How long do vellus hairs grow?

Deaner

Reaction score
Yep... that's my question. How long (cm or whatever you want) do vellous hairs generally grow? Being weaker and finer than any other hair, I would imagine they don't grow to be very long at all. Thanks for any responses.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hey Deaner ,

This was actually something i was interested in, so i set about keeping a daily vigilance on this one inparticular vellus hair i had growing about half an inch from my hairline.... i have now watched this little colourless slim bastard grow and fall out three times... and how long did i get it to grow? 1 inch, never longer... not yet anyway but it is getting darker and thicker everytime it grows back which is reasuring that my hair is still improving 15 months on from the start of 'Project D' .

And why the hell have i got one hair half an inch from my hairline??? strange.

:lol:

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
I also have a hair about half an inch down from my hairline which happens to be where my old nonbalding tip use to be . Its fallen out once already since my three month regimen and has popped up the other day darker and thicker . I only wish all my vellus hair was one inch . They're still 3mm long .

Deaner

Reaction score
Oh, okay, blast! I was hoping they only grew to be really short, so that all these fine blonde hairs I keep discovering (now 1-2cm in length) in along all the rest of my hair (25-50 visible in every small row across my head I comb back). I tried to grab one today to see where it was rooted, but it's impossible to tell if the base is becoming any thicker than the very fine and unpigmented tip.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:
Oh, okay, blast! I was hoping they only grew to be really short, so that all these fine blonde hairs I keep discovering (now 1-2cm in length) in along all the rest of my hair (25-50 visible in every small row across my head I comb back). I tried to grab one today to see where it was rooted, but it's impossible to tell if the base is becoming any thicker than the very fine and unpigmented tip.

Im having the same reaction. I have tons of blonde hairs on the tip of my hairline. They grow long though, I would say about 2 to 3 inches, but have no pigmentation. I really dont know why that would be. I just wish the hair I have would start to darken up more and more, my hairloss would look undetectable! :)

Tony

Petchsky

Reaction score
I noticed with my vellus hairs that they are vellus for quite a while before darkening up - in regards to my other vellus hairs they do not grow that long, its just my freak one hair away from the hairline thats for some reason longer.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes a hair to go full cycle back to a terminal hair?