How much donor hair does the average individual have?

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have seen on websites such as Armani's and Feller's that they offer transplants of about 6000 grafts. Forget about the price for the time being; how many grafts could the average male possibly have with the sides and back still looking reasonable ok (maybe a little thin but still good). I know it is decided on an individual basis, but I for one have a very thick horseshoe ha ha (guess it's good for something).
Also I am thinking the best hair transplant doctor at the moment is Dr Feller considering price now. He will do a big procedure for about £14000 rather than $60000 like Armani ha ha.

s.a.f

Reaction score
The donor area is generally considered to be a 1-2" strip about 10 - 12" curving round the back of the head and above the ears in a smiley shape.
This area is considered to be resistant to DHT and the best place to harvest donor grafts. If neccessary with good patient laxity a surgeon can completley remove this area (in probably more than 1 procedure) and then close the inscision with sutres/staples. This would typicaly contain about 5-8000 grafts.

However with FUE obviously you cant completley deplete this area (or you'd be left with a bald strip) so you can only take a small amount from it therefore thinning it out but not to a noticible amount. Maybe 2000ish grafts.
But surgeons like Armani offering high FUE quotes will use the entire back and sides of the head not just the donor band this allows for a much greater number of FUE 8000 - 10000 but you run the risk of some of these grafts being lost over time as these hairs may not be DHT resistant.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is, some surgeons will use your NW6 area to transplant not just your NW7 area? In some ways this is still beneficial but do they put the NW6 hairs closer to the front so if they one day fall out it just looks like you are receeding and the NW7 hairs nearer the middle or back? If they don't take what I'm saying into consideration I think it is a good idea that they do in future and when and if I go for a hair transplant I will certainly make my surgeon aware of this.

s.a.f

Reaction score
They dont do that as far as I'm aware but what they do is use the naturally occuring single follicular units in the front wherever they happen to come from.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But are you saying individuals only have 2000 grafts which are garenteed never to fall out?

s.a.f

Reaction score
No but if you're taking them from all over the sides and back you cant be sure how many % could be subject to possibility of future thinning or loss. The chances are that it would only be a small % though, so dont worry too much.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
person said:
But are you saying individuals only have 2000 grafts which are garenteed never to fall out?

No I would say most people have at least 4K. I myself probably ( acccording to Dr Shapiro) have about 6K plus Fue

Armani has made claims of 15 and even 20K !

kr1ss81

Reaction score
HI. If my donor density is 85 grafts per 1cm2, how many grafts can be harvested via Strip and via FUE??

s.a.f

Reaction score
Depends on your head size and skin laxity. But if you got a strip 30cm long by 3cm wide (which is possible from Hassan and Wong working on a virgin scalp) it would be 7650.

kr1ss81

Reaction score
Thanks 4 answer S.A.F. If 1500-2000 grafts is taken via FUE then can I assume that about 6000 grafts left???

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah I'd say you'd have that much left if you had average characteristics.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
person said:

No I would say most people have at least 4K. I myself probably ( acccording to Dr Shapiro) have about 6K plus Fue

Armani has made claims of 15 and even 20K !

I dont think Armani is correct. 15-20K grafts from the sides is outrageous. The complete non bald head contains 40K grafts. 3000 to 5000 (Dr. Arvind's opinion in my case), is more probable.