How long can you grow your hair after hair transplant?

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How long can you grow you hair after having a hair transplant?
all the before and after pictures shows guys with maximum of few cm in length, but can you grow it really long? and still have it look good enough, if so can you please show me a picture of someone who had hair transplant and now has long hair? im just curious how it would look like.
(im not talking about nw1.5 who went back to full head of hair, im talking about at least Norwood 3)

GeminiX

Reaction score
/wave

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GeminiX, it looks very thick ! i would never guessed that was post hair transplant ! o_O
how come it looks so natural? was it only one session?

dudemon said:
Ori83 said:
How long can you grow you hair after having a hair transplant?
all the before and after pictures shows guys with maximum of few cm in length, but can you grow it really long? and still have it look good enough, if so can you please show me a picture of someone who had hair transplant and now has long hair? im just curious how it would look like.
(im not talking about nw1.5 who went back to full head of hair, im talking about at least Norwood 3)

The transplanted hair will grow as long as you want to grow it; down to your knees if you wish. But the pre-existing hair in the recipient region will not grow if it is "miniaturized" from male pattern baldness.

Because of that, and because the density of transplanted hair on guys NW4+ is usually lower than that of guys less bald, having it short (a few cms at the most) looks the best.

If you grow low density (thin wispy) transplanted hair long, it looks like $hit. It looks worse than a combover. You will get laughed at and be the butt of people's jokes for sporting a combover. You don't want that.

The bottom line: hair transplant + long hair = combover

That is why you always see guys who get transplants with very short hair.

well have a look at GeminiX's hair... and btw, if you transplent hairs from the body (which are only few CMs at best) would they grow as long as your natural hairs on the head?

GeminiX

Reaction score
Dudemon is correct, I'm just good at disguising it :)

In my case I was lucky to get decent regrowth from my regimen combined with a transpplant from an extremely good surgeon who worked on my hairline. Even then though, I only have about 30% - 50% of the hair that I had before going bald (at an estimate).

If you look at the picture in my profile, you can see that I can't *really* do a fringe yet and have to part my hair much further back than a natal woman would (not counting the current trend to style it like I have here).

Five months ago I had a second transplant which should go someway to improving it further, just have to wait a little while longer to see the re-growth (I hate waiting).

edit - perhaps it would help if I took some *worst* and *best* pictures of my hair, the worst being with very strong lighting so the scalp is more visible then, some diffuse and natural light so people can see the difference in appearence.

Danielle

s.a.f

Reaction score
Ori83 said:
and btw, if you transplent hairs from the body (which are only few CMs at best) would they grow as long as your natural hairs on the head?

No they are the same hairs just relocated, dont buy the BS that some people (including surgeons) that they take on head hair characteristics. Thats impossible. If you plant a Bonsai tree amongst oaks it does'nt grow any bigger.

GeminiX

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Ori83 said:
and btw, if you transplent hairs from the body (which are only few CMs at best) would they grow as long as your natural hairs on the head?

No they are the same hairs just relocated, dont buy the BS that some people (including surgeons) that they take on head hair characteristics. Thats impossible. If you plant a Bonsai tree amongst oaks it does'nt grow any bigger.

I'm actually doing a little experiment along these lines.

During my hair transplant, Dr. Rogers kept a few hairs over to improve the symmetry of my eyebrows. As you know, eyebrow hair grows much finer and with less speed than hair from the scalp, but apparently after a couple of years or so, the scalp hair will take on similar properties to the hairs around it.

So far, I have a few *crazy* hairs growing on my eyebrow that need regular pruning lol...

s.a.f

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
but apparently after a couple of years or so, the scalp hair will take on similar properties to the hairs around it.
So far, I have a few *crazy* hairs growing on my eyebrow that need regular pruning lol...

Exactly how are these head hairs going to change into eyebrow hairs? How are the follicles going to magicly alter their genetic structure?

My guess is that you'll be pruning for the rest of your life.

GeminiX

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
GeminiX said:
but apparently after a couple of years or so, the scalp hair will take on similar properties to the hairs around it.

Exactly how are these head hairs going to change into eyebrow hairs? How are the follicles going to magicly alter their genetic structure?

My guess is that you'll be pruning for the rest of your life.

And to be honest, that is what I'm expecting. It's no big deal as I regularly pluck them anyway (which is why I'm happy to take the risk).

The cosmetic improvement is dramatic and saves me having to pencil in the gaps where the scar is every day :)

Remid me in about 18 months and I'll let you know if any magic has happened.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
The bottom line: hair transplant + long hair = combover

That is why you always see guys who get transplants with very short hair.[/quote]

This has to be so true, nearly every hair transplant picture ive seen they always have short hair. Untill some boffin figures it out which will proberly never happen I dont think anyones gonna have that lovely long thick locks like we did when we were 16 :shock:

I think in a few years time may just go for a short hair piece or hair transplant :)