How much do you shed while showering?

Kemp

Reaction score
How much hair does one usually shed in the shower?
How often do you have to remove the hair from the shower-drain, i ask because
i usually have to clean the drain from hairs after 4-5 showers.
Is this a sign of hairloss or do people with no
hairloss also shed in the shower?

hoople

Reaction score
I am masochistic enough to have a hair catcher in my plug hole, it catches an average of about 100 hairs per shower. I shower daily.

Kemp

Reaction score
hoople said:
I am masochistic enough to have a hair catcher in my plug hole, it catches an average of about 100 hairs per shower. I shower daily.

I can rub my hands through my hair and no hairs comes out, maybe one or two in the worst cases, the same with brushing the hair or hairs on the pillow. The only time i notice hairs is in the shower hair catcher, because of this i am not sure if i am having a big shed or not.
What do you guys think?

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are faking a hair loss, especially if you lose 10 hairs a shower or if none comes in ur hands.
I think I lose in the whole process, counting minor toweling not to lose some more and blow drying cold air, like, 30-50 hairs.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whe I was first losing hair I would count about 60-90 hairs coming out in the shower and then when I would go over the sink and rub my hair I could sometimes count up to 200 hairs. It was quite devastating. Now I usually count about 10-15 hairs while shopering... and believe me I look. Also I think the word "Usually" should be spelt with 2 "SS's" and one "L". Also it should be okay to say "spelled" instead of "spelt". And also I should have to use "quoatation marks" around the words in question... you should just know which words I'm referring to without them.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
5-10??? 20-30??? Is this because you guys are on finasteride for a long time? I mean, if I was loosing only 5-10 hairs in the shower I wouldn't be worried at all. I loose at least 100+ and sometimes 200+ in the shower (since using rogain). On bad days I need to clear the drain during the shower. I have a fairly typical drain with largish holes. A hair catcher seems very scary.

Reaction score
I used to be very aggressive in my teen years (really scrubbing my hairs) but now I have a gentler approach where I massage my scalp but don't kill it. I average about 10 to 20 hairs during shampooing.

I also make sure the water pressure is a gentle setting that is not too hot but just lukewarm. During towel dry, I get no hairs on towel.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score
I only shed when i rub conditioner in 10-20 hairs, different lengths and breadths, not obviously a sign of hairloss or the effects of the treatments. In fact, I can't guarantee it, (as I had no reason to pay attention back then[pre-hairloss]) but I believe I have always shed hairs in such a fashion. Conditioner is meant to do this? I dont really know i only discovered you were meant to keep it in your hair for 1 minute when i was 18 so my knowledge is limited somewhat.

safe

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
rkim said:
5-10??? 20-30??? Is this because you guys are on finasteride for a long time? I mean, if I was loosing only 5-10 hairs in the shower I wouldn't be worried at all. I loose at least 100+ and sometimes 200+ in the shower (since using rogain). On bad days I need to clear the drain during the shower. I have a fairly typical drain with largish holes. A hair catcher seems very scary.

before i started propecia....and when i first noticed hairloss...i notice a lot of hair while showering...prob around 50 or so...that i noticed.

ive been on propecia and nizoral for a year and a half now....and i notice no more than 10 or so per shower.