How can we tell its really what they tell us?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am surely this question bothers a lot of people.
I recently bought spironolactone lotion 5% and ketoconazole 2% shampoo from dr. lee. How can i tell there is really that stuff in there? I know its not something you can do at home, but for those who have some laboratory experience please share some info! :)

CCS

Reaction score
You have to look at the list of ingredients, see if any of them have conjugated double bonds, and if none do, then only the active ingredients do. I know spironolactone is a steroid, and I think the keto has a benzene ring in it, though I might be wrong. Anyway, you'd have to dilute them until they are somewhat see through, and then use UV spectroscopy. Another method would be liquid chromatography, but you'd need a sample of the pure stuff to run through it. As dense as those mixtures are, I don't know of any other methods to find out, though I'm sure FDA has some fansy techniques to do it. I'm actually going look at my spironolactone pills under UV soon, and do my dutas under IR and ask an A student friend of mine if the flurobonds are likely on there.

The main thing bothering me right now is that the biggest peak, which is near the one finasteride has, is bigger than the benzene rings's small peak, even though it has 3 double bonds. I'd expect the ring to have a taller peak. So I need to find out about that.