How often do you shampoo?

The Dude

Reaction score
I'm new here and had a question about shampooing. I was shampooing twice a day with Nioxin shampoo and conditioner because I thought I was keeping the DHT off my head. Someone told me that you shouldn't shampoo that much. Is there any definitive info on this? Also, is Nioxin good?

mrlestat

Reaction score
Rinse my hair with water everyday and shampoo once a week ... And with minoxidil. & proscar I am seeing excellent results... Have gone from golf ball size bald patches on both temples to a solid, thick hair line!!!!!!! I'm frankly amazed at how well the minoxidil has worked after only 4 months................ I have gone from obviously balding too "that guy has a decent head of hair..." seriously - no crap :freaked: :)

((had very nasty 1 month shed though)) a good thing in hindsight :wink:

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
It all depends on your hair....First off Nioxin is a good shampoo and conditioner but that's it....It does nothing to stop or prevent hair loss. If your hair feels nasty wash it....Washing it more isn't going to help. Personally I wash mine once a day. BTW DHT is something in the scalp that a shampoo can't wash away like dirt.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im with BHDecade,
I wash my hair once everyday,never anymore than that.

BTW Mrlestat,
How the hell do you only shampoo your hair once a week?

The Dude

Reaction score
I like washing and shampooing it in the morning to get the overnight grime out and at night to get the styling gel out. Would I be better off washing it less often or not using gel?

hopewas

Reaction score
how can anyone who applies minoxidil not shampoo every day? it gives me dead skin and dandruff if i don't wash it with dandruff shampoo let alone regular shampoo

The Gardener

Reaction score
I shower and shampoo twice a day and couldn't imagine doing less for more than a day or so. It is important to keep your scalp clean and free of sebum, and frankly it helps keep me smelling good.

Of course, shampooing can wear on the hair, which is why it's important to use a mild, quality shampoo on your non-Nizoral days.

And, I agree COMPLETELY with Hopewas. The days when I just plain have not managed (or was too lazy watching football and recovering from last night's hangover) to take a shower and have ended up putting three minoxidil applications on without a shower in between have always caused flaking on my scalp.

The Dude

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of people using nizoral every couple days. Can you use it daily? If not, what other shampoos do you fill in between with? I've used Nioxin for awhile - are there any studies on it or personal opinions?

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
Shampooing twice a day is totally unneccesary, but may be required for those who become oily. Before I started my regimen, iIwas extremely oily, so much so that I had to wash my hair twice a day and the face 4 or 5 times. The nizarol shampoo (2%) solved all that. Now I do not become oily at all. It is also very important that you get rid of oily and fatty foods from your diet, regular excerise is also important. If you excrete a lot of sebum it is unlikely that you will get a lot regrowth, so if by any chance you are extremely oily, I would recommend the use of nizarol everyday until the problem goes away. Personally, I only shampoo with Nizarol every 3rd day after gym or jogging.

G

absmon said:
Shampooing twice a day is totally unneccesary, but may be required for those who become oily. Before I started my regimen, iIwas extremely oily, so much so that I had to wash my hair twice a day and the face 4 or 5 times. The nizarol shampoo (2%) solved all that. Now I do not become oily at all. It is also very important that you get rid of oily and fatty foods from your diet, regular excerise is also important. If you excrete a lot of sebum it is unlikely that you will get a lot regrowth, so if by any chance you are extremely oily, I would recommend the use of nizarol everyday until the problem goes away. Personally, I only shampoo with Nizarol every 3rd day after gym or jogging.

You say the Nizoral solved your scalp and face oil, do you use Nizoral on your face?

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I don't use it on my face. The sebum is usually secreted by the sebaceous glands, which are mainly found in the hair follicles. so, of you can control the excess sebum in the hair it most likely that the problem on the face willl also be controlled. But it is also important to bear in mind that your diet needs be clean i.e. devoid of fatty/oily (good fats are OK) foods.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Great reply absmon...sounds pretty good. I have recently started with Nizoral 1%. Before that i was using Herbal essences..and was using it once a week..sometimes twice.
The instructions on the package of Nizoral say...it should be used twice weekly. So i will go by the book. :)
Do u have any advice for a suitable conditioner to be used with nizoral.?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im still in shock and awe about how Mrlestat only shampoos his head once a week while on minoxidil.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
I generaly shampoo once a day. I use Nizorelle (same as nizoral, just UK version) and it does not say anywhere on it that you cannot use it every day, in fact the impression I got from what it said was that you CAN use it everyday. I proably use it 3 or 4 days a week, the other days I use Thicker Fuller hair shampoo (although thinking about changing this, possibly for herbal essences) and very occasionly I use T-Gel.

G

if you apply minoxidil twice a day and wash/rinse your hair once a day, surely you are applying minoxidil onto a scalp full of the old dried on minoxidil?

I wash my hair twice a day before each minoxidil application to remove the barrier of sebum/dried minoxidil/crap so the new minoxidil application has nothing preventing it getting to the scalp.

Ty

G

pharoh said:
I generaly shampoo once a day. I use Nizorelle (same as nizoral, just UK version) and it does not say anywhere on it that you cannot use it every day, in fact the impression I got from what it said was that you CAN use it everyday. I proably use it 3 or 4 days a week, the other days I use Thicker Fuller hair shampoo (although thinking about changing this, possibly for herbal essences) and very occasionly I use T-Gel.

Pharoh the 'nizorelle' I first picked up in 'Boots' before I started to buy 'Nizoral' did not contain any of the magic ingredient Ketoconazole I think they make a couple of versions, make sure you got the good one!

Ty

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
eyh i noticed they had different versions of the stuff but on the side of the box it said it contains Ketoconazole. I use the version for oily hair, previously I had used the normal hair version.

Deaner

Reaction score
Once a day after work, that's it that's all. Used to shampoo alot more than i needed to when I was getting all fussy about my hair, but now it's just once a day.