will be a cakewalk.

Cassin

Reaction score
I slow cook crock pot chili so I slowly add over time... I would guess roughly 75% of a small bottle of that sauce I posted. But I also always leaved a split open seared jalapeño on top, with seeds.

Cassin

Reaction score
Aplunk....IMO if you love spicy foods you're better off getting the spice directly from plants. IMO chili sauce is good for flavor not spice. You might want to toy around with jalapeño seeds. That's where the hotness comes from.

Obsidian

Reaction score

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you like hot salsa that tastes good, check out Religious Experience "The Wrath". It's hotter than their hot salsa and tastes very good. It's one of my favorite salsas. Another good choice is Sadies Salsa. In the hot variety, Sadies is almost as good as Religious Experience (though not as hot). Those are the hottest salsas I've been able to find at the store. To add even more kick to em, put a few drops of Daves into the jar and mix it up.

The Daves sauce you listed is only supposed to be used in large batches of food...Or used sparingly in soups etc. I usually use 2 small drops of Daves Insanity in a bowl of soup or chili to really make it hot. 1 drop is hot enough that most people can't eat it. Best part about Daves is that it has almost no taste, so you can still taste the flavor of the food as your tongue burns.

For an entire crockpot full of chili, the absolute most Ghost Pepper I'd ever think about adding is maybe 1/8 of the bottle...Probably not even that much. Test it out 1st with a bowl of chili and see if you can stand more than 2 drops of the stuff. 2 drops of Daves Insanity in a bowl of chili is right at my heat limit and I love spicy food.

Cassin

Reaction score
Harie said:
For an entire crockpot full of chili, the absolute most Ghost Pepper I'd ever think about adding is maybe 1/8 of the bottle...Probably not even that much. .
especially since left overs will continue to heat

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've only just got in to eating hot curries, these sources would probably make my eyes water, nose run, and make me sweat all over!

And I thought tabasco source was hot.

I read recently that spicy things, chillis etc actually give you a buzz. Serotonin is produced in the brain, so potentially they could be addictive. Forget the crack pipe, put some of this in your soup.

oni

Reaction score
If you like it hot, get some naga viper............................................. :whistle:

One of them in a big pot of chilli should do the trick................................... :whistle:

The Gardener

Reaction score
My favorite is Tapatio. Classic, simple, hot sauce.

tapatiosalsapicantehots.jpg

I do like Cholula a LOT as well, I think Cholula has just a tad more vinegar in it, whereas Tapatio is more of a straight hot pepper sauce. Depends on what I'm eating it with.

I LOVE splashing hot sauce on pizza, and I think Tapatio is GREAT on Mac and Cheese.