How much hair do you lose a day??

Reaction score
I have been trying to chart my hair loss to see if I'm shedding or improving. I tend to lose about 60 (that I can tell) usually about 10 on the pillow, 40 in the shower and 10 while applying treatments topically. I can't tell what they are being replaced with, although about half seem to be thinner, shorter hairs.

Interested to know what people feel comfortable with shedding, and how they lose it.

I have heard that typical hair loss is 50-100 a day, although you need to factor in how much you already have and what kind of hair you are replacing lost ones with.

I started some treatments about 2 months ago (no, not Propecia or min) so maybe I have some shedding from my regime? Some people suggest this could be the case.

Any comments welcome.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
I think counting hairs is complete bs. For one, there's no way to do it. All throughout the day hair is falling out of your head even if you're not "shedding". You can try to count whats on your pillow and in the shower, but what's that going to do for you? I dont understand how to gauge progress by how much hair you're losing, because the hair loss could be the result of treatments causing a shed or just you losing your hair irregardless of the treatments.

So since a shed can be rationalized either way it's pretty pointless. The only way to measure progress is to wait a long time and compare pictures or perhaps just look very closely.