how do you wash your hair?

Iggy

Reaction score
I've a question about washing your hair. I've been on proscar for almost two weeks now and I wash my hair with Nizoral ever second day. Thats it. I don't use any other shampoos or conditioners on top of the Nizoral. I'm losing quite a few hairs whenever I do wash my hair so thats why I only do it every second day or every once in awhile I might go two days in a roll without washing my hair. My question is, how effective is it to do this? Since using Nizoral helps with the hair growth/loss process, should I keep the routine of every second day? Or am I doing more harm to my hair with the dirt and pollutants that get into it by not washing my hair more often? Also I read some other posts where people mention that they use a regular shampoo after using Nizoral because Nizoral dries up there scalp (I havn't experienced this problem yet). I would like to use a regular shampoo as well just to give my scalp and hair an extra clean. Because I noticed that after using Nizoral there are white flakes in my hair (its not from Monox, I don't use it). I never got these white flakes which I assume its dandruff before I started on Nizoral. I would like to wash my hair first with Nizoral and then a regular shampoo, but I'm kind of scared to do this because of all the hair I lose each time I wash my hair. Can you guys suggest that I change or add something when washing my hair? What routine have you guys found works best for you?

Deaner

Reaction score
Your hair doesn't fall out because you're shampooing. Once you've lost all the loose hair you're gonna lose for that wash session, that's it. It was gonna fall out anyway, regardless of whether you shampooed or not. My advice is wash every day with a regular shampoo, rotating Nizoral in every 3rd day or so. One of the biggest hairloss myths is that shampooing causes hairloss, but this simply isn't true.

The hairs that fall out during a shampoo were dead a week or two ago, and have now been pushed up to the top of the scalp and are totally loose. Go outside if it's windy and you might even lose these hairs, that's how it is. So just shampoo bud, you'll smell better :p

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Iggy,

I'm sorry dude, dont take this as a personal attack but that was one ignorant post.

Washing your hair does not cause hairloss. Hairloss is primarily caused by the natural grow/rest cycle of your hair (everyone loses 100-150hairs a day due to this) and/or Androgenetic Alopecia causing damage at the cellular level due to DHT.

The hair that falls out when you washed it was about to fall out anyhow... Not washing isnt going to save you ANY hair. Washing too much isnt going to give you hair either!

What you need to do is stick with your Finasteride for the next 6-12months RELIGIOUSLY! You should use Nizoral 2% every 2nd to 3rd day. On the days you use Nizoral FIRST wash and rinse with a mild shampoo (baby shampoo works). This cleans the dirt/oil off the scalp so the Ketoconazole (active ingredient in Nizoral) can get maximum absorption. Leave the Nizoral on for 5-10mins then rinse.

On your off days use a thickening shampoo like Jason's Thin to Thick or Vive For Men.

The important part is to get out of your head that the hair you are losing when washing is somehow the sole result of washing... Either the hair already fell out or it was just about to. Healthy hair will NOT fall out when you shampoo unless you like to play it rough in the bathroom :wink: