How much shedding is "normal" with Rogaine ?

apache2004

Reaction score
I started on Rogaine 3 1/2 weeks ago after good success on propecia ( 6 years on it thus far) .The 3rd week shedding kicked in and have gone from my typical 30-60 hairs /day to days of 300-400 !!! Is this reaction within what one could expect ? Is there a point where I should cut my loss and stop using it if this amount continues ?

Thank you for you help ---

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
apache2004 said:
I started on Rogaine 3 1/2 weeks ago after good success on propecia ( 6 years on it thus far) .The 3rd week shedding kicked in and have gone from my typical 30-60 hairs /day to days of 300-400 !!! Is this reaction within what one could expect ? Is there a point where I should cut my loss and stop using it if this amount continues ?

Thank you for you help ---

Read the following article:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article220.htm

This should "shed" some light on your guestion. It is often normal to go through a shed when starting a new regime.

Also, how would you rate our success with Propecia? Did you maintain? Regrow any?

Thanks,
Tony

apache2004

Reaction score
I am 44 and I would estimate I went from Norwood 3 to Norwood 1.5 after about 2 years on the Rx.Since-- I have lost some ground and would guess about a Norwood 2 currently.Over the last year I began "adjusting" the dose up and down and think I created some type of hormone imbalance ---all the loss has been within the last year.This is the first shed Ive experienced.I have a tingling sensation of the whole scalp and even the nape of the neck that actually proceeded the Rogaine use ---Its a flushing sensation that I think may be hormonal from the dose adjusting---not sure ?? However, the sensation increases with the shedding or vice versa.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
The shedding is normal on rogaine, maybe just give it a little time to ride over the shed. Where are you applying it? If your scalp becomes irritated that may be more of a problem then the shed, so check for that and add some nizoral if you already haven't. Some people have adverse reactions to minoxidil 5% (rapid heartbeat, water retention, swollen feet) maybe try going down to the 2%. By the way, congrats on your 6 years of propecia, and don't try to self medicate by changing your dosages, if it ain't broke don't fix it IMO.

apache2004

Reaction score
The scalp does "feel" irritated especially when sweating ( sunburned feeling) but I do not see any redness.How do you really know if the shed is due to irritation vs. normal Rogaine shed in this case ?

Thanks

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Apache,

Could you please tell us more about Propecia and the dosages you've been using?

apache2004

Reaction score
PS -- I am using it in about 6 parts along the scalp spread along each .

The reason for the dosage altering :

After I saw the Merck studies I decided to use 1/4 of a tablet ( 0.25mg) and stayed on this for years with good results.I then started seeing information indicating that for long-term "micro dosing" is not advisable and tried upping the dose with shedding and increased testosterone signs & symptoms and would lower and try again later to increase.I am concerned all this moving the dose my have rendered the drug ineffective and produced adverse hormonal response ...??? Currently , I am unclear what dose to stay on.

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Apache,

Where did you read that micro-dosing is not advised long term? Why was it not advised?

I am trying to find out more information about micro-dosing because I am seriously considering going the 0.5mg route.

All I've read so far is that same standard paragraph about 0.2 mg being 81% as effective as 1mg.

Deaner

Reaction score
why F with the 1mg dosage if you were doing good after 6 years?

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
apache2004 said:
PS -- I am using it in about 6 parts along the scalp spread along each .

The reason for the dosage altering :

After I saw the Merck studies I decided to use 1/4 of a tablet ( 0.25mg) and stayed on this for years with good results.I then started seeing information indicating that for long-term "micro dosing" is not advisable and tried upping the dose with shedding and increased testosterone signs & symptoms and would lower and try again later to increase.I am concerned all this moving the dose my have rendered the drug ineffective and produced adverse hormonal response ...??? Currently , I am unclear what dose to stay on.

So you were using .25 and went from a norwood 3 to a 1.5....that is amazing! Im using 1ml, which is recommended....maybe ill cut it down to .25.

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner,

Just to clarify, he said he was on a .25mg dosage for years.

Reaction score
Apache

That's fuckin awesome!!! To go from an Norwood 3 to a 1.5! :yeah:
Was that on finastride alone?

We rarely hear from long term users posting their results.

apache2004

Reaction score
I was using the Propecia and Curetage shampoo alone---but don't really think the shampoo had anything to do with it.

As I said the confusing part is in knowing how to proceed....did I upregulate DHT receptors on the scalp by screwing around with doses and now "need" more...Of course looking back I would have left everything alone ( stayed at 0.25mg and no Rogaine).However,everyone responds differently.At this point I go around swearing at every hair I see lying around all over the place !

I spoke with a transplant Dr who told me there was a large study from Univ of Washington State that clearly demonstrated the superiority of 1.0 over lower doses long term.I have yet to find the study.

apache2004

Reaction score
PS---

Just want to clarify...

Im not saying use 0.25mg or change to 0.25mg if your currently on a different dose.Who knows--maybe I would have had even better success if I had started and stayed on 1.0mg.I just think by changing the dose up & down over the last year altered something that Im unsure how to fix.

mrlestat

Reaction score
(I have used proscar for 4-5 months with no real effect that I can tell)

3 months on minoxidil. once a day and I started shedding massively after around 2-3 weeks, 50-100 hairs in the shower... I was exicted by this because obviously the treatment was working :roll: , the shed lasted around 3-4 weeks (mostly temples and in between).. Now in the last month I have gone from golf ball size bald patches in temples (70+% hair loss) to a 50 or so percent increase ( wish I had taken photos)....

There are so many little dark hairs now that it is not noticable that I'm thinning :shock: I'm honestly amazed at how well I have responded to minoxidil. & I can not imagine the progress I will make in coming months :)
I have a virgin forest of hairs erupting on my head... So shedders don't lose faith its a good sign.........