How beneficial are Scalp Exercises before a Transplant?

hawk001

Reaction score
How beneficial are Scalp exercises before a transplant? How can one tell that it has worked towards a successful transplant?

The amount of laxity (flexibility) in the donor area of a hair transplant patient’s scalp largely determines how large a donor strip can be safely removed during a hair transplant surgery. Some patients are blessed with great laxity and their surgeons can typically removed wider strips of hair bearing follicles from the back and sides of their head for transplantation.

Patients can help make their hair transplant experience a success by performing scalp exercises in the weeks or even months prior to surgery. Scalp exercises can increase scalp laxity which may allow more grafts to be harvested in a single session. Even patients with good laxity can benefit from scalp exercises. (H&W)

Does regular exercise also help to increase the laxity of the scalp?

How is laxity measured?

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know how it is measured but I think a lot of clinics require you to do scalp execises a while before the procedure, I think it also lessens the chances of your strip scar from stretching but I could be wrong.

Good question though

G

No Lucky, you are not wrong, you are 100% correct.

It is very difficult to measure our own laxity but you can teach someone else to do it for you. I also recommend to be doing these scalp stretches for six months prior to a hair transplant, unless of course you have endless laxity.

IMO, regular exercises does not improve laxity. It is the actual scalp stretching exercises that increases the play in the scalp.