How much does a hair transplant cost, and its effectiveness?

Ilovehair

Reaction score
I was on proscar for over two years, I decided to give it up because I never went to a doctor about my hairloss, I just started buying off the internet when I was 20. I am 22 now, I stopped taking it two months ago as I was afraid of possible long term effects.

I guess I am a norwood 2-3, thinning all over. Since I dropped the proscar my regimen consists of using rogain foam twice daily and nizoral every other day. I appear to be losing the war even when I was on proscar I experienced no regrowth, perhaps some slight stabilization if even that.

I thought I had accepted my hairloss over the past couple of years but recently a lot of things have brought back my insecurities. A major issue is when people ask me my age, they are clearly shocked when I say I am 22. One cab driver thought I was 31, that comment felt like a punch from Mike Tyson.
I've had crap luck with the opposite sex in the past couple of years. I am a tall guy with a pretty good body but women just aren't interested in me. This is not a confidence issue, I have a chubby face and big ears that stick out, when I could grow my hair out these were not so noticeable but now I look ridiculous with my buzzed head as I have a big forehead from the recession. Looking at pictures from three years ago, my hairloss has really aged me and it hurts.

I am seriously thinking of getting a hair transplant at this point as my options are very limited.

Can a hair transplant fully restore a full head of hair?
How long will the transplanted hair last, a couple of years?
Approximately how much does a transplant cost?

Thanks

s.a.f

Reaction score
Ilovehair said:

Not really but it can give a vast improvement to your appearance. (depends on how much hair you still have). The more the better.
The transplanted hair should last a lifetime the question is what about your remaining original hair, will that last?
Depends on how many grafts you need average the average procedure is about $4-8000.

Some pics of your situation would be useful.

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Can a hair transplant fully restore a full head of hair? Luck of the draw. Depending on many variables. Density, color, hair characteristics, all play a major role and still leaves some unpredictability. Restoring a full head... hard to say.

How long will the transplanted hair last, a couple of years? Hair is taken from the back of the head so it is permanent.

Approximately how much does a transplant cost? I have with my own eyes seen a patients pay anywhere from $3000 to as much as $160,000. Can you freakon believe that high end cost?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Ilovehair said:

Not really but it can give a vast improvement to your appearance. (depends on how much hair you still have). The more the better.
The transplanted hair should last a lifetime the question is what about your remaining original hair, will that last?
Depends on how many grafts you need average the average procedure is about $4-8000.

Some pics of your situation would be useful.

saf once you have the hair transplant done, do you still need to pop finasteride for the rest of your life?

I am a bit confused since I heard different answers.

thanks man

s.a.f

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
saf once you have the hair transplant done, do you still need to pop finasteride for the rest of your life?

Only if you dont want to lose the the rest of your non hair transplant hair! :)

Of course you still need to take meds, the hair transplant will replace the hairs that you have already lost but the rest of your hair is still at risk from m.p.b.

CCS

Reaction score
A $4000 procedure is a small one. Yes, it will make you look better, but no where near as good as having a full head of dense hair.

And if the hairs behind the transplanted hairs start to thin, you will look funny.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its a hair system. This case has been well discussed on a few forums, the hair appeared overnight.

Ilovehair

Reaction score
I have about $45,000 which I have worked hard to save up for my future. But honestly my premature hairloss is gradually eating away at me. I find myself working late because I have nothing to come home to. I go to the gym and night classes a few nights a week but other than that my whole life is void. I try not to feel sorry for myself because of the hair but its hard hitting on girls thinking I am getting somewhere, only to find they are not interested because I'm a bald 22 year old.

I guess I would consider spending up to $15,000 on a hair transplant. I take it that kind of money would give me good coverage?

s.a.f

Reaction score
What norwood are you?

Ilovehair

Reaction score
I'm a norwood 2 diffuse thinner. I know diffuse thinners are far from ideal for a hair transplant. So I might wait 2-3 years until I turn 25 as my hairloss will have worsened at the stage, also I assume hair transplant prices will have decreased a bit and techniques may have improved.

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you are: NW2 diffuse thinner...in the meanwhile try a concealer, toppik is giving me an extra 6-12 months to cover the thinning areas.

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
If you can wait, then wait and save your money.

We might be on the verge of major changes in the hair transplant situation in 2-5 years if Intercytex's hair multiplication effort continues in trials without any setbacks. This has been a long time coming and it might still not be here yet in 5 years, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
At your age A hair transplant at it's current level of development will never give you a full head of hair, Unless of course you want to transplant a large portion of your donor site and give up any chance of keeping decent coverage of your head for the rest of your life.

If cost Isn't a big issue then Get fue then if someday your hairloss worsens to the point where there is a gap between your natural hair and your transplanted hair you can rock the shaved look minus the scars, Get thin coverage on your frontal hairline and go with a higher one bringing your Norwood down to a 1 or 1.5 fortify your current thinning areas, get back on the meds because Rogaine and nizoral cannot do it alone, even if you where not getting a huge help from the finasteride any help is a Help and an important one.

Also make sure you do your research on hair transplant surgeons, If you get to one and he wants to bring your hairline down to what it was before you started losing your hair don't buy into it, That type of surgeon will hurt you big time in the long run.

If it is really weighing this heavily on your social life and you cannot get over it just by manning up then Get your hair transplant just get the right one for the long term.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Ilovehair said:
I'm a norwood 2 diffuse thinner. I know diffuse thinners are far from ideal for a hair transplant. So I might wait 2-3 years until I turn 25 as my hairloss will have worsened at the stage, also I assume hair transplant prices will have decreased a bit and techniques may have improved.

NW2 diffusive thinning and you call yourself a bald 22 yrs old?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
cal said:
If you can wait, then wait and save your money.

We might be on the verge of major changes in the hair transplant situation in 2-5 years if Intercytex's hair multiplication effort continues in trials without any setbacks. This has been a long time coming and it might still not be here yet in 5 years, but it's something to keep an eye on.

HM is still far from reach, I believe if he wants to get the illusion of having a full head of hair, hair transplant is definitely the way to go since he doesn't have 10 yrs in his life to waste.

G

RaginDemon said:
Ilovehair said:

NW2 diffusive thinning and you call yourself a bald 22 yrs old?

depends how much diffusing he has man. i've seen some guys with nw2 hairlines who i can spot as bald from 15 feet away because they've lost a TON of hair behind it.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Well I know what you mean, Norwood scale isn't a good description of hair loss in term of density anyways.