How much do you spend on food each month (for yourself)?

How much do you spend on groceries for yourself per month?

• No idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than $60

• More than $60

• More than $100

• More than $600

• More than $850

• More than $1200

• Varies greatly

• Total voters

CCS

Reaction score
I'm not completely sure, but I think I spend about $200 per month on food right now.

If I eat mostly rice and potatos, I live on less than $100 per month. If I eat more variety, and base it on corn and potatos instead of rice, I spend closer to $200 per month. If I really increase the variety, and through some blue berries in, it climbs to probably $300 per month. It would be easy to go higher than that if I really got picky. I'm mostly vegetarian.

How much do you spend per month, and how much is from restaurants? When I eat out, I eat bean burritos, which are 400 calories each and $1.08. 6 or 7 per day would take care of me.

If you always eat out, and your average meal is $15 after tax and tip, and you eat 3 per day, 30 days per month, that is $1350 per month. $450 per month if the average meal is $5.

And count booze and soda and candy. Anything with calories.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used to buy wine but now I buy beer. Also, I look for about 2 bucks a meal. And I try about 4 meals a day. Got to stay active. :)

HughJass

Reaction score
I figure I must spend about $300 a month.

Potatoes are pretty good when you are on a budget. I eat loads of them.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
50c for breakfast, $1.50 for lunch. Our meals at work are subsidised.

I'd say without the beers I probably spend at most $150 on food.

My guess is, I spend anywhere between $50 and $100 on beers per month.

Oh, I almost forgot the coffees. I spend at least $50 a month on coffee.

In total, I spend around $300 on food, beer, and coffee. I usually don't think about the cost because I prefer cheaper places :whistle:

If I drunk less beer and coffee, I can save some money, but what's the point :punk:

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
probably around AUD$300, but what do I pick? $200 or $350? Do I have to convert AUD to US?

I picked $200 fyi.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
virtuality said:

In total, I spend around $300 on food, beer, and coffee. I usually don't think about the cost because I prefer cheaper places :whistle:

If I drunk less beer and coffee, I can save some money, but what's the point :punk:

What's an american 50 Cent breakfast? :woot:

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shma said:
virtuality said:

World English Dictionary
subsidy (?s?bs?d?)

—n , pl -dies
1. a financial aid supplied by a government, as to industry, for reasons of public welfare, the balance of payments, etc
2. English history a financial grant made originally for special purposes by Parliament to the Crown
3. any monetary contribution, grant, or aid

There you go :)

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Shma said:
virtuality said:

Actually we don't get subsidised breakfast, I think we pay only the cost. I usually grab a pastry at work, which is 30c and a cup of coffee for 20c.

Our lunches are properly subsidised, we pay only 30% of the cost. The only drawback is that we don't get a choice, we pay a fixed fee of $1.50 and eat whatever is available that particular day. If we don't like what's on offer, we just go to the local fast food shop :whistle:

Most multinationals pay for the meals, so having subsidised meals isn't such a big deal.

My previous job used to pay me $100 per month as lunch allowance, I'd rather get the cash than the subsidised meals.

powersam

Reaction score
Around a kg of meat (chicken, beef, fish) and eggs every day. Spread across one, maybe two meals.

Probably spend something like $700 a month if include restaurant meals.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
Around a kg of meat (chicken, beef, fish) and eggs every day. Spread across one, maybe two meals.

There was a study a few years back that basically said more than 500gr of red meat per week increases the risk of cancer :dunno:

powersam

Reaction score
virtuality said:
powersam said:

There was a study a few years back that basically said more than 500gr of red meat per week increases the risk of cancer :dunno:

There are many showing the opposite.