how do new hairs grow in

BostonHawk

Established Member
Reaction score
so I have a lot of these small hairs growing in. They're visible and not vellus, I think. However I have strawberry blonde hair, so you can imagine how barely visible these new, thinner hairs. I'm trying to figure out if new base hairs grow from these thin hairs, or if basehairs start growing as basehairs. When I look at my non-thinning hair it looks like there's some of these thin hairs there too. Especially around my temples and sideburns.

The Gardener

Reaction score
BostonHawk said:
so I have a lot of these small hairs growing in. They're visible and not vellus, I think. However I have strawberry blonde hair, so you can imagine how barely visible these new, thinner hairs. I'm trying to figure out if new base hairs grow from these thin hairs, or if basehairs start growing as basehairs.

Sounds like typical minoxidil-induced activity. To illustrate my point, let's label this 'enhanced' vellous hair phenomenon in previously bald areas 'Sector 1' regrowth.

BostonHawk said:
When I look at my non-thinning hair it looks like there's some of these thin hairs there too. Especially around my temples and sideburns.

Let's label this additional haircount in existing hair-covered areas 'Sector 2' regrowth.

Here is how minoxidil has worked for me. For the first 3 months, I had both Sector 1 and Sector 2 regrowth and thought I my hairline would be completely repaired by summer.

Well, as time transpired there was a divergence between Sectors 1 and 2. The Sector 2 regrowth continued, and slowly started to creep a hair at a time towards the Sector 1 area. The Sector 1 hair maintained 'enhanced vellous' condition, and even a few sprouts from time to time started to grow long, terminal-type hairs.

So, at this point in time, I have a 'creeping' of the Sector 2 regrowth from the existing hair area to the bald area on a hair-by-hair basis. This is the most substantial effect I see, and it has been great and continues to improve to this day! As for Sector 1 regrowth, it is slow, and is a sporadic popping of an existing 'enhanced vellous' hair into terminal phase. Sure, it is improvement, but not what I would call regrowth.

So, from my experience, the real regrowth is taking place NOT as a sudden sprouting within my bald areas, but moreso as a hair-by-hair advance of covered areas into the once balding area

BostonHawk

Established Member
Reaction score
weird. So these thinner hairs turn into base hairs by slowly growing thicker at the roots? Basehairs don't grow as basehairs? Do you have any before and afters? Thanks gardener!

Christoph

Reaction score
'creeping' is what I'm experiencing and I assume most do .I'm seeing my dense hair on the sides 'creeping' inward to cover bald scalp .Interesting how baldness works in this way .Although my diffuse top is seeing a very little density itself if I'm to have a combable head of hair it will be from the side advancement .

The Gardener

Reaction score
BostonHawk said:
weird. So these thinner hairs turn into base hairs by slowly growing thicker at the roots?
Yes, but hairs normally grow thicker as the hairshaft is grown. Then, the hair is shed, and the follicle goes into rest for a few months. After the rest, a new follicle begins to grow. For male pattern baldness people, this follicle will be smaller than the previous one. However, if the male pattern baldness treatments are working, the new follicle will be the same size, or thicker than the one that was previously ejected. As that hair grows, it will get slowly thicker, and then shed, and the cycle is repeated. Fighting male pattern baldness is a matter of making sure that with each hair cycle, the new hairs are the same thickness as the shed hairs, and don't cycle back in a miniaturized size.

Do you have any before and afters? Thanks gardener!
No, no pix. I've resolved to myself to find some and get them up, but haven't done so yet.